The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I recall doing a LL State tournament years ago, and the tournament UIC from the host league received permission to use his local umpires as LFUs and RFUs, as a form of gratitude for their volunteerism during the regular season.
It's even better (worse) at the softball World Series that's held in Portland. The umpires that aren't working the bases or plate all get to do a foul line during the championship game. They rotate in every couple innings. This way they can all say they were on the championship game, no matter how good or bad they were.

At our district tournaments we use crews of 3 at most. To me that's all you really need on a small diamond anyway. When we're invited to send umpires to a state tournament we send a crew of 3 as well (the district sending the crew chooses the size of the crew).
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 05:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
It's even better (worse) at the softball World Series that's held in Portland. The umpires that aren't working the bases or plate all get to do a foul line during the championship game. They rotate in every couple innings. This way they can all say they were on the championship game, no matter how good or bad they were.

At our district tournaments we use crews of 3 at most. To me that's all you really need on a small diamond anyway. When we're invited to send umpires to a state tournament we send a crew of 3 as well (the district sending the crew chooses the size of the crew).
Senior Baseball World Series final they did the same. Infield umpires stayed the same, line guys rotated in. They were given the option to not work the game instead and IIRC, one or two guys figured since they weren't in the infield that they wouldn't bother working.

Some good umpires got left out and were somewhat unhappy. But only 4 umpires of 12 could work the infield.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 05:36am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Senior Baseball World Series final they did the same. Infield umpires stayed the same, line guys rotated in. They were given the option to not work the game instead and IIRC, one or two guys figured since they weren't in the infield that they wouldn't bother working.

Some good umpires got left out and were somewhat unhappy. But only 4 umpires of 12 could work the infield.
Frankly, I think that's a silly practice. The championship game should go to the top six umpires, and that's it. If the remaining umpires weren't good enough to make the crew, then so be it; it's the nature of the beast. Allowing them to rotate into the lines devalues the positions. And heaven forbid that the 12th-rated umpire out of 12 blows a fair/foul or catch/no catch call at a critical juncture in the game.

I vaguely recall years ago during the LLWS when a LL umpire from Canada failed to see a home run that hit the foul pole. I think he ruled that the ball never left the field and hit the fence, or maybe he ruled it foul, I can't really remember. Imagine something like that happening in a regional championship game where instant replay is not used to correct, and the call is made by an umpire who just came in from the cold late in the game.

Regardless of how good this umpire is, the perception would be that the call was made by someone who wasn't focused because he just entered. I could hear the ESPN announcers now, lamenting, "Hey, that umpire wasn't the same guy who made the catch call in the third inning! What's going on here?" Why deal with that hassle?

It's an honor to work the final game, and that honor should be bestowed on the best of the best. JMO
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Allowing them to rotate into the lines devalues the positions.
I had to laugh at this. I believe everyone here considers the RFU and LFU to be completely worthless and un-needed for a LL game, no matter the magnitude of the game.

So allowing them to rotate devalues something we would all consider valueless. Had to laugh.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I had to laugh at this. I believe everyone here considers the RFU and LFU to be completely worthless and un-needed for a LL game, no matter the magnitude of the game.

So allowing them to rotate devalues something we would all consider valueless. Had to laugh.
Well, I didn't want to go there, but I agree with you. There's no reason for them other than to mimic the big boys. And even there it is overkill.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 02:55am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's no reason a U2 needs to come inside. It's easy to get a 90-degree angle to the throw on the outside and make a call at second. It's how I umpire when I work U2 in any game, including LL games.

And yet you still see 3 umpires pivoting inside unnecessarily on balls hit to the outfield, when the ideal number doing so would be ZERO.
I've seen worse in a Texas playoff series. It was a third round series which is halfway to the state final.

The four man crew came out dressed in red shirts. The very first batter hit a fly ball to centerfield, and HPU came busting out to the pitcher's mound to make the catch signal.............It was downhill after that. Missed rotations, missed balks, etc.

I was sitting next to the scout/coach for the team the winner would face. I said, "Do you want that same crew for you series?" He shook his head, and said, "No. That is one of the first things I'm going to tell my head coach about. Close plays can go either way, but we at least want somebody that knows where to be on a close play."

I don't blame him.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I've seen worse in a Texas playoff series. It was a third round series which is halfway to the state final.

The four man crew came out dressed in red shirts. The very first batter hit a fly ball to centerfield, and HPU came busting out to the pitcher's mound to make the catch signal.............It was downhill after that. Missed rotations, missed balks, etc.

I was sitting next to the scout/coach for the team the winner would face. I said, "Do you want that same crew for you series?" He shook his head, and said, "No. That is one of the first things I'm going to tell my head coach about. Close plays can go either way, but we at least want somebody that knows where to be on a close play."

I don't blame him.
Wondering if this was my "TIE" caller guy from earlier. And I suspect I know who the PU at the mound guy was too.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I can't take these guys !!!!!!

Started watching Panama and Puerto Rico yesterday and guy behind dish made me sick........

Passed ball runner scores from third and there is no play on runner, umpire gives us a safe signal......

In 2nd inning kid swings at strike three and umpires "rings him up", wouldn't just a simple closed fist suffice with no theatrics ?????

Am I nit picking ???? Those things make me cringe !!!!!

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 10:48pm.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Why is doing HS/Fed ball some sort of benchmark? I'm watching more HS ball, as my son is now a Varsity coach, and at least around here, the quality is hit and miss.

Most guys that I know that get a shot at LL TV games, at least out here in the West, are also doing Adult wood bat, older travel, college summer league, etc. Weekend stuff, but not HS as they have real, 9-5 jobs that preclude them from working those 3pm games.
I am a firm believer that what is taught at the hs level will make umpires better than the wood bat / older travel / weekend stuff umpire. Most of the hs guys are doing other sports and they learn how to "run a game" ( manage ).

Coaches at the youth and those other levels are usually parents and they just scream, for example they don't walk on to the field and discuss calls, they simply yell "get help" ( sure sign of wreck ball ). And let's face it, those umpires at that level are mostly in it it for the money and don't like to make the "tough" call
as they want to come back and work every weekend ...... in other words they umpire because they want everyone to be their friend.....

As an assigner for hs ball and "summer ball", I have been able to keep my "summer ball" contracts for 15 years because I only use hs guys !!!!! While the coaches at 13 get a little upset because the zones are a bit smaller and we don't "get help" on every play, by the time these teams are playing 14 U the coaches get it as they see the same zone called in hs......

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 10:47pm.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

I don't blame him.
Is there a reason why you wanted to "bad mouth" your "brothers" to the coach? All I can do is shake my head.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
Is there a reason why you wanted to "bad mouth" your "brothers" to the coach? All I can do is shake my head.
I agree, why would you ask a coach that kind of question?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Couldn't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Started watching Panama and Puerto Rico yesterday and guy behind dish made me sick........

Passed ball runner scores from third and there is no play on runner, umpire gives us a safe signal......

In 2nd inning kid swings at strike three and umpires "rings him up", wouldn't just a simple closed fist suffice with no theartrics ?????

Am I knit picking ???? Those things make me cringe !!!!!
That would be "nit" picking
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
That would be "nit" picking
Rightfully deserved !!!!

You got me.......
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I worked the LL Softball World Series, I did my inning on the RFL for the championship game, I did not during the game or any time since feel like I worked in the championship game even though I made 2 out calls on two trouble balls.

If anyone asks, I was the 3rd base umpire in the semi-final game, that was the last game I worked in the world series.

In the junior baseball regional last year I worked the LFU in the first championship game, stayed there for all 7 innings, that is the only way I would have wanted it and I count it that way. I was U3 on the if game, it's just an assignment.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Puerto Rico vs. Australia....PU...OMG.

Wow, just wow! The crazy man strike call and the Eric Gregg zone. This game is going to be funnnnnn....he's very quick too.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.