The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Steal after BB

ASA Mens SP w/ Stealing

R1 at bat with 3-2 count. Next pitch is a ball that crosses the plate but is not in the strike zone (high). Batter begins to jog to 1B while the ball is returned to F1 who is on the pitching plate. As the BR approaches 1B, he notices that F4 and F6 are not paying attention, he touches 1B and breaks toward 2B. He reaches 2B with out a play being made.

There was a long discussion between the PU and the DC who felt that you can not steal when the P is on the pitching plate. The runner was allowed to stay on 2B.

Can anyone come up with a reason (rule citation) to return the runner to 1B?
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Just looking at RS 50 it says the ball remains live until the pitcher has the ball in the infield and the completion of all immediate play is apparent. So I would say with the BR going to 2B nonstop a play is apparent so let him go. Can't find anything contrary to that.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRef
ASA Mens SP w/ Stealing

R1 at bat with 3-2 count. Next pitch is a ball that crosses the plate but is not in the strike zone (high). Batter begins to jog to 1B while the ball is returned to F1 who is on the pitching plate. As the BR approaches 1B, he notices that F4 and F6 are not paying attention, he touches 1B and breaks toward 2B. He reaches 2B with out a play being made.

There was a long discussion between the PU and the DC who felt that you can not steal when the P is on the pitching plate. The runner was allowed to stay on 2B.

Can anyone come up with a reason (rule citation) to return the runner to 1B?
And you didn't ask me this last night?

This is perfectly legal as long as it is continuous. If the batter-runner stops and/or hesitates enough to the point the umpire believes play is complete while the pitcher possesses the ball in the infield, the ball is dead and runner returned to 1B. Note, the pitcher just needs to be in the infield with the ball. He does not need to be on or near the PP.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And you didn't ask me this last night?
Sorry, but I knew the answer. This play happened on another field during the qualifier tournament last weekend. Just off the top of my head, I felt that allowing the play to continue was correct as the play was continuous. However, there was a discussion for several minutes before everyone, except the DC, agreed that this was a legal play.