The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

NASO vs. ABUA

I Have Been Asked By Some Fellow Officials Which Organization Is Better For Insurance. I Have Always Used ABUA As It Is Only $45 And I Get A Cool Id Card Haha. I Am Looking For Some Pros And Cons Of Each In Order To Give A Comprehensive List To My Fellow Officials. So To Those Of You That Are Members Of Either, What Are Your Thoughts?

Sorry For The Capital Letters, But I Am On My Mobile And Cannot Change It For Some Reason.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

A simple search would turn up these facts

ABUA $45 insurance

•Comprehensive $3 million liability insurance coverage
$1 million per occurance, 3 times/year, $1,000 deductible
•$100,000 accident medical plan, $1,000 deductible
•Game-fee-replacement insurance ($2,000 maximum)
$100/week - 20 weeks Maximum with one week deductible
•Insurance plan covers you when working any level of amateur baseball AND softball
•1 year members only access to special content at ABUA

NASO Insurance

1) General Liability Insurance Protection

Provides up to $3 million per occurrence, with an overall policy aggregate of $4 million for claims for bodily injury, property damage and personal injury, sporting activities that are organized by recognized sports organizations, leagues and associations and while assigning, attending seminars, conferences, camps, clinics and similar meetings.

2) Member Information & Consultation Program (MICP)

When an issue related to your officiating is concerning you, NASO’s MICP program can help. The MICP has two parts: Free information program handled by the staff of NASO and a consultation program through which NASO can put a member in contact with a knowledgeable person for an initial free consultation. When you feel the need to sort out an officiating-related issue, clarify your options or get advice, the MICP program is there for you. Members can use the program three times per year.

3) $50,000 Game Call and Assignor's Coverage

You're covered for claims against you alleging officiating-related errors or omissions which result in a claimed financial loss, but where there is no bodily injury. This would cover a challenged game call which resulted in a claimed financial loss or a suit against an assigner by a disgruntled official. Policy limits include defense costs.

4) Heart or Circulatory Malfunction Death Benefit Coverage

In the event of an officiating related cardiac death, NASO provides $5,000 coverage.

5) Assault Protection Program

Up to $5,000 medical reimbursement if you are the victim of an officiating related assault. Plus up to $3,000 reimbursement of attorney's fees for bringing a claim against the perpetrator.

6) Optional Game Fee Loss Insurance

Protects you from losing officiating game fees because of injury. Members have two game-fee protection options to choose from,,, payable up to 26 straight weeks.

7) Referee Magazine

Monthly members-only edition of Referee magazine covering officiating techniques, mechanics, personal development, industry news, rule changes and more. NASO members get 16 pages of useful, practical information in addition to the standard 72 pages of the magazine.

8) It’s Official Newsletter

Monthly 16-page newsletter providing association news, information, caseplays and educational product discounts.

9) NASO LockerRoom e-Newsletter

Monthly e-newsletter keeps you up-to-date on officiating techniques, news and more.

10) Annual Sport Quizzes

Online quizzes that will help you improve your knowledge of the rules.

11) Advocating on Critical Issues Impacting Sports Officiating

Through its media relations, NASO has been responsible for the promotion of positive awareness for sports officials. NASO’s legislative efforts have resulted in 20 states passing assault legislation, 16 passing limited-liability laws protecting sports officials and 12 states passing independent contractor legislation all designed to protect sports officials.

NASO membership also provides exclusive money-saving discounts on educational and instructional materials produced by NASO and Referee magazine, plus buying discounts for hotels, rental cars and registration fees to NASO’s annual sport officiating summit. NASO will also help you resume your officiating career when you relocate to a new area.

12) Discount to annual NASO Sports Officiating Summit

Money-saving discount on registration to sports officiating’s most important annual event.

13) Major Buying Discounts

Special members-only buying discounts on Referee and NASO publications. Savings up to 20%.

14) Savings on Personal Services

Special member savings on credit card, auto rental, hotel and other services you use for your officiating activities.

15) Relocation Referral Services

When you move to a new area, NASO will put you in touch with officiating leaders to keep your officiating career on track.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

I'm prety sure it was coered here oh, 10 years or so ago. You could try to search for it (maybe you have).

As I recall, one of the big differences was which games / practices / scrimmages etc were covered -- for example, if you stay after the 10-run rule, or a team is down to 8 players (non FED), are you covered?