The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Pants

This is my second year doing softball. Last year I got 2 pairs of Smitty combo pants that lasted me through HS and Travel ball. Started the year with them but I'd like to get something better. I got a pair of Gerry Davis plate pants off ebay and like them pretty well.

So two questions:

1) In Alabama we usually will do a V/JV doubleheader and in Summer we'll work plate/base/off on a three game rotation. Do most people use combo pants for this or do you switch from plate to base pants?

2) Any comments on Gerry Davis, Cliff Keen or Plus POS? I've seen too many pairs of pink Fecheimers to put them on the table. I'll have to break down and buy a pair of those next season if I get my National but I'll delay it till then.

Thanks for your input.

Derek
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
This is my second year doing softball. Last year I got 2 pairs of Smitty combo pants that lasted me through HS and Travel ball. Started the year with them but I'd like to get something better. I got a pair of Gerry Davis plate pants off ebay and like them pretty well.

So two questions:

1) In Alabama we usually will do a V/JV doubleheader and in Summer we'll work plate/base/off on a three game rotation. Do most people use combo pants for this or do you switch from plate to base pants?

2) Any comments on Gerry Davis, Cliff Keen or Plus POS? I've seen too many pairs of pink Fecheimers to put them on the table. I'll have to break down and buy a pair of those next season if I get my National but I'll delay it till then.

Thanks for your input.

Derek
I've never seen a pair of pink Fechheimers and I own a half-dozen.

But pants are pants and to each his own. Personally, I like the Fechheimers. I've not had a pair last less than 3 seasons, but I wear them all the time, not just on the field.

Did not know +POS was still in business.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

If by "pink" you mean faded (where if you wear them beyond merely faded, they do become kind of brownish-gray), then I think that is a hazard of the heather gray color, not the brand, since I've experienced this with several brands.

As far as combo pants, I'd wear them as a less baggy leg plate pant, but they are still a bit too baggy for me to use on the bases. In tournaments where I will be switching off between base and plate, I will change between games unless there is absolutely no time. On the bases, I wear a different shirt, pants, shoes, and hat. And since I have to take my shoes off and take the belt out anyway (to take off / put on the ball bags - I use 2), swapping pants is not that much more time.

GD doesn't make anything, so I really don't know who makes the pants that carry his brand. Just be sure you have the right shade of gray if you're buying from a baseball-is-the-only-game-that-matters vendor, like GD. The darker gray is baseball only AFAIK.

Fech and CK are roughly equivalent in quality. Between the two, I prefer CK due to a double clasp and a more effective "gripper" waste band for keeping your shirt tucked in. If you are planning on ASA Nationals, you'll need the Fech western pocket style pants (which I hate since the pocket is only useful for hooking your thumbs in while in a Texas boot dance line).
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I use the ASA heather gray Fechheimers when working fast pitch. I own both plate and base pants. I agree with IRISHMAFIA, they're great pants, I do not however wear them off the field.

During the high school season we work single games (typically, during the week) so changing pants is not an issue. I bring both pair when working tournaments and quickly change between games when need be.

Both slow pitch associations that I belong to wear blue pants. I'm not a fan of the navy blue Fechheimers however. It seems like a different material to me. I own a pair, but never wear them. In fact, I doubt if any other slow pitch officials I work with even owns a pair - we generally wear shorts.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

As far as combo pants, I'd wear them as a less baggy leg plate pant, but they are still a bit too baggy for me to use on the bases. In tournaments where I will be switching off between base and plate, I will change between games unless there is absolutely no time. On the bases, I wear a different shirt, pants, shoes, and hat. And since I have to take my shoes off and take the belt out anyway (to take off / put on the ball bags - I use 2), swapping pants is not that much more time.
That's pretty much where I'm at.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

The combos work OK for me. I have a few pairs of those, plus a couple of pairs of base-only and plate-only pants. Which I wear on a given day might depend on if I'm working multiple games, switching back and forth, or if I'm working a game where I know for sure ahead of time if I'll be working the plate or bases.

The deciding factor, more often than not, is which pair happens to be laundered and pressed!

Our state high school association has approved the darker grey (charcoal) pants for softball and no longer requires heather grey. Either is acceptable for regular season. All umpires must match in playoff games. ASA in these parts is all navy blue pants.

I have a couple of pairs of Cliff Keen heather grey combos that I love, but after a few seasons they have taken on that "pinkish" hue. They fit great, are structurally sound, but if the light hits them just right they look pretty bad. I hate to retire otherwise great pants and looked into options of having them dyed to either restore the heather grey color or match the darker grey. Unfortunately, polyester cannot be dyed using normal dye available to the average consumer. They require a special dye and temperatures near boiling before polyester will absorb the dye. The process is nearly impossible for someone to do at home.

I recently bought a pair of the Smitty charcoal combo pants and they aren't bad. They are definitely darker than heather grey, but a shade lighter than the Cliff Keen pants, so they still aren't a perfect match if your partner is wearing the CK's. I like the "expandable" waist band as it takes some of the guesswork out of ordering pants through the mail. I wear a 36" in jeans and dress pants. The CK 36's are pretty snug and the Fechhiemers I can barely button. I'm forced to "size up" for those brands- 37" in the CK's and 38" in the Fech's.

Smitty pants had some really big quality issues a couple of years ago. These pants were regarded as junk, with bad color fading, poor seams and construction and metal hooks that ripped out. They have addressed these issues with their manufacturer and, from what I can find, their quality issues are a thing of the past.

I did have a problem with the Smitty navy blue pants I recently ordered. They were advertised as also having the expansion waistband, so I orderd a size 36. However, when these pants arrived they did NOT have the expansion waistband. They are on the snug side for fit.

I contacted the seller with my concerns, and they in turn contacted Smitty. The story I got was that there was a pre-season change to the design of these pants. A last minute decision was made to produce these pants with the western-style pocket. Somehow, the story went, the last minute change precluded their ability to produce these with the expansion waistband. Their pre-season advertising materials had already been released, touting the expansion waist, before these pants hit the market.

The umpire supply store that I ordered these from- and whose own website advertised these as having the expansion waistband- was less than accomodating. They offered to exchange the pants if I returned them at my own expense for shipping, or I could exchange them in person at their store for no charge- other than the gas it would take to complete the four hour round trip from my home to their store!

So now I'm stuck with a pair of usable, but not quite optimal, otherwise decent pair of Smitty navy blue combo pants. Has anyone else bought the navy blue Smitty's? Did they have the expansion waistband? I can't help but wonder if this supplier just sent me a pair of "last year's" pants.

One thing I hate about buying gear and uniforms on-line is the issues you can have with fit. There is one umpire equipment store here in town, just a few minutes from my house and it's nice be able to try something on before buying it. But they exclusively carry Cliff Keen pants and shirts, so there isn't much option on what brands you can try.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

$25 plate pants. not pink.....yet.

Stripes & Strikes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
$25 plate pants. not pink.....yet.

Stripes & Strikes
"Fetchheimer" pants? Is that a knock off brand of Fechheimer?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post

So two questions:

Thanks for your input.

Derek

Derek, as Tom has already stated, sooner or later the "pink" appearance will happen with any heather gray umpire pant. I have had more luck with Fechheimer than with any other that I have tried (Cliff Keen, Dalco), and subsequently those are all that I order now.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I have a car with a light grey interior and the headrests in the back seat are getting that pinkish-hue when the light hits them just right!
Old Mon Apr 12, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

LOL! no, just bad spelling. I can assure you, his pants legit flying cross heather greys, and GTG. I got some. you really can't beat his $25 price. two years ago, he had a special for $20 flying cross heather grey base pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
"Fetchheimer" pants? Is that a knock off brand of Fechheimer?