The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batter Leaves the batter's box & HBP (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/95421-batter-leaves-batters-box-hbp.html)

jdmara Mon Jul 01, 2013 01:20pm

Batter Leaves the batter's box & HBP

I had a gentleman ask me the correct ruling on a situation that happened in one of his lower level high school games last week.

2-2, R2, and 1 out. Pitcher starts his delivery and the batter, without being granted time, steps out of the box with ONE FOOT. The pitcher legally delivers and the pitch strikes the batter. Ruling?

Honestly, I'm stretching here a little bit but I believe using the following citations I have a dead-ball (because the pitch touched the batter) and a strikeout.

6-2-4d-1: The umpire shall call the pitch a strike

8-1-1d: a pitched ball hits his person or clothing, provided he does not strike at the ball; or:... if the umpire calls the pitched ball a strike, the hitting of the batter is disregarded except that the ball is dead.

What do you all think?

-Josh

tcarilli Mon Jul 01, 2013 01:43pm

6-2-4d-1 does not apply. The pitcher did not hesitate, he threw the pitch.

The batter has not violated 7-3-1.

HBP send the batter to first base.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 01, 2013 01:45pm

6-2-4d-1 says both feet.

umpjim Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 899073)
6-2-4d-1 does not apply. The pitcher did not hesitate, he threw the pitch.

The batter has not violated 7-3-1.

HBP send the batter to first base.

6-2-4d-1 goes on to rule on what happens if a pitch is delivered:

1. If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box (a) with one foot or (b) with both feet or (c) holds up his hand to request "Time," it shall not be a balk. In (a) and (c), there is no penalty on either the batter or the pitcher. The umpire shall call "Time" and begin play anew. In (b), a strike shall be called on the batter for violation of 7-3-1. In (a), (b) and (c), if the pitcher *legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. Thus, two strikes are called on the batter in (b). If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create a balk, he will penalize according to 3-3-1o.

So do we have a dead ball strike?

nopachunts Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:17pm

I have a dead ball strike. Batter stepped out of the box without being granted time. Exactly what I am saying to the OHC if he asks or complains.

tcarilli Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 899080)
I have a dead ball strike. Batter stepped out of the box without being granted time. Exactly what I am saying to the OHC if he asks or complains.

The batter has not violated the batter's box rule, so there is no penalty.

tcarilli Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:31pm

NFHS Rule 7-3-1 Penalty

Quote:

PENALTY: ...If the batter leaves the batter's box, delays the game, and none of the above exceptions apply, the plate umpire shall charge a strike to the batter. The pitcher need not pitch, and the ball remains live.
He has neither left the box nor delayed the game.

NFHS Case Book

7-3-1 Situation D

Quote:

B1 steps out of the batter's box (a) without requesting time... RULING: In (a), the umpire shall call a strike if he feels B1 delayed the game.

7-3-1 Situation F

Quote:

B1 has a count of three balls and one strike. In (a), F1 throws a pitch which B1 thinks is ball four and he starts running to first base prior to the umpire calling the pitch a strike or (b) B1 incorrectly thought the count was two balls and two strikes and heads to the dugout after the umpire called the pitch a strike.
RULING: In both (a) and (b), as long as the umpire judges that B1 did not delay the game, he would be allowed to continue to bat with a count of three balls and two strikes. If the umpire felt that the game was delayed, he shall charge a strike to B1. Because of the additional strike which now has been called, the batter is declared out in both (a) and (b).

The batter, in the judgment of the umpire, must delay the game. He has not in original post. He has been hit by the pitch. He goes to first base.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 899080)

I guess that fulfills your moniker! :) You need more patience here.

A) Batter did not step out of the box...
B) Batter did not delay the game (the pitcher pitched anyway).

You do not (or should not) have a dead ball strike in this situation.

bob jenkins Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:44pm

I sure hope someone from the FED is reading this and will finally get around to changing 6-2-4.

They changed 7-3-1 maybe 10 years ago now to add "and delays the game" but didn't make the corresponding change in 6-2-4. They did come out with some "memo" (I forget the exact format) that indicated it would be changed, but here we sit...

umpjim Mon Jul 01, 2013 02:51pm

2011 BRD had this as a strike no matter where the pitch was delivered. I think FED might have removed some confusing caseplays in the interim.

nopachunts Mon Jul 01, 2013 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 899086)
I guess that fulfills your moniker! :) You need more patience here.

A) Batter did not step out of the box...
B) Batter did not delay the game (the pitcher pitched anyway).

You do not (or should not) have a dead ball strike in this situation.

I may be impatient but I still have a dead ball strike. The batter did step out with one foot and by rule if the pitcher completes the pitch legally, the pitch is called a strike. If a batter is touched by a pitch, the ball is dead, hence the dead ball strike. That's what I like about you and Rita C, you are teaching me through disagreement.

Robert E. Harrison Mon Jul 01, 2013 03:44pm

Was the batter allowed/permitted to leave the box?

My question is was the batter allowed or entitled to leave the box after the previous pitch?

nopachunts Mon Jul 01, 2013 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 899098)
My question is was the batter allowed or entitled to leave the box after the previous pitch?

From OBR Rules:
(1) The batter shall keep at least one foot in the batter’s box throughout the
batter’s time at bat, unless one of the following exceptions applies, in which
case the batter may leave the batter’s box but not the dirt area surrounding
home plate:
(i) The batter swings at a pitch;
(ii) The batter is forced out of the batter’s box by a pitch;
(iii) A member of either team requests and is granted “Time”;
(iv) A defensive player attempts a play on a runner at any base;
(v) The batter feints a bunt;
(vi) A wild pitch or passed ball occurs;
(vii) The pitcher leaves the dirt area of the pitching mound after receiving
the ball; or
(viii)The catcher leaves the catcher’s box to give defensive signals.

tcarilli Mon Jul 01, 2013 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 899098)

The batter did not leave the box. By rule, the batter must exit the box with both feet to have left the box.

MD Longhorn Mon Jul 01, 2013 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopachunts (Post 899097)
The batter did step out with one foot

Exactly. With one foot.
Quote:

by rule if the pitcher completes the pitch legally, the pitch is called a strike.
Read the rule again. Specifically, look for the words, "with both feet".