The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2014, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction/runner hit by ball

Had this happen in a PeeWee game the other day

Batter hits the ball toward the middle of first and second. Second base fielder is lined up in the base path. Runner on first slows down to avoid the second baseman. Runner is hit by the second baseman and then hit by the batted ball. Runner is safe at first and second. I rule that the runner would not have gained any further bases and leave it be, runners at first and second. What is the correct call?
Old Sat May 31, 2014, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post

Batter hits the ball toward the middle of first and second. Second base fielder is lined up in the base path. Runner on first slows down to avoid the second baseman. Runner is hit by the second baseman and then hit by the batted ball. Runner is safe at first and second. I rule that the runner would not have gained any further bases and leave it be, runners at first and second. What is the correct call?
Did the second baseman have a play on the ball?
Old Sat May 31, 2014, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Did the second baseman have a play on the ball?
Yes
Old Sat May 31, 2014, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes
INT on the runner, he's out. BR gets 1B, all others return.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2014, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Unless you are in Canada where PeeWee might be a different size than we envision your call was incorrect but appropriate for that particular game.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2014, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Unless you are in Canada where PeeWee might be a different size than we envision your call was incorrect but appropriate for that particular game.
Why do you think it was approprite for that particular game? (serious question)

I'm having trouble seeing where this is anything but INT even at Tee-ball.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2014, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why didn't you have interference? Sounds (at first read) like textbook interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 02, 2014, 11:57am
Stirrer of the Pot

Agree with the others. At all levels, a fielder moving into position to field a batted ball is not subject to an obstruction call. So from your description of the play, the second baseman had every right to be in the runner's path. The moment there is contact between the runner and the second baseman before the second baseman attains possession of the ball, you have interference. You call Time, and rule that runner out. The fact that the batted ball hit the runner has no bearing on the play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 02, 2014, 02:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Agree with the others. At all levels, a fielder moving into position to field a batted ball is not subject to an obstruction call. So from your description of the play, the second baseman had every right to be in the runner's path. The moment there is contact between the runner and the second baseman before the second baseman attains possession of the ball, you have interference. You call Time, and rule that runner out. The fact that the batted ball hit the runner has no bearing on the play.

And lets not forget the possible second out of the B/R. R1's interference prevented the defensive team from possibly completing a 4-6-3 DP.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. We have to get outs anyway we can get them.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 08, 2014, 01:41pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Yessir...as long as you get that call RIGHT!!
Old Sun Jun 08, 2014, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And lets not forget the possible second out of the B/R. R1's interference prevented the defensive team from possibly completing a 4-6-3 DP.

MTD, Sr.

In FED you can call a DP if a DP was possible.

In OBR you can only call a DP if you judge that the runner's actions were a willful deliberate attempt to break up a DP.