The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Handling Coaches After T

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about the Huggins ejection, but the discussion got me thinking about a situation that came up this year.

This is VG and I'm working with two experienced partners. The crew chief called a T on the H coach and then stayed tableside just like for a common foul while my other partner and I are getting the shooter set and the lane cleared. I was slot and saw the coach and assistants continuing to discuss the T with my partner so I moved over there and switched places with him. With him out of earshot they didn't continue whatever conversation they were having.

At no point was I thinking about having to save my partner - he's experienced and knows more about game management than I do. I was thinking more along the lines of defusing the situation. How would you all have handled?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds like it worked well, did your partner question you after the game?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

This is something I always want to pre-game. Most of the time, our crew agrees if you stick a coach, someone else should go tableside to attempt to diffuse the situation if necessary & to seatbelt him/her. I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary to get away from a coach after a T, but most of the time it's not going to hurt the situation by getting away.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
This is something I always want to pre-game. Most of the time, our crew agrees if you stick a coach, someone else should go tableside to attempt to diffuse the situation if necessary & to seatbelt him/her. I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary to get away from a coach after a T, but most of the time it's not going to hurt the situation by getting away.
If only I could have worded this the same way in the other thread....sigh.
Official Forum Member

This is definitely part of a pregame. In general, I like to stay tableside if the T is on a player or an assistant coach, and the head coach seems to be in a frame of mind that will allow for communciation, I'll stay at the table. If the T is on the head coach or if the head coach seems to be fired up about a call, rotate away and have another official manage them.
Get away from me, Steve.

After a coach technical, that official handles the throw-in opposite the table in games where I'm working. We pregame that.

That said, I don't run out of there, either. I treat it like just another foul -- I'm not going to whack the coach and run away from him either as if I'm in fear of having to give him another one.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
After a coach technical, that official handles the throw-in opposite the table in games where I'm working. We pregame that.

That said, I don't run out of there, either. I treat it like just another foul -- I'm not going to whack the coach and run away from him either as if I'm in fear of having to give him another one.
The voice of reason. 2 big thumbs up
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds like it worked well, did your partner question you after the game?
Nope, and his comment afterward was something along the lines of "Yeah, I probably should have gotten out of there sooner". On the court he seemed grateful for the switch and didn't question it at all.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Nope, and his comment afterward was something along the lines of "Yeah, I probably should have gotten out of there sooner". On the court he seemed grateful for the switch and didn't question it at all.
Sounds like you did well. IAABO has us going opposite in 3 now, so the calling official will administer the throwin. On normal fouls, we've actually switched when the coach wanted to ask a question of the calling official; but I can't see doing that with a T on the HC.

Before, when we were like everyone else, I'd have done it like you did. However, I'd prefer the calling official to initiate that switch, as he knows whether he's taken enough or not.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

It's definitely something that, IMO, should be pre-gamed, and is where I work. If it's not, and you get a situation like the OP where the partner had to come over and actually switch w/ the calling official after more words were exchanged, I can see this happening.

U1: Hey, Joe, go ahead over to C.
R: Thanks, Mike.
HC: Well, geez! What? Big shot walking away can't handle any heat so you come over here? He's too much of a sissy to take some more words?

My point is, if it's not pre-gamed (or, better yet, an approved mechanic in your area like it is in mine), switching like this maybe can be seen as nothing else than "saving" your partner, and it may escalate the situation more.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refesq11 View Post
It's definitely something that, IMO, should be pre-gamed, and is where I work. If it's not, and you get a situation like the OP where the partner had to come over and actually switch w/ the calling official after more words were exchanged, I can see this happening.

U1: Hey, Joe, go ahead over to C.
R: Thanks, Mike.
HC: Well, geez! What? Big shot walking away can't handle any heat so you come over here? He's too much of a sissy to take some more words?

My point is, if it's not pre-gamed (or, better yet, an approved mechanic in your area like it is in mine), switching like this maybe can be seen as nothing else than "saving" your partner, and it may escalate the situation more.
If he stops here, I might politely inform him we're simply trying to protect him (the coach). If he continues to the last part, he'll be done for the night.

You're right, ideally, this switch is initiated prior to the coach getting a chance to vent.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:36pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
...someone else should go tableside to attempt to diffuse the situation if necessary...
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
...rotate away and have another official manage them.

This is what I pregame - something I got from a D1 official: If one of us gives a coach a T, the other two officials will not engage that coach until the calling official does. I also ammend it for high school to say the only thing I will say to a coach (from a distance), "Coach, you must remain seated for the rest of the game" and then I show him or her my back side because that is all I have to say. Another friend of mine who is in the D-League says we shouldn't even say anything to them about remaining seated. In his opinion, they should know the rule.

Point is, if a coach's behavior has earned him or her a T, 1) there shoudn't be any "managing" necessary and 2) an official shouldn't go over there and give the coach a shoulder to cry on. No, you (the coach) did what you did, my partner thought it was worthy of a T and since my partner is part of my team I'm not going to do anything that could possibly perceived as undermining him or her (my partner). This is along the lines of explaining one of my partners' calls. I'm just not going to do it.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

This is something that gets reveiwed every pregame I think I have had. Regardless of who gets a "T" at least one other official should huddle up with the ref who whislted the "T". This gives a chance for the one official to "cool down" if needed and for the other one to get the information as to why there was a T etc. Especially with coaches, this then lets the coach either continue to show their tail or calm down. If the coach continues to act up , then there is another official who can send them packing.
This doesn't always work, as the offenses in the first and secon T come fairly fast. For instance, as you report your T the player comes by and curses etc. but as a rule of thumb () this seems to have worked well for my games
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
and then I show him or her my back side because that is all I have to say.
I did this to a female coach and she said, "Whoa - you have a cute butt."

OK, not really.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

This is what I pregame - something I got from a D1 official: If one of us gives a coach a T, the other two officials will not engage that coach until the calling official does. I also ammend it for high school to say the only thing I will say to a coach (from a distance), "Coach, you must remain seated for the rest of the game" and then I show him or her my back side because that is all I have to say. Another friend of mine who is in the D-League says we shouldn't even say anything to them about remaining seated. In his opinion, they should know the rule.

Point is, if a coach's behavior has earned him or her a T, 1) there shoudn't be any "managing" necessary and 2) an official shouldn't go over there and give the coach a shoulder to cry on. No, you (the coach) did what you did, my partner thought it was worthy of a T and since my partner is part of my team I'm not going to do anything that could possibly perceived as undermining him or her (my partner). This is along the lines of explaining one of my partners' calls. I'm just not going to do it.
I'm perfectly okay with that approach because, as you and others have said, the main point is to pre-game this scenario so your partners know what you want each other to do. The last thing you want during the administration of a T is for the crew to look confused.
This also may be a check your local listings situation, as the way I stated earlier is the one our local leadership has recommended, so I'm going to abide by their wishes.