The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You went to junior high with Earl Strom? WOw.
Earl Campbell, sorry. You might remember him, he played in Houston. LOL
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
No relation to Earl. Went to Junior High with him. He, his brothers, and his mother are GREAT people. He also makes some pretty good hot links. If you watched the Heisman ceremony, he couldn't go up on stage. He can barely walk.

On the weather issue, I don't know who the teams were but last week they started a playoff game in Waco, and in the bottom of the first inning the weather caused the game to be suspended without a chance to be finished on Friday night. They drove to Arlington to finish the game. Otherwise the series would have been a one-game series completed on Saturday. I hope the crews turned in a new pay sheet for mileage.
Anything from the third round up until the state finals is a crap shoot at best. Filled in emergency for an umpire whose wife went into labor early. We went from Grand Prairie, stopped at Tyler, and finished in Kilgore. Long day, and everybody from the teams, fans, and umpires were just flat out exhausted and frustrated.

I attended one AAA playoff game, probably third round, a few years back. The four man crew came out wearing red shirts, and blew rotations. I doubt they will be invited back soon.

From what I've seen from our chapter in the playoffs, it's the same bunch working together. It got to the point that I was tired of giving my money to people that only took care of themselves. I would work the first six weeks, and call it a season.

One year they assigned some that didn't even bother to show for any meetings, and didn't take the state test.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:58pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanA View Post
Well my understanding and what I have been told, the coaches send a list to the chapter board of umpires they want. Numbered 1-15 or more. Then the board will try to place the umpires from their list to their playoff game.

Disclaimer:
I am not on the board nor have I sat in on these selection meetings. So I am just relaying third party information.

Allan
Some coaches send in names of people dead, or no longer umpiring. Who knows who does what anymore. All the associations officers do the state semis and finals for the most part.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
Dash I have him doing a "stop and go".
I don't know what that is.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Look at 52:37 of the clip and tell me if you would have balked him there.....

Tim.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Earl Campbell, sorry. You might remember him, he played in Houston. LOL
What might Earl Campbell have to do with "thunderstroms"

West Houston Mike
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 05:12pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post

Tim.
Are you asking because you don't know?
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post

Tim.
Sure looks like he broke his hands before stepping off.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

How about the FPSR at 26:50. Anything there?

Player gets ejected. And no, he wasn't the one sliding.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
How about the FPSR at 26:50. Anything there?

Player gets ejected. And no, he wasn't the one sliding.
We talked about this elsewhere. Sure looked like a FPSR to me - R1 had to reach for the base with his hand and slid in the direction of the fielder and altered the throw. With a 4-man crew, this is easy for U2 to get -- he has no other job.

I hadn't watched the aftermath before now. What a circus. I'm not sure which player got ejected, but I know #5 (spiking the ball) should've been and the head coach should've been run when he walked over to second and pointed at the slide mark -- missed call notwithstanding.

I'm not sure why these guys were chosen, but I just don't feel (watching a few minutes of this game) they were the strongest umpires that could've worked these games. If they are, it doesn't say much about the state of umpiring in this area.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Sure looks like he broke his hands before stepping off.
He balked. But they were saving their balk until it could end the game.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We talked about this elsewhere. Sure looked like a FPSR to me - R1 had to reach for the base with his hand and slid in the direction of the fielder and altered the throw. With a 4-man crew, this is easy for U2 to get -- he has no other job.

I hadn't watched the aftermath before now. What a circus. I'm not sure which player got ejected, but I know #5 (spiking the ball) should've been and the head coach should've been run when he walked over to second and pointed at the slide mark -- missed call notwithstanding.

I'm not sure why these guys were chosen, but I just don't feel (watching a few minutes of this game) they were the strongest umpires that could've worked these games. If they are, it doesn't say much about the state of umpiring in this area.
Agreed, I looked but still don't understand what they called and why they placed the runner back on 1B? If it's FPSR then its a DP. If not then the play stands -

These guys were very poor for sure.

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He balked. But they were saving their balk until it could end the game.
That's funny.

Our local HS had game last week and the 1B umpire waited until the 7th inning to balk in the winning run - his call was the F3 didn't have both feet in fair territory - and this was for the North State Championship - hey it gave our team the win - but very poor umpiring for the entire game.

I told my son who plays on our team - you don't call that in 7th inning when he's been doing it the entire game etc., but we'll take the @W

Thanks
David
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I don't know about you guys, but I have never seen a playoff game with such poor game management in my life. Batters were wandering all over the place, coaches wandered all over the place, the pace was slow as molasses, I just don't get it.

On the FPSR, that was obvious on the video. What I don't understand is how the DC can come onto the field during a LIVE ball and not be ejected. It looked like there were TWO coaches on the field arguing/discussing the call. Very poor indeed. Watching games like this makes my skin crawl.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 10:19am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
That's funny.

Our local HS had game last week and the 1B umpire waited until the 7th inning to balk in the winning run - his call was the F3 didn't have both feet in fair territory - and this was for the North State Championship - hey it gave our team the win - but very poor umpiring for the entire game.

I told my son who plays on our team - you don't call that in 7th inning when he's been doing it the entire game etc., but we'll take the @W

Thanks
David
Good Grief.

You not only don't call it in the 7th inning, you don't call it at all. Make F3 get right, or get a new F3.