The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

26 seconds left in a tie game. The home team has the ball. They pass the ball around in their front court for about 20 seconds at which point the number 2 guard puts up a three pointer from the corner. It goes in. The crowd goes crazy. Their is about 3 seonds left on the clock when the ball went in. The visitors immediately get the ball and inbound it. I'm trail but I can't hear the coach yell for a timeout. I don't see anyone call for a timeout until after time has expired. The visiting coach is upset. The assistant coach said that he was yelling for a timeout.

My question is this, what should I have done differently to get the timeout? I was watching my primary. I couldn't take my eyes off of the game or I could have missed a foul. You're not suppose to grant a timeout unless you know it came from the head coach or a player on the court (an assistant can't call timeout). So how do you handle a situation where the coach is yelling for a timeout when he's behind you? In this situation I didnt even hear it because of the crowd.

Thanks!
Randall

P.S. Wow, I'm now a senior member!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
26 seconds left in a tie game. The home team has the ball. They pass the ball around in their front court for about 20 seconds at which point the number 2 guard puts up a three pointer from the corner. It goes in. The crowd goes crazy. Their is about 3 seonds left on the clock when the ball went in. The visitors immediately get the ball and inbound it. I'm trail but I can't hear the coach yell for a timeout. I don't see anyone call for a timeout until after time has expired. The visiting coach is upset. The assistant coach said that he was yelling for a timeout.

My question is this, what should I have done differently to get the timeout? I was watching my primary. I couldn't take my eyes off of the game or I could have missed a foul. You're not suppose to grant a timeout unless you know it came from the head coach or a player on the court (an assistant can't call timeout). So how do you handle a situation where the coach is yelling for a timeout when he's behind you? In this situation I didnt even hear it because of the crowd.

Thanks!
Randall

P.S. Wow, I'm now a senior member!

Pregame, pregame, pregame...

Both with your parter and the coaches...

Coach I can't grant your timeout unless I can see you, tell him/her to make sure the kids are listening for him and signal the time out as well.

As for as you and your partner. I always have the Trail that is transitioning to lead glance at the bench before running off to see if the HC is signaling... This works pretty well, the new trail is a little busy right there with the throw in...IMO
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493

As for as you and your partner. I always have the Trail that is transitioning to lead glance at the bench before running off to see if the HC is signaling... This works pretty well, the new trail is a little busy right there with the throw in...IMO [/B]
FWIW--I see way too often in a 2-whistle game the Trail takes off, head down looking at where to place their feet as they run down the court...no way can they see the coach across the way or to their side...or even a player requesting a TO

A real good reason to turn one's head and run down the floor, watching the action...especially under these kind of situations...anticipate the TO and you won't be surprised.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I stayed near the division line to help out

I did not immediately turn and go to the opposite endline because I was anticipating pressure. Both teams had been putting on a great deal of backcourt pressure. I tend to stay around the division line or at least as deep as the deepest player in these types of pressure situations. Therefore, I didn't turn to go to my new lead position.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:51am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
You're not suppose to grant a timeout unless you know it came from the head coach or a player on the court (an assistant can't call timeout). So how do you handle a situation where the coach is yelling for a timeout when he's behind you? In this situation I didnt even hear it because of the crowd.
Randall,
We should anticipate the coaches' requests at certain times in the game. Glance at the bench when those times are ripe:
  • Last second tight games
  • Opponents making a 6-point run
  • Team having trouble with a press.

If the gym (often small gyms) is anticipated to be noisy with a large crowd, ask the coaches to give you the visual Coach's *Time-out T* instead of expecting you to hear a request.

Also, know that a player may request a time-out and that the oral request could also have come from them.
    Obviously the players, too, missed the request.

mick

Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:27am
    Official Forum Member

Like everyone says....PREGAME, PREGAME, PREGAME. Learn from the situation and incorporate into every one of your future pregame conferences. When it gets crazy you've got your hands full, no doubt, especially in a 2 whistle game - that's where your partner can pick you up. But you've got to be prepared for the situation. Might also be a good idea to briefly discuss during a dead ball time near the end of the game - briefly discuss possible situations such as intentional fouls, last second shot, coaches wanting time outs, etc.

Consider it a valuable learning experience - hang in there.