The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Score one run, place runners on 2nd & 3rd. Eject defensive HC. Circle the wagons.

OR

Place runners on 1st & 2nd & replay. Eject offensive HC. Circle the wagons.
I would go with option 2 here. I can't see awarding the offense for their actions. But, I wouldn't eject the HC if he wasn't the 3rd base coach.

Wanna triple play? What if it was a caught fly ball and runners tag. 1 out on the catch, 2 more outs for not properly tagging up?
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
I would go with option 2 here. I can't see awarding the offense for their actions. But, I wouldn't eject the HC if he wasn't the 3rd base coach.

Wanna triple play? What if it was a caught fly ball and runners tag. 1 out on the catch, 2 more outs for not properly tagging up?
I know (well, think...) you're being funny here ... but what tagging up rule did they violate? Reading the actual rule, I don't believe you can call them out for that on this play.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I know (well, think...) you're being funny here ... but what tagging up rule did they violate? Reading the actual rule, I don't believe you can call them out for that on this play.
I was referring to the OP. The question was posed if there was a double hit with runners on the wrong bases, assuming with direct knowledge, what should be done?

I was playing devils advocate in responding to scoring any runs. If we allow runs to score on a base hit, then we should allow outs to count as well.

They tagged up at the wrong bases
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Barring orders to the contrary, I’ve got nothing other than a shorter leash on the O, maybe one or more EJ reports and a topic for post game with the crew. I contend that the ball was never “properly” live following the dead ball.

I propose word-smithing 5.1.4 (how to make a dead ball live) to include what is provided in 8.2.2 so that it reads something like, “…in their respective boxes, all runners return to their appropriate base, and the umpire…”

Also, 8.2.9 provides that each “runner returns to the base he had reached or passed when the ball became dead.”
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you proposing outs...rule cite?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Ejecting the players for doing what a coach told them to do is extreme.
Yeah, if they were 10U or 12U, perhaps. But high school and college players? They should know better, and they deserve the ramifications of their willingness to essentially cheat.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Yeah, if they were 10U or 12U, perhaps. But high school and college players? They should know better, and they deserve the ramifications of their willingness to essentially cheat.
I agree with college players, but IMO, they are less likely to cheat in this manner. Most HS kids are 15-16 yrs old, so I hold most of the blame on the coach. I'm just not going to punish a kid for doing what he was told or allowed to do.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 10:26am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
I'm just not going to punish a kid for doing what he was told or allowed to do.
Really? Coach tells his SS to always fake a tag on a hit & run. You don't warn him & award R1 a base? What if he does it a second time?

HS players are intelligent enough to remember which base they started on. If they switch, it's on them as much as on their coach.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
. If you go with the whole "passing a runner" BS, then you have to call BR out every time he hits a foul fly ball and rounds first and R1.
Nope. The batter only becomes a runner when he hits a FAIR ball. He's not a runner in this case so he can't be guilty of passing.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Are there FED versions of OBR 9.01 (c) and (d)? I haven't worked high school ball in decades, so can't recall.

(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.
(d) Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager or substitute for...unsportsmanlike conduct...and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field....
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Are there FED versions of OBR 9.01 (c) and (d)? I haven't worked high school ball in decades, so can't recall.

(c) Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.
(d) Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager or substitute for...unsportsmanlike conduct...and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field....
Yes.

10-2-3-g
10-2-3-c and 3-3-1-g
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Nope. The batter only becomes a runner when he hits a FAIR ball. He's not a runner in this case so he can't be guilty of passing.
Fine, let's go with runners passing each other upon returning on a long uncaught foul ball.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
You don't? Wow.

JJ
You do? Ouch.

When does the batter become a batter-runner?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Fine, let's go with runners passing each other upon returning on a long uncaught foul ball.
While still in flight? You should be calling this if it happens. Then again, in 21 years, I've never seen it happen.

After it lands? Not illegal.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
While still in flight? You should be calling this if it happens.
No, you shouldn't, fair or foul. Wait to make the call until it drops fair.