The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Little League World Series Umps (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95780-little-league-world-series-umps.html)

SWFLguy Thu Aug 08, 2013 01:27pm

Little League World Series Umps

Been watching some of the early round games shown on TV. I find it interesting to see the different mechanics used by plate umpires and sometimes even the field umps. I realize they are volunteers. I wonder how they are selected and if differing styles might cause some confusion. Not criticizing, just looking for input. Thanks.

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 08, 2013 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 902089)
Been watching some of the early round games shown on TV. I find it interesting to see the different mechanics used by plate umpires and sometimes even the field umps. I realize they are volunteers. I wonder how they are selected and if differing styles might cause some confusion. Not criticizing, just looking for input. Thanks.

Not going to name names. But one umpire I know to have travelled to umpire a game one round before those you're watching now is the same guy that called a TIE in one of my games not that long ago.

I kind of think that says everything. Until LL gets serious about their umpires like every other organization has, they will get what they get.

stooloo Thu Aug 08, 2013 02:06pm

I was watching a game on Wednesday. I don't recall the teams but the b/r turned to go to second base (after a wild throw to first) and the first base ump was in the way. A collision occured, B/R scrambled up to his feet and was thrown out at second. Time was called and the umps gave him second because of interference/obstruction of umpire. No questions asked by defense. To my knowledge, there is no way an umpire can be called for obstruction in this situation, just play on. Umpire is part of the field when it comes to players running into them.

umpjim Thu Aug 08, 2013 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stooloo (Post 902093)
I was watching a game on Wednesday. I don't recall the teams but the b/r turned to go to second base (after a wild throw to first) and the first base ump was in the way. A collision occured, B/R scrambled up to his feet and was thrown out at second. Time was called and the umps gave him second because of interference/obstruction of umpire. No questions asked by defense. To my knowledge, there is no way an umpire can be called for obstruction in this situation, just play on. Umpire is part of the field when it comes to players running into them.

I agree but 3 NCAA umps awarded the same thing in a Texas A&M game a year ago.

MD Longhorn Thu Aug 08, 2013 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 902094)
I agree but 3 NCAA umps awarded the same thing in a Texas A&M game a year ago.

Link? I don't recall this happening.

umpjim Thu Aug 08, 2013 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 902099)
Link? I don't recall this happening.

March, 2012: What is Umpire Obstruction? | The Way I See It – UmpHub Blog

Interesting to see Paronto quoted in the comments as saying "wrong by rule but good for the game" . I don't know if he actually said that.

Edited to add: Upon reviewing the link they awarded 2B but then changed it to 1B. Not exactly what the LL guys did.

Rich Ives Thu Aug 08, 2013 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 902092)
Until LL gets serious about their umpires like every other organization has, .

As far as I know LL is the only youth org that has umpire schools regularly at their regional centers.

We don't get to see the Babe Ruth/Ripken, Dixie, whatever on TV so we really don't know how their umpires would appear.

aceholleran Fri Aug 09, 2013 08:15am

At the regional level, umps are recommended by their local districts, hence all the Smittys out there. Regional games are like gold watches for these codgers. Yes, I can say that a "senior."

I did LL for 30+ years,along with HS, Legion and summer, college-level+ ball. LL "clinics" are all about the rules, with small nods to mechanics, etc.

I cringe when I watch these games.

Ace

tjones1 Fri Aug 09, 2013 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceholleran (Post 902164)
I cringe when I watch these games.

Ace

I can't watch them - too many WTFs.

Welpe Fri Aug 09, 2013 09:10am

They're not all bad umpires. That guy working the Great Lakes Regional Final last year was a little squirrely but what are you gonna do? :D

jicecone Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 902172)
They're not all bad umpires. That guy working the Great Lakes Regional Final last year was a little squirrely but what are you gonna do? :D

Sounds like most of the contributers here on any given day. And yes, I am including myself.

Rich Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 902172)

Bite me.

Rita C Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceholleran (Post 902164)
LL "clinics" are all about the rules, with small nods to mechanics, etc.

Ace

Not in Western Region.

Rita

Multiple Sports Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:31am

Out of Shape

I was amazed by how many guys I have seen so far are out of shape......

are they hitting the concession stand between each game ????

Manny A Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 902186)
I was amazed by how many guys I have seen so far are out of shape......

are they hitting the concession stand between each game ????

LL certainly doesn't monopolize the market on this particular subject, that's for sure. I've seen umpires who could use a few months at the local gym at the highest levels of championship play in a number of national-level organizations.