The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Illegal bat use

Just making sure I'm correct here. Please comment if I'm wrong.

NFHS rules.

In pre-game UIC receives verification from each head coach his equipment is in accordance with NFHS rules.

Batter enters box with illegal bat (first offence): OUT and coach restricted to dugout as described in 4-1-3b.
Batter enters box with illegal bat (second offence): OUT and coach ejected as described in 4-1-3b.
Batter uses illegal bat (discovered before next pitch): OUT or defense may accept result of the play..Either way coach still restricted or ejected as described in 4-1-3b.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Just making sure I'm correct here. Please comment if I'm wrong.

NFHS rules.

In pre-game UIC receives verification from each head coach his equipment is in accordance with NFHS rules.
Batter enters box with illegal bat (first offence): OUT and coach restricted to dugout as described in 4-1-3b.
Batter enters box with illegal bat (second offence): OUT and coach ejected as described in 4-1-3b.
Batter uses illegal bat (discovered before next pitch): OUT or defense may accept result of the play..Either way coach still restricted or ejected as described in 4-1-3b.
That all seems correct, but this part doesn't matter to the penalties -- you impose those even if the coach isn't asked.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Apparently a pitch to the following batter legitimizes the illegal bat used by the previous batter. Does that also negate any disciplinary action which could be taken against the coach?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Apparently a pitch to the following batter legitimizes the illegal bat used by the previous batter. Does that also negate any disciplinary action which could be taken against the coach?
How are you going to know that there was an illegal bat the batter prior?
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

That brings up an interesting scenario.

Abel bats and gets a base hit. Baker then picks up the same bat (which is witnessed by UIC) and assumes his position in the batters box. At which time UIC notices it is an illegal bat (before next pitch is delivered).
Do you:
a) call Baker out for entering the batters box with an illegal bat.
b) call out Abel for using an illegal bat.
c) Both a & b.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That brings up an interesting scenario.

Abel bats and gets a base hit. Baker then picks up the same bat (which is witnessed by UIC) and assumes his position in the batters box. At which time UIC notices it is an illegal bat (before next pitch is delivered).
Do you:
a) call Baker out for entering the batters box with an illegal bat.
b) call out Abel for using an illegal bat.
c) Both a & b.
C in FED/OBR, B in NCAA.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Note: Unlike an illegal bat, if a bat is damaged, it becomes illegal upon discovery and there is no penalty until it is used again in the game. CP 1.3.5 sit d