The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Coach handling??

So coach stares at my direction and is chirping to his catcher to do a better job so that umpire can do a better job of seeing obvious strike. I look over and say coach that's enough, he responds by saying I'm talking to my catcher and this is not his first rodeo. I called time walk over and say loud enough so only him and I can hear, that's enough another word and he would be restricted.

How would u guys handle?
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Don't give ultimatums.

1. Look over. 2. Warn. 3. Eject.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 12:21am.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MrUmpire;736907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Don't give ultimatums.

1. Look over. 2. Warn. 3. Eject.
I might ignore first.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=dash_riprock;736908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post

I might ignore first.
Yep. That happens first. My 1,2,3 are actions that follow.

The problem with ignoring is that most coaches don't know they were being ignored until you move on to the actions.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 02:37am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
So coach stares at my direction and is chirping to his catcher to do a better job so that umpire can do a better job of seeing obvious strike. I look over and say coach that's enough, he responds by saying I'm talking to my catcher and this is not his first rodeo. I called time walk over and say loud enough so only him and I can hear, that's enough another word and he would be restricted.

How would u guys handle?
1) First contact with coach is between innings; non confrontational; informing him that he is out of line.

"Coach, no more ball/strike comments."

2) Eject
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 07:55am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post

How would u guys handle?

What really amazes me is that coaches actually think that their illogical logic makes sense. I don't know how many times I have a basketball coach wait until I am in front of his bench to start complaining (in a voice load enough for me to hear) to his assistant coaches how lousy the officiating is.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Ignore him. Rabbit ears make for long seasons. Also, try not to stop a game and walk towards a coach for a confrontation. In the era of YouTube and camera phones you may find yourself looking worse as the responder. Most never see or hear what precedes it. The internet is full of videos from fans yelling at an umpire for a perceived over reaction.

I may say something to the catcher, when the batter is away from the box. "You're doing fine son. I'll call the same zone when you're batting." It's subtle and gets the point across.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Sun Mar 06, 2011 at 08:09am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Back to the question...

Handle with care, preferably with heavy thick gloves a radiation suit.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Well,

I would have three rules on this situation:

1) Ignore.
2) Ignore.
3) Ignore.

Oh I almost forgot -- mental notes have been marked forever in my mind -- the rope gets shorter for other issue.

T
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Ignore him. Rabbit ears
Stop it. Rabbit ears do *not* describe a coach obviously b!tching loudly enough for everyone to hear it. Rabbit ears describe making an effort to hear things that you probably *shouldn't be hearing*. If a coach doesn't want an umpire in his kitchen, he should talk softly enough so the umpire doesn't hear him. The coach doesn't get it both ways.

I'm with ignoring the coach, but if he persists you have no choice but to tell him to knock it off. When the coach comes back with the "I'm talking to the catcher" line, I've responded with "and I'm talking to you".

The rodeo line is funny. Especially since I've seen some very, very bad coaches with 25 years experience. Just like umpires, some coaches have one year of experience 25 times.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I would have three rules on this situation:

1) Ignore.
2) Ignore.
3) Ignore.

Oh I almost forgot -- mental notes have been marked forever in my mind -- the rope gets shorter for other issue.

T
Probably the best way to handle it. The coach put the umpire in a no win situation here, but that doesn't mean that 2 innings later when he steps a toe over the line I've forgotten how much of a douche he was before.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Stop it. Rabbit ears do *not* describe a coach obviously b!tching loudly enough for everyone to hear it. Rabbit ears describe making an effort to hear things that you probably *shouldn't be hearing*. If a coach doesn't want an umpire in his kitchen, he should talk softly enough so the umpire doesn't hear him. The coach doesn't get it both ways.

I'm with ignoring the coach, but if he persists you have no choice but to tell him to knock it off. When the coach comes back with the "I'm talking to the catcher" line, I've responded with "and I'm talking to you".
My apologies. I don't believe everyone could hear what the coach said, but since I was not there, he may have. I allow coaches to chirp and learned long ago that they have far more invested in the game than I do. While you may have a different definition of rabbit ears, mine works just fine. I don't take issue with things like the one described. It may have been meant for me but the retort he used was enough to indicate how the umpire would look for responding. Ignore it or risk a reputation of looking for fire where there is none.

I once had a coach tell his player to stop complaining because I was the best umpire he would see this year. It meant the same as the coach who complains. I ignore them both, but may smile at one a bit more.

Have a good season.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 01:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I allow coaches to chirp and learned long ago that they have far more invested in the game than I do.
Ugh.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Probably the best way to handle it. The coach put the umpire in a no win situation here, but that doesn't mean that 2 innings later when he steps a toe over the line I've forgotten how much of a douche he was before.
I mean this with the utmost respect since I have never seen you work a game. Do you allow a coach to bring up your kicked call from earlier in the contest?
Old Sun Mar 06, 2011, 01:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I mean this with the utmost respect since I have never seen you work a game. Do you allow a coach to bring up your kicked call from earlier in the contest?
Kicked call? His perception of my calls is pretty irrelevant.

I'll answer this with a question: If a coach comes out for the fourth time in a game to argue a call, are you giving him the exact same reception and the exact same reaction as the first time?

I go into every game with a clean slate. During the game, I'd be lying if BS like what the OP described doesn't go into my decision later if a coach comes out and is close to getting run -- it may just push him right into the parking lot.
Closed Thread