The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Handling the Catcher

Had a 19U game today. Teams were both fairly good and the games were competitive. F2 was a good player but had a bit of a mouth on him. Majority of his comments were being directed at his own team, but as the game continued and things started getting close comments started to be geared towards me.

Throughout the game, on a couple of close pitches, he would turn and ask where the pitch missed. I commented and he said alright and the game continued. After one of these interactions, he said back to me that it was a good pitch and I had to call it a strike. My response was that the pitch was inside, being between the plate and white line of the batters box, and was not a strike. He shoots back at me "you mean you are not giving two balls off the plate" to which I reply no. Coach comes out to talk to F1 and F2 follows. I can hear him tell the coach that I am not giving them anything and that he is going to have to throw the ball right down the middle of the plate. I ignore, and the game continues. A few batters later, pitch comes in high to which I call ball on. F2 turns again and asks where the pitch missed, to which I state high, and he then requests time to talk to his pitcher. As he is walking out to the pitcher, he says to him "come on Jimmy, you are going to have to throw it right down the middle of the plate, he is giving us nothing." After F2 returns and is behind home plate, I quietly take my mask off and clean home plate. In the process, I look at F2 and tell him "If I hear one more smart ass comment about the strike zone, you will be spending the rest of the game in the dugout, do you understand me?" F2 looks at me and says yes sir and the game continues without incident.

I usually do not like to give out ultimatums, but in this incident I figured it would get my point across to F2. I also usually never curse on the field, but again with the player being 19 I felt that this would make a statement. After I made these comments, F2 never said another negative word towards me and the game continued without incident.

So how does everyone think I handled this situation, and what are some of your ways of handling a catcher that begins to question balls and strikes?

Thanks
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
Had a 19U game today. Teams were both fairly good and the games were competitive. F2 was a good player but had a bit of a mouth on him. Majority of his comments were being directed at his own team, but as the game continued and things started getting close comments started to be geared towards me.

Throughout the game, on a couple of close pitches, he would turn and ask where the pitch missed. I commented and he said alright and the game continued. After one of these interactions, he said back to me that it was a good pitch and I had to call it a strike. My response was that the pitch was inside, being between the plate and white line of the batters box, and was not a strike. He shoots back at me "you mean you are not giving two balls off the plate" to which I reply no. Coach comes out to talk to F1 and F2 follows. I can hear him tell the coach that I am not giving them anything and that he is going to have to throw the ball right down the middle of the plate. I ignore, and the game continues. A few batters later, pitch comes in high to which I call ball on. F2 turns again and asks where the pitch missed, to which I state high, and he then requests time to talk to his pitcher. As he is walking out to the pitcher, he says to him "come on Jimmy, you are going to have to throw it right down the middle of the plate, he is giving us nothing." After F2 returns and is behind home plate, I quietly take my mask off and clean home plate. In the process, I look at F2 and tell him "If I hear one more smart ass comment about the strike zone, you will be spending the rest of the game in the dugout, do you understand me?" F2 looks at me and says yes sir and the game continues without incident.

I usually do not like to give out ultimatums, but in this incident I figured it would get my point across to F2. I also usually never curse on the field, but again with the player being 19 I felt that this would make a statement. After I made these comments, F2 never said another negative word towards me and the game continued without incident.

So how does everyone think I handled this situation, and what are some of your ways of handling a catcher that begins to question balls and strikes?

Thanks
I would certainly warn the catcher but you could have left out the part about spending the rest of the game in the dugout. First of all, if you eject him, he can't stay in the dugout. All you need to say is that you have heard enough.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

You handled it poorly. Do not give ultimatums, period. I'm not sure what point you wanted to get across anyway - let him tell his pitcher to just throw meatballs down the middle if it makes him happy.

1. The first time a catcher turns around to ask you where a pitch was, tell him where it was, then when he turns back around, kindly ask him to simply work with you by talking while facing forward. You want to work together, not against each other. He can just ask "where'd you have that" while facing forward like everyone else does.

2. If he isn't receptive to the info you're giving him and he wants to interpret it as requiring the ball to be down the middle, that's fine. Not every catcher knows how to work with an umpire, and if they don't want to, you can't make them.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that you handled it poorly. Never allow F2 to turn around to talk to you when he is in his crouch. This leads people to think that he is questioning your call. Instruct him to face forward when he speaks ot you in the crouch.

Secondly, nip this wanna-be umpire in the bud early. Explain to him that his job is to call the game, catch the pitch and lead the team. You will handle the umpiring. Do not give ultimatums and do not allow him to violate this pact a 2nd time.

19 years old? This sounds like a middle school F2!
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My response was that the pitch was inside, being between the plate and white line of the batters box, and was not a strike.
Did you really say all of this?

(1) That's a strike. Call it a strike all day and see how much better your game will be. Trust me on that one.

(2) If you want to say something on a pitch that *isn't* a strike, say "That's inside." Anything more is too much talking.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

Tank thanks for giving us a great example to teach,

First, the pitch should be a strike. We teach that over-and-over to our umpire classes.

Second, I have never talked that much to a catcher ever in a game (Unless he has a great looking divorced mom) . . .

and finally either eject or keep your mouth shut.'

That's advice . . . not a criticism.

T
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

You did let it go too long, after he commented about the inside pitch I would have put a stop to the conversation.

I don't get nasty and will answer a reasonable inquiry but, I do not play that "where was that pitch Blue" game. Especially with catchers that can see the pitch better than you. Good pitchers locate your strike zone right off the bat and expect you to be consistent with it. I have had many say "Blue, I always know where my out pitch is with you."

I have had catchers ask, "Where is your strike zone Blue?" to which I replied, "Wherever I say it is"

As far as cursing on the field, the higher level you work, the more inventive the language becomes. The secret is to also maintain your composure and professionalism and much as humanly possible.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I agree with some of the other posters on this one, that inside pitch is a strike all day long. If you don't call that you WILL look like you are squeezing the zone. Nothing will ruin a game quicker than a postage stamp size zone. I give one ball width on the inside and outside. I also don't feel the need to justify my zone to anyone.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I agree with some of the other posters on this one, that inside pitch is a strike all day long. If you don't call that you WILL look like you are squeezing the zone. Nothing will ruin a game quicker than a postage stamp size zone. I give one ball width on the inside and outside. I also don't feel the need to justify my zone to anyone.
Exactly. I call an aggressive zone at every level -- from LL up through NCAA games -- and I hear *virtually nothing* on balls and strikes.

I've worked with guys that will "ball" a pitch they think is a half-inch inside and call nothing above the belt. Their games last 3+ hours and they get grief on balls and strikes almost constantly.

The NCAA message at the regional clinics was: "Call strikes." They also showed data from last year's championships that the highest rated plate guys also received comments next to their ratings saying, "Big zone, but very consistent."

We are not umpiring MLB and calling pitches for ML pitchers and catchers.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Tank, when he told his pitcher "he was going to have to throw it down the middle. He's not giving us nothing" he was asking to be EJ'd. When I was working college ball I had a catcher late in the game start whining about pitches. I told him that we'd had a good game , up until now, and I couldn't give him those pitches. He persisted and I asked him "Jimmy who's the back up catcher"? He said "I understand" and everything went smooth after that. Try to shut it it down as soon as you can.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

When a catcher, who is on a 19u team, says things like that, that means that he was frustrated with the zone. Unless this catcher is a rookie, you would suspect that he has caught quite a few games and knows how to successfully interact with umpires.

If a game gets to that point, where F2's are openly complaining about the zone, then the umpire needs to re-examine what he is doing for that game. Don't change it mid game, but learn from it.

Like I have said earlier, your interpretation of the strike zone has a direct bearing on the quality of the game.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I should clarify that up until him stating the pitch was good and I needed to give it to them, I do not feel as if he was questioning the zone, but asking to find out where the pitch missed. His body language and tone were not aggressive. When he openly criticised the zone to the pitcher where I could hear him (which I felt was geared mainly towards me not his pitcher) I thought ejection for a second but was uncertain if that would make me look like I had a quick hook so I opted for the warning. Sounds as if after his statement I should have shut it down then instead of giving him an answer.

This was within the second game of a double header they were playing. I have since found out that he pulled the same attitude on my partner, but he shut it down after him asking in a more aggressive tone. As he told me, he leaned down and told the catcher if he kept questioning ballls and strikes he would find out real fast how tight the zone could be.

I am not much into giving inside off the plate. Outside I will give a little as the ball is hittable.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I will respond to the catcher who asks where a pitch was with inside, outside, high, low as the case may be.

Ticking off a catcher is not worth it in the long run. It creates really long games and ruins the relationship you need to develop with them.

Call a decently large, aggressive zone and you'll stay out of trouble.

To answer your question about how to handle a catcher complaining about balls and strikes, I like to say, hey, John, great day for a ball game isn't it? He'll probably say yes, my response, good, let's play some ball then" Quick, easy and I've told him politely to knock it off.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I should clarify that up until him stating the pitch was good and I needed to give it to them, I do not feel as if he was questioning the zone, but asking to find out where the pitch missed. His body language and tone were not aggressive. When he openly criticised the zone to the pitcher where I could hear him (which I felt was geared mainly towards me not his pitcher) I thought ejection for a second but was uncertain if that would make me look like I had a quick hook so I opted for the warning. Sounds as if after his statement I should have shut it down then instead of giving him an answer.

This was within the second game of a double header they were playing. I have since found out that he pulled the same attitude on my partner, but he shut it down after him asking in a more aggressive tone. As he told me, he leaned down and told the catcher if he kept questioning ballls and strikes he would find out real fast how tight the zone could be.

I am not much into giving inside off the plate. Outside I will give a little as the ball is hittable.
That inside corner is a pitcher's pitch. Batters are hanging over the plate because they don't expect pitchers to throw there.

I give exactly the same on the inside as I do on the outside, BTW.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

If you are giving one ball on the outside, you should give one ball on the inside, no? Nobody is saying calling a strike when the ball doesn't touch the black, but if a pitcher can hit that inside pitch, I'm going to give it to him. Batters will adjust.

-----------------------