The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
When I did collage I called it every time it happened. A coarch wanted to protest but his assistant calmed him down and said that I got the call right! Imagine that!
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
When I did collage I called it every time it happened. A coarch wanted to protest but his assistant calmed him down and said that I got the call right! Imagine that!
How many times did you see it?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I did mostly junior colleges and I saw it I think a total of 3 times.

In umpiring for 50+ years, I would say I saw it more more than 7 or 8 time at HS and up, but maybe 25 times in JR HS and below.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
This NCAA umpire does if he sees it.
Why wasn't it called in the OP or the previous years sits? Is it because it happens so quick that the safe call prevents further rumination on what actually happened? Did the lack of a swing not give the ump a hook to hang his hat on. The previous years occurrence had a big dog defending no call.
Would you cite where you goy the NCAA interp?
BTW, I agree I would call CI in reviewing the video. But I have had a steal of home with a wild pitch that hit me and the catcher was definitely in front of the plate trying to catch it. No swing by the batter. No call except safe and ball. It's an interesting situation that you can know the rule but when it happens you rule differently.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Why wasn't it called in the OP or the previous years sits? Is it because it happens so quick that the safe call prevents further rumination on what actually happened? Did the lack of a swing not give the ump a hook to hang his hat on. The previous years occurrence had a big dog defending no call.
Because they were wrong.

Quote:
Would you cite where you goy the NCAA interp?
It's on the central hub in one of the interpretation meetings.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Because they were wrong.

It's on the central hub in one of the interpretation meetings.
Could you post the link?
Old Tue Apr 01, 2014, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

http://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.co...rpsApril11.pdf
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 11:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Here's the rule. I bolded parts that you can use to call or not call the CI:

"e. If any defensive player interferes with the batter’s swing or prevents the
individual from striking at a pitched ball
;
I don't see how anyone could argue that a catcher moving onto or in front of the plate does not prevent the batter from striking at a pitched ball. Do you really need the batter to physically swing the bat to make that determination?

Quote:
A.R.—Catcher’s interference on a batter should be called only on the batter’s actual swing to hit the pitch. If a batter, during preliminary loosening-up swings, hits the catcher or the catcher’s mitt during the backswing, the umpire immediately should call time, and not interference. The pitch or swing should not be allowed since the batter’s concentration or rhythm could be affected.
What you highlighted should be taken into context only with the complete A.R., not as a universal statement. It's basically instructing umpires that not all types of contact between the batter's bat and the catcher/mitt are CI. That doesn't mean that the only way to call CI is to have the batter actually swing and be prevented from hitting the ball.

If the catcher grabs the bat while it's still in the batter's prep position, and the batter looks back at the catcher with a "WTF?" expression on his face as the pitch comes in, please tell us you'll make the CI call, even though there was no swing attempt.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I don't see how anyone could argue that a catcher moving onto or in front of the plate does not prevent the batter from striking at a pitched ball. Do you really need the batter to physically swing the bat to make that determination?

What you highlighted should be taken into context only with the complete A.R., not as a universal statement. It's basically instructing umpires that not all types of contact between the batter's bat and the catcher/mitt are CI. That doesn't mean that the only way to call CI is to have the batter actually swing and be prevented from hitting the ball.

If the catcher grabs the bat while it's still in the batter's prep position, and the batter looks back at the catcher with a "WTF?" expression on his face as the pitch comes in, please tell us you'll make the CI call, even though there was no swing attempt.
I agree with a CI call. I'm just trying see if there is some justification why some NCAA big dogs don't call it. I guess they haven't seen Matt's NCAA interp. On a previous discussion on another site there was arguement that no swing would be no CI.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

There's lots of stuff in those old interps that I (for one) had forgot. I happened to go through many of them a week or so ago, looking for something else.

I should probably go through all of them again.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 12:46pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I agree with a CI call. I'm just trying see if there is some justification why some NCAA big dogs don't call it.
Truthfully, this is probably something that caught the umpire by total surprise, and it didn't dawn on him that he should have awarded the batter first base.

How often do you actually see someone try a straight steal of home, much less be successful? And then throw on top of that the fact that the catcher moved forward, caught the pitch, and still failed to tag the runner in time? And the whole time, the batter just stood there making zero attempt to protect the runner.

It wouldn't surprise me if the plate umpire knew of the correct interp, but he just failed to make the right call because this once-in-a-lifetime occurrence caused a brain cramp.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Truthfully, this is probably something that caught the umpire by total surprise, and it didn't dawn on him that he should have awarded the batter first base.

How often do you actually see someone try a straight steal of home, much less be successful? And then throw on top of that the fact that the catcher moved forward, caught the pitch, and still failed to tag the runner in time? And the whole time, the batter just stood there making zero attempt to protect the runner.

It wouldn't surprise me if the plate umpire knew of the correct interp, but he just failed to make the right call because this once-in-a-lifetime occurrence caused a brain cramp.
Caught these guys by surprise also:

Video: Triple Steal, Part II - Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site

And this link: OSU/OU - stealing home (video) - Collegiate - Umpire-Empire
is a thread about an OSU-OU game where it was not called. I don't think the video link works now but the thread has a still of the CI. Anyway, many argue not to call it and it wasn't called in these games and the OP. Whether by surprise or design I don't know.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a MLBUM, PBUC or BRD case that says that, under OBR, a swing/attempted swing/contact is required for a balk/CI call?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2014, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Is there a MLBUM, PBUC or BRD case that says that, under OBR, a swing/attempted swing/contact is required for a balk/CI call?
Not that I know of, and since the specific rule (7.07) is that catching the ball in front of the plate (on a steal / squeeze) is a balk and CI, I don't think there is one.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2014, 04:40pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
For sure that will be one of the videos presented at next year's NCAA pre-season clinics.
I agree, but likely not for the same reason.

A steal of home to tie up a rivalry game in the ninth generates great excitement, and I'll bet you a buck the NCAA facilitators will focus not on the missed call, but will instead reinforce the need for umpires to keep the players on the bench/warning track during live ball action.

I like how the ball boy ignored the celebration and just took care of his business of getting the plate umpire's supply replenished.