View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 15, 2013, 02:55am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's no reason a U2 needs to come inside. It's easy to get a 90-degree angle to the throw on the outside and make a call at second. It's how I umpire when I work U2 in any game, including LL games.

And yet you still see 3 umpires pivoting inside unnecessarily on balls hit to the outfield, when the ideal number doing so would be ZERO.
I've seen worse in a Texas playoff series. It was a third round series which is halfway to the state final.

The four man crew came out dressed in red shirts. The very first batter hit a fly ball to centerfield, and HPU came busting out to the pitcher's mound to make the catch signal.............It was downhill after that. Missed rotations, missed balks, etc.

I was sitting next to the scout/coach for the team the winner would face. I said, "Do you want that same crew for you series?" He shook his head, and said, "No. That is one of the first things I'm going to tell my head coach about. Close plays can go either way, but we at least want somebody that knows where to be on a close play."

I don't blame him.