The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 05, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
Agreed, but it is not an uncommon occurance...not the same thing. Every season I have a HS varsity B trying to disrupt F1's rhythm by asking for time/stepping out at inappropriate times. This is the kind of action that I believe Fed was trying to legislate against.
It must be a regional thing. I can't remember the last time I saw that in an NFHS game. So, in my experience, it is uncommon. If you don't grant time willy-nilly the problem typically resolves itself.
Old Fri Jul 05, 2013, 02:32pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
If the pitcher hesitates, its easy: do over.
And it's pretty easy to say "he hesitated"...

JJ
Old Fri Jul 05, 2013, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It must be a regional thing. I can't remember the last time I saw that in an NFHS game. So, in my experience, it is uncommon. If you don't grant time willy-nilly the problem typically resolves itself.
Perhaps its a regional thing. We have very competitive baseball here. It doesn't happen every game here, but it does happen from time to time. It must happen in other places, else Fed wouldn't have had the need to address it.

I don't grant time willy-nilly. My usual response to "Time" in this type of sitch is "NO". But not granting time does not make B's action retro-actively disappear. B has already done the inappropriate action.
Quote:
I think the shitty end is call a pitch that is a ball a strike. If the pitcher hesitates, its easy: do over.
That's how OBR handles it. Reset...Start again. I wouldn't have a problem doing it that way. But Fed wants to penalize B for initiating an absolved pitching infraction (F1 stopping or hesitating).

Last edited by bluehair; Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 03:08pm.
Old Fri Jul 05, 2013, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps its a regional thing. We have very competitive baseball here. It doesn't happen every game here, but it does happen from time to time. It must happen in other places, else Fed wouldn't have had the need to address it.
As do we. Not sure why that matters.

Quote:
I don't grant time willy-nilly. My usual response to "Time" in this type of sitch is "NO". But not granting time does not make B's action retro-actively disappear. B has already done the inappropriate action.
Didn't intend to suggest you did, I'm sorry for my use of the second person. I should have used the third person.

Quote:
That's how OBR handles it. Reset...Start again. I wouldn't have a problem doing it that way. But Fed wants to penalize B for initiating an absolved pitching infraction (F1 stopping or hesitating).
Not it does not. 6-2-4 says "In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew." same as OBR.
Old Fri Jul 05, 2013, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not it does not. 6-2-4 says "In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew." same as OBR.
Yes, if F1 stops or hesitates there is no penalty in 6-2-4d-1 (a) and (c) but then in CB 6.2.4I, there are penalties of one or two strikes called for B stepping out of BB. One is for violating 7-3-1 (both feet out...I get that one), but where do you get the other penalty strike when there is no stop or hesitation in 6.2.4I (a) and (c)? Too many contradictions in this rule/sitch.