The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Batter's Box question

Are all areas of the batter's box considered FOUL or FAIR territory for a batted or bunted ball? I ask because PART of the box does, when looking at how a field is lined, rest in fair territory. What would be a call for a ball that does not reach beyond the lines of the batters box or touches the batter's box lines in the area in the very front of that box???
Old Mon Jun 16, 2014, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire2014 View Post
Are all areas of the batter's box considered FOUL or FAIR territory for a batted or bunted ball? I ask because PART of the box does, when looking at how a field is lined, rest in fair territory. What would be a call for a ball that does not reach beyond the lines of the batters box or touches the batter's box lines in the area in the very front of that box???
The foul lines extend to the back point of the plate -which I guess prompts your question.

For a batted ball that has come to rest or is touched while in the box: If it's in the fair area it's fair. If it's in the foul area it's foul. There's nothing special about the batter's box EXCEPT if a batted ball touches a batter-runner before he leaves the box it's a foul ball, not an out.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Yeah had a coach go ape..... This weekend claiming that if it didnt leave the batter's box it was a foul.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Found this as well where other umpires (consensus) are considering the area of the box in between the first and third base lines to be FAIR in the extreme front of the each box.

Fair/Foul Questions [Archive] - Forums

Last edited by Umpire2014; Tue Jun 17, 2014 at 09:50am.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

The coach is probably confusing the rule about the batted ball HITTING THE BATTER in the box. That's a foul, no matter where in the box it hits him. 6.05(g) if you're using OBR, but I believe all rule sets are the same.

If it doesn't hit the batter, the rules for fair/foul are the same in the batter's box as anywhere else on the field.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2014, 12:28pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Yeah had a coach go ape..... This weekend claiming that if it didnt leave the batter's box it was a foul.
Not surprising from a coach.

Almost all rule sets that I know of have a Definitions section, and every one of them provides a definition of Fair and Foul territory. Straight OBR (pro rules) says:

FAIR TERRITORY is that part of the playing field within, and including the first base and third base lines, from home base to the bottom of the playing field fence and perpendicularly upwards. All foul lines are in fair territory.

FOUL TERRITORY is that part of the playing field outside the first and third base lines extended to the fence and perpendicularly upwards.

And there's also the definition of a Foul Ball:

A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground.

Nope, nothing in there that says that a batted ball in the batter's box is Foul.

The reason why we call Foul when a batter is hit with his batted ball while in the box is because it's just too difficult to determine if he and the ball were in Fair or Foul territory when it hit him. Plus, it would be a bit unrealistic to expect him to keep from getting hit by a Fair batted ball while he's still in the box. So we rule Foul in those cases.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Awesome detail! Thanks. I've not had this situation but once (Sunday) of the games I have been the plate umpire. It was just a weird play that might not ever happen again, ever. Maybe he was looking for me to be more verbal as I didn't signal anything and the catcher did pick the ball up (thought about making a play until the coach/parents told him there was no play) and I didn't want to say anything that might be considered coaching or helping the defense. The batter ran like the roadrunner to first and the kid already on first went all the way to third on it. Coach became infuriated when I would not change my call.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

No matter how odd a play is, never say it will not happen again, because it will and next time you will have learned from the experience and have a better response.

No need for a verbal response, when calling a batted ball that is near a foul line FAIR, simply point toward the infield which should indicate to all that the ball is laying is a fair ball, if it was lying at rest in fair territory or picked up in fair territory by the catcher. When PU I use my left hand to do this, so the defense is not confused about what the call is which they might be if I brought my right hand up to point. This should give everyone the signal they need.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Coaches are idiots. It'll happen.

But don't EVER verbally call fair. When the ball is touched (or comes to rest), point fair. If NO ONE is doing anything (shouldn't happen with shaving ages, but it will happen at younger ages, especially with dumber coaches) continue to point fair. Eventually someone will see you and act accordingly.

Also, don't stay (or return to) behind catcher. Move away like you would on any other hit, and stay away.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Awesome detail! Thanks. I've not had this situation but once (Sunday) of the games I have been the plate umpire. It was just a weird play that might not ever happen again, ever. Maybe he was looking for me to be more verbal as I didn't signal anything and the catcher did pick the ball up (thought about making a play until the coach/parents told him there was no play) and I didn't want to say anything that might be considered coaching or helping the defense. The batter ran like the roadrunner to first and the kid already on first went all the way to third on it. Coach became infuriated when I would not change my call.
On close plays on the Line, I always point fair or say "FOUL".
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.