The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

If a pitcher can put that pitch a ball's width off the inside corner and the umpire calls it a strike, then the batter may have to back up a step and not crowd the plate. I'm not sure why this is my problem. I'm not sure why I need to worry about the hittability of a pitch -- some pitches are just that well placed as to be unhittable.

Unlike others, I never, ever say what I call a strike. Just that I call lots of them. If someone asks me what a pitch 2 balls off the plate is called, I'd say, "By rule, that's a ball" and change the subject.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You may feel that way. But if he turned around to talk to you (and he's not 10 years old), he is most definitely questioning your zone.

Good catcher-umpire communication will include some questions from the catcher. If you can't answer that question in 3-4 words, you're talking too much. 99% of the time, one word suffices. You also need to shorten your warning. "OK, that's enough" will be enough for most catchers. Don't put such a point on the threat. And honestly, your partner's "warning" was too long as well.
How many times does a catcher really not know where you judge the pitch to have missed? Wouldn't it be obvious 99% of the time?
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
How many times does a catcher really not know where you judge the pitch to have missed? Wouldn't it be obvious 99% of the time?
Well, I guess I'll answer with this ... if you're calling consistently and not squeezing like it sounds like OP was, you're not going to be asked very often. I find I'm asked more often on pitches that fooled the catcher for whatever reason. Catcher set up inside, and it's low and away - they might ask, wondering if it was low, or away (with "both" being an acceptable answer of course). That, or check swings or pitches where a runner is going - something where the catcher lost focus for a second.

If you have a postage stamp zone, you're going to get asked more often - and yes, you're probably right that the catcher knows the answer.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
"Was that low, blue?" YEP (never disagree with a catcher)

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
"Was that low, blue?" YEP (never disagree with a catcher)
Except when the catcher is batting, where the answer to that question is, "Nope, I called it a strike."

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In California, I worked a bunch of games for a particular team, so I got to know their catcher pretty well. Not that I think that is good, it's just the way it turned out. Well, he is at bat, a pitch comes in at the belt line, he takes, I strike it. He kind of looks sideways at me and I reply, "Steve, why did you take that one?" No answer, next pitch comes in, same spot, Steve cranks it over the fence. As he crosses home plate he has a big grin on his face...

Same catcher, up at bat, pitcher throws a really nice tight slider, Steve is fooled, and I ring him up (sort of dramatically)...he turns and say's, " Geeze Bob, you don't have to enjoy it THAT much"

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.