The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 08, 2014, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Pants

Are people having problems with honigs MLB poly/wool pants fading? If so, any secrets to the cleaning process without taking them to the dry cleaners? Anyone try/currently trying/or have tried the Smitty poly/wool umpire pants? Like them? Do not like them?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 02:57am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblue View Post
Are people having problems with honigs MLB poly/wool pants fading? If so, any secrets to the cleaning process without taking them to the dry cleaners? Anyone try/currently trying/or have tried the Smitty poly/wool umpire pants? Like them? Do not like them?

No matter the manufacturer, heather gray will fade eventually from exposure to the sun. That said I have found the Smitty fades at a much slower rate than the pants that Honig's sells. I also think that Smitty is a better quality pant than Cliff-Keen, but that is just my opinion from experience.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your response Mark. Do you show the same thoughts with regards to the charcoal poly wool pants?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

ANY color material will fade if worn out in the sun over time. I generaly got two years out of most of the pants I wore and bought knew ones. It is about one game fee and deductible at the end of the year.

The biggest problem I have had with Honiqs is the metal clasps not being sewed securly. Poor workmanship. This happened on two pair. i returned one and got crdit for another. I agree that the Smitty pants are also good.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Each year I get a new pair of Smitty plate and base ( charcoal ) and keep them for two years......this way I always have two pairs on hand......
Old Wed Jun 11, 2014, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Each year I get a new pair of Smitty plate and base ( charcoal ) and keep them for two years......this way I always have two pairs on hand......
Must be the new math ....

And, frankly, I think that this would be the minimum for anyone who has been in the game for more than two years and plans to stay in. I haven't counted in a while, but I think I have 7 pair of each.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2014, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have a bunch of the polywool pants. Some date back at least a dozen years.

Some I dry clean only, others get the "hand wash" cycle in the machine.

The older ones are just a fraction more faded than the newer ones. I never hang them in my car, and the only sunlight they see is during the day games.

The ones I machine wash really snap back to life after a trip to the dry cleaners.

I don't like machine drying them, though. Look at the lint basket after you, and you'll see why. That gray stuff is what you just took off your drawers.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I have a bunch of the polywool pants. Some date back at least a dozen years.

Some I dry clean only, others get the "hand wash" cycle in the machine.

The older ones are just a fraction more faded than the newer ones. I never hang them in my car, and the only sunlight they see is during the day games.

The ones I machine wash really snap back to life after a trip to the dry cleaners.

I don't like machine drying them, though. Look at the lint basket after you, and you'll see why. That gray stuff is what you just took off your drawers.
Kyle, haven't seen any posts lately. Glad your back.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2014, 04:26pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Since I predominantly umpire softball, I bought Fechheimer pants. They haven't faded on me yet. I bought two new pair last year to umpire in the ASA 18 Gold National Championship in Clearwater, FL, and I compared them to the Fechs I've been using for about three or four years now, and you cannot tell them apart.

Unfortunately, they only come in heather grey, and they don't make combo pants. So using them in baseball can be a problem if you require charcoal. But most baseball that I do is LL, so I'm okay with wearing my Fechs there.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 01:27pm
In Time Out

Arrow

Spray a UV and/or IT retardant on your pants. Fading solved!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 08:31am
Stop staring at me swan.

Use a garment bag when your stuff is hanging in your car. A lot of the fading comes from umpires hanging their stuff in the back of the car and it sits in the sun all day causing fade to your shirts and pants.

If stored properly your polys will last much, much longer than Smitty.