The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
If you are giving one ball on the outside, you should give one ball on the inside, no? Nobody is saying calling a strike when the ball doesn't touch the black, but if a pitcher can hit that inside pitch, I'm going to give it to him. Batters will adjust.
I usually work one in and two out. I may see some aggravation from a batter when I ring him/her up, but the only thing I hear from the coach is: "Come on, you gotta hit those" or something similiar.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

I went to a local clinic which had a D1 - D2 umpire in chief instructing. He said that their umpires are instructed to go 4-6 inches outside, but take that away from the inside. I'll go a ball or slightly more outside, but a inside pitch has to hit the corner. I'd have probably told the catcher after the first time he turned around that he'd have all the time he wants to check out the hot chicks in the stands from the dugout if he did it again.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Quote:
" . . . but a inside pitch has to hit the corner."
And you would be wrong.

Your nose in right in front on the pitch. Have the balls to call the pitch as identified in the OP.

T
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
And you would be wrong.

Your nose in right in front on the pitch. Have the balls to call the pitch as identified in the OP.

T
It has nothing to do with having the balls to call it. It has to do with having a zone you're comfortable with and consistent in calling. I get very little complaining about balls and strikes and don't see the need to give the pitcher everything and the batter nothing. The pitch on the fists is not a hittable pitch in my opinion. It's not reasonable to expect a hitter to go outside the zone and hit a pitch there and also have to go inside to hit pitches out of the zone there as well. I'm not going to say you're wrong if you call both edges outside of the plate, but you have to do what you are comfortable with. If you don't, you'll lose consistency in my opinion.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

ôiô

Welcome to 2:45 minute games.

Call the strike zone as defined by quality umpires.

YOU have decided a pitch in not hittable . . . how quaint. Of course you are in the capital of great baseball.

T
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Welcome to 2:45 minute games.

Call the strike zone as defined by quality umpires.

YOU have decided a pitch in not hittable . . . how quaint. Of course you are in the capital of great baseball.

T
I appreciate the smart-ass response. I'll take it for what it's worth ... nothing.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
So, if you are lined up with your nose in the slot, ideally in the area between the batters box line and the plate, and a pitch comes right at your nose, you would call that a ball?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
So, if you are lined up with your nose in the slot, ideally in the area between the batters box line and the plate, and a pitch comes right at your nose, you would call that a ball?
We've got 6 inches we're working with between the inside corner of the plate and the inside lines of the batters box (assuming they're there). I'm not so tight that I won't give an inch or slightly more there. I won't give any more than that, especially if I'm being somewhat generous on the outside edge. Most coaches want their pitchers hitting that low outside corner, and that typically is the "pitchers pitch" that they want. Pitches that miss on the inside are (more often than not) pitches that are not hitting the desired spot and I don't think should be rewarded as strikes if they're off the plate. To do so gives the pitcher too generous of a zone (in my opinion).

Let's face it, the strike zone as we call it at most levels of ball is much more liberal than the book tells us it should be. Each umpire needs to do what they're comfortable with at the level of play they're dealing with, and what works for them. I get few complaints about my zone, and I've been calling it the same way for the 20+ years that I've umpired. I'm in no way saying I'm right and your wrong, but also don't believe that you're right and I'm wrong either.

Like I said earlier, at the last college clinic I attended, we were instructed to be generous on the outside edge, but take that much away from the inside edge. I don't think we can do that at the high school or lower levels of play, but also don't think you need to be overly generous inside. Sorry for the long winded answer, but hope you see where I'm coming from (even if we disagree)
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

If a pitcher is nailing his catcher's left knee for three strikes in a row to a lefty, why is that suddenly a ball when the righty steps in?
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
Most coaches want their pitchers hitting that low outside corner, and that typically is the "pitchers pitch" that they want. Pitches that miss on the inside are (more often than not) pitches that are not hitting the desired spot and I don't think should be rewarded as strikes if they're off the plate. To do so gives the pitcher too generous of a zone (in my opinion).
It seems like you're trying to call the game that you think the coaches are playing. Half of them don't even know what game they're playing so I wouldn't try to guess what they want.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

For almost 20 yrs I have been going with one ball in/out on the corners at ALL levels worked and either I am the luckiest guy in the region or I am doing something right because it is rare that I get a 21/4 hr+ game (unless its extra innings). The key is consistency and good position to see pitches properly! Pitchers and batters will adjust by the end of their first inning of play.

I don't follow the prescribed 2 on the outside, 1 on the inside "clinic" nonsense or should I say that I have never been taught that at any clinic I ever attended. IMO if you are consistent calling one ball in/out and have solid mechanics that allow clear vision of the entire zone you will find that your games will run much smoother and, as a by-product, more timely.

If F2 needs to be handled, the best way to do that is to have a consistent zone communicated crisply and with good timing....above all else - be professional at all times as respect is easy to give but very hard to earn.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

If you call the outside pitch, but not the inside pitch, you'll get the batters to crowd the plate. We get 100s of posts a year about "how do I see when the batter crowds the plate" so it must be a problem. And then, when a pitch is inside by a bit, you either get a hit batter, or a strike that the batter is trying to avoid -- and that looks bad.

So, keep the width the same but shift everything to the left (for a RH batter) a bit. If you give two balls off on the outside, and nothing on the inside, then try giving one each way.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

The bottom line is that each umpire needs to call a zone that they're comfortable with and be consistent with. The players will adjust. Hopefully we're all calling the strikes that actually do go over the plate !!!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It's discussions like this that make me like the way The American Legion Umpires Manual defines the width of the strike zone. They show one ball laying on the ground on the outside of the plate and one ball laying on the ground on the inside of the plate. That expands the width of the plate by 6". Hard to miss a strike on the inside of the plate between the dish and the line of the batters box.......

Tim.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
I should clarify that up until him stating the pitch was good and I needed to give it to them, I do not feel as if he was questioning the zone, but asking to find out where the pitch missed.
You may feel that way. But if he turned around to talk to you (and he's not 10 years old), he is most definitely questioning your zone.

Good catcher-umpire communication will include some questions from the catcher. If you can't answer that question in 3-4 words, you're talking too much. 99% of the time, one word suffices. You also need to shorten your warning. "OK, that's enough" will be enough for most catchers. Don't put such a point on the threat. And honestly, your partner's "warning" was too long as well.

Quote:
I am not much into giving inside off the plate. Outside I will give a little as the ball is hittable.
You know it's crucial to be consistent in your own calls... but it's also important to be consistent with everyone else's. That pitch just off the inside corner, not over chalk, is a strike in most of your other umpire's minds - pitchers are used to it... catchers are used to it ... and before you start saying it's not fair to batters to call that pitch a strike ... batters are used to it too. Call it. Your game will go easier.

West Houston Mike