The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTberry View Post
Coach not an umpire so I don't pretend to know rules as well as you guys. But why would they have to tag up if its an automatic award for a rule violation? Wouldn't it be similar to throwing a ball into stands or dugout? I know it was caught in air but if they can advance without liability to be out out why the need to tag. Thanks in advance for your answers. Always trying to learn more.
Because even though you are awarded a base (whether through a situation like this one, or obstruction, or a ground rule double, etc), you are still required to run the bases properly. In this situation, if the runner was awarded home, and failed to retouch third, then when they are ready to begin play again the defense would still be allowed to appeal the runner having left the base early (before the catch), and the runner would be out. It would be the same as if on a ground rule double the batter-runner simply skipped first base and ran straight to 2nd - the defense could appeal the miss of first base.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach not an umpire so I don't pretend to know rules as well as you guys. But why would they have to tag up if its an automatic award for a rule violation? Wouldn't it be similar to throwing a ball into stands or dugout? I know it was caught in air but if they can advance without liability to be out out why the need to tag. Thanks in advance for your answers. Always trying to learn more.
An "award" is really "the right to run the bases without the defense making a play." You still need to comply with the base running rules.

For example, on a home run, you need to touch all the bases, and you can't pass another runner (and in FED you can't commit MC).

I agree that the rules *could* be written differently (it's an award -- just go there; if the award is home just go to the dugout), but they aren't.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because of OBR 7.08d "Any runner is out when; He fails to retouch his base after a fair or foul ball is legally caught before he, or his base, is tagged by a fielder. He shall not be called out for failure to retouch his base after the first following pitch, or any play or attempted play. This is an appeal play."

and

Rule 7.05(i) Comment: "The fact a runner is awarded a base or bases without liability to be put out does not relieve him of the responsibility to touch the base he is awarded and all intervening bases. For example: batter hits a ground ball which an infielder throws into the stands but the batterrunner
missed first base. He may be called out on appeal for missing first base after the ball is put in play even though he was “awarded” second base.

If a runner is forced to return to a base after a catch, he must retouch his original base even though, because of some ground rule or other rule, he is awarded additional bases. He may retouch while the ball is dead and the award is then made from his original base."

Bottom line here is because the rules say so..
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

How about FED rules?

Is it a dead ball once the catcher steps into the dugout, with a one-base award? Haven't umpired baseball in a long time and just curious.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Fed rules

Fed rules the ball dead as soon as the fielder enters DBT. The award is one base if unintentional and 2 bases if intentional.

Also, If you have a situation where obstruction occurs and the runner fails to touch the base and a following runner touches that base before the obstructed runner gets his opportunity to touch it, then the umpire awards the touch due to the obstruction.

2 runners headed toward home and the catcher obstructs the first and the second slides in safely. Call the obstruction and award the touch to the first runner.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have to run the bases properly no matter what. That's why HR hitters have to circle the bases rather than just going to the dugout.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the answers but I do know you can't skip first on a ground rule double and must run bases on home runs. LOL.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
Is it a dead ball once the catcher steps into the dugout, with a one-base award? Haven't umpired baseball in a long time and just curious.
Yes, if he enters DBT the ball is dead and the base is awarded. If he reaches into DBT and catches the ball the ball is still in play.

Tim.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I appreciate the answers but I do know you can't skip first on a ground rule double and must run bases on home runs. LOL.
Not sure why the LOL... the situation that is so obvious to you that you laugh about is exactly the same as the situation you asked a question about. If a player is awarded a base, for whatever reason, they must still run the bases properly - this applies to the GRD that you laugh at, and to the question you asked.

West Houston Mike