The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Myers FL
Posts: 600
Little League World Series Umps

Been watching some of the early round games shown on TV. I find it interesting to see the different mechanics used by plate umpires and sometimes even the field umps. I realize they are volunteers. I wonder how they are selected and if differing styles might cause some confusion. Not criticizing, just looking for input. Thanks.
__________________
Keep everything in front of you
and have fun out there !!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Been watching some of the early round games shown on TV. I find it interesting to see the different mechanics used by plate umpires and sometimes even the field umps. I realize they are volunteers. I wonder how they are selected and if differing styles might cause some confusion. Not criticizing, just looking for input. Thanks.
Not going to name names. But one umpire I know to have travelled to umpire a game one round before those you're watching now is the same guy that called a TIE in one of my games not that long ago.

I kind of think that says everything. Until LL gets serious about their umpires like every other organization has, they will get what they get.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
I was watching a game on Wednesday. I don't recall the teams but the b/r turned to go to second base (after a wild throw to first) and the first base ump was in the way. A collision occured, B/R scrambled up to his feet and was thrown out at second. Time was called and the umps gave him second because of interference/obstruction of umpire. No questions asked by defense. To my knowledge, there is no way an umpire can be called for obstruction in this situation, just play on. Umpire is part of the field when it comes to players running into them.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooloo View Post
I was watching a game on Wednesday. I don't recall the teams but the b/r turned to go to second base (after a wild throw to first) and the first base ump was in the way. A collision occured, B/R scrambled up to his feet and was thrown out at second. Time was called and the umps gave him second because of interference/obstruction of umpire. No questions asked by defense. To my knowledge, there is no way an umpire can be called for obstruction in this situation, just play on. Umpire is part of the field when it comes to players running into them.
I agree but 3 NCAA umps awarded the same thing in a Texas A&M game a year ago.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I agree but 3 NCAA umps awarded the same thing in a Texas A&M game a year ago.
Link? I don't recall this happening.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Link? I don't recall this happening.
March, 2012: What is Umpire Obstruction? | The Way I See It – UmpHub Blog

Interesting to see Paronto quoted in the comments as saying "wrong by rule but good for the game" . I don't know if he actually said that.

Edited to add: Upon reviewing the link they awarded 2B but then changed it to 1B. Not exactly what the LL guys did.

Last edited by umpjim; Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 05:24pm. Reason: add comment.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Until LL gets serious about their umpires like every other organization has, .

As far as I know LL is the only youth org that has umpire schools regularly at their regional centers.

We don't get to see the Babe Ruth/Ripken, Dixie, whatever on TV so we really don't know how their umpires would appear.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 323
Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
At the regional level, umps are recommended by their local districts, hence all the Smittys out there. Regional games are like gold watches for these codgers. Yes, I can say that a "senior."

I did LL for 30+ years,along with HS, Legion and summer, college-level+ ball. LL "clinics" are all about the rules, with small nods to mechanics, etc.

I cringe when I watch these games.

Ace
__________________
There is no such thing as idiot-proof, only idiot-resistant.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 09:07am
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
I cringe when I watch these games.

Ace
I can't watch them - too many WTFs.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 09:10am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
They're not all bad umpires. That guy working the Great Lakes Regional Final last year was a little squirrely but what are you gonna do?
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
They're not all bad umpires. That guy working the Great Lakes Regional Final last year was a little squirrely but what are you gonna do?
Sounds like most of the contributers here on any given day. And yes, I am including myself.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 10:23am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
They're not all bad umpires. That guy working the Great Lakes Regional Final last year was a little squirrely but what are you gonna do?
Bite me.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
LL "clinics" are all about the rules, with small nods to mechanics, etc.


Ace
Not in Western Region.

Rita
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 3 hrs east of the western time zone
Posts: 872
Out of Shape

I was amazed by how many guys I have seen so far are out of shape......

are they hitting the concession stand between each game ????
__________________
Go ugly early, avoid the rush !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 12:39pm
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I was amazed by how many guys I have seen so far are out of shape......

are they hitting the concession stand between each game ????
LL certainly doesn't monopolize the market on this particular subject, that's for sure. I've seen umpires who could use a few months at the local gym at the highest levels of championship play in a number of national-level organizations.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World Series fun for umps - article mick Baseball 5 Sun Oct 28, 2007 08:39pm
Little League World Series umpandy Baseball 16 Wed Oct 19, 2005 09:27pm
Little League World Series VaASAump Softball 41 Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:56pm
Little League Softball World Series BigUmpJohn Softball 0 Thu Aug 07, 2003 04:44pm
Little League World Series JC Baseball 2 Mon Aug 28, 2000 08:32am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1