The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Who's out on steal home??

Had a situation last night where I'm not sure I called the right person out.

R2, R3, 1 out. Passed Ball that the catcher chases after, runners steal on the passed ball, batter backs out of the box right into the path of the catcher who is running back to plate to try and tag R3 as he slides home.

I know on a BI on a pitch where R3 is stealing it would be R3 that is called out in this situation, however, I had a passed ball where the interference took place.

I called R3 out because R3 was stealing home with less then 2 outs. Was I correct or should I have called batter out and returned the runners? Of course no one argued the call because none of the coaches know any of the rules.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear

R2, R3, 1 out. Passed Ball that the catcher chases after, runners steal on the passed ball, batter backs out of the box right into the path of the catcher who is running back to plate to try and tag R3 as he slides home.

I know on a BI on a pitch where R3 is stealing it would be R3 that is called out in this situation, however, I had a passed ball where the interference took place.

I called R3 out because R3 was stealing home with less then 2 outs. Was I correct or should I have called batter out and returned the runners? Of course no one argued the call because none of the coaches know any of the rules.
I think with less than 2 the batter is out and 2 outs the runner closest to home which this would obviously the play at home. Now if the catcher tags the batter out anyhow it doesnt matter because the hinderence didnt mess with the catcher. However if you think the catcher would have had the tag down to even make it close Id enforce the INT

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

R3 out, BR still at the plate, and R2 returned to second.

With two outs, the batter is out on an attempted steal of home. With less than two outs, R3 is out.

-Josh
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
I think with less than 2 the batter is out and 2 outs the runner closest to home which this would obviously the play at home. Now if the catcher tags the batter out anyhow it doesnt matter because the hinderence didnt mess with the catcher. However if you think the catcher would have had the tag down to even make it close Id enforce the INT
Why would the catcher be tagging the batter in this play?
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
For fun?
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Wow. Can you or can't you answer this question? You think? (And before anyone thinks I'm picking on you, I'd refer them to the HSM thread where you harp on umpire professionalism and equate that to wearing a hat under the helmet. I would strongly argue that the ultimate standard of umpire professionalism is the knowledge of the rules of the game and being able to communiate them. But I digress.)

I'll assume you meant "tag R3 out." I would not use that as my only barometer. If the INT happens, I'll call it (and I could see contact without interference, but likely the play is going to call itself and I'm not going to wait for the outcome of the tag to decide). Part of the penalty is to return R2 to second, so it makes a difference.

With less than 2 outs, R3 is out. Return R2 to second. With 2 outs, the batter is out.

Of course, this lets me drag out the old video of me making this call in a D-3 game at Miller Park:

http://fronheiser.net/interference.mov

Last edited by Rich; Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 10:30am.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Play at the plate with BI:
Less than 2 out, R3 out for BI, other runners return TOP (no one can score on BI)

With 2 out, we call out the batter (we don't want him up again)
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Glad to see I made the right call.

Here's a twist to the situation: Bases loaded, 1 out. All runners stealing on the pitch, wild pitch that goes to the backstop, R3 scores easily, R2 attempts to steal home and the BI is called as R2 is attempting to score. What do you have? R3 scores, R2 out and R1 back @ first?? R2 out and R3 and R1 back at their TOP bases??

Last edited by tibear; Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 10:59am.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
your totally right I ment pitcher

Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Wow. Can you or can't you answer this question? You think? (And before anyone thinks I'm picking on you, I'd refer them to the HSM thread where you harp on umpire professionalism and equate that to wearing a hat under the helmet. I would strongly argue that the ultimate standard of umpire professionalism is the knowledge of the rules of the game and being able to communiate them. But I digress.)

I'll assume you meant "tag R3 out." I would not use that as my only barometer. If the INT happens, I'll call it (and I could see contact without interference, but likely the play is going to call itself and I'm not going to wait for the outcome of the tag to decide). Part of the penalty is to return R2 to second, so it makes a difference.

With less than 2 outs, R3 is out. Return R2 to second. With 2 outs, the batter is out.

Of course, this lets me drag out the old video of me making this call in a D-3 game at Miller Park:

http://fronheiser.net/interference.mov
I did mean that and I ment pitcher.. dang I shoulda waited till I woke up a little but at work before I posted that haha

Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Glad to see I made the right call.

Here's a twist to the situation: Bases loaded, 1 out. All runners stealing on the pitch, wild pitch that goes to the backstop, R3 scores easily, R2 attempts to steal home and the BI is called as R2 is attempting to score. What do you have? R3 scores, R2 out and R1 back @ first??
Unless someone can find something specific, I'd put the runners at the TOI base.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Unless someone can find something specific, I'd put the runners at the TOI base.

That's the way that I would see it also. The BI is mainly protecting the catcher on an immediate play. Once the first runner has scored, then it simply becomes interference.

By the way, I love the video Rich - especially the guy who hollers out "learn the rules"

That was a very strange play.

THanks
David
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
That's the way that I would see it also. The BI is mainly protecting the catcher on an immediate play. Once the first runner has scored, then it simply becomes interference.

By the way, I love the video Rich - especially the guy who hollers out "learn the rules"

That was a very strange play.

THanks
David
David,

Using your logic here would the original play that I had last night be BI or straight interference because R3 wasn't stealing on the pitch but rather the passed ball??? Either way R3 would have been out but may have a difference on the placement of the other runner. (Changes from TOP to TOI)
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think the passed ball is an intervening event, so any remaining runners would return to their TOI bases.