Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
For breaking what rule, exactly?
Continuous motion
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Continuous motion
That's not a rule... it's just two words. I was trying to walk him through it to get him to the correct conclusion...

But the rule to which you obliquely refer, this is a balk to HOME, not a balk to 2nd.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Agreed!

We still talking IIITBTSB?
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed!

We still talking IIITBTSB?
Yes.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Continuous motion
"Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have one hand on his side;from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion."

Not applicable here. We are talking after the set.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
"Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have one hand on his side;from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion."

Not applicable here. We are talking after the set.
"8.01(b) After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption."

Although no penalty is listed for violating most of the 8.01 restrictions, accepted practice in OBR is to balk this and "start stop".

Other codes actually prescribe the balk.

I thought the point I was making was that a balk can be called "to home" with R2. I guess I wasn't clear. I agree that IITBTSB.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 05:58pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I wouldn't either. But if he paused while in the look back to 2B and nothing was moving I would balk it.
Okay, he has stopped his motion from going home. Balk. But Mike Mussina, Hideki Nomo, Mariano Riveria actually by the rule book balk. Not called in MLB. I try not pick boogers at the lower level only if they so very obvious. Gorilla arm is a fine example from a few years ago in FED. By the wording in OBR, gorilla are should not be permitted.

Many pitchers probably break their hands before they have completely stepped of the back of the rubber before throwing to first. I've haven't really noticed that split second move, but I'm not looking at that part to begin with.

Sorry, if I offended you......bless your heart for working JUCO ball. Those games can be brutal. Double headers, oy vey! Been there, done that.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

R2. RH pitcher. Comes set. Simultaneously stepw with his right (pivot) foot toward second and throws the ball. No (or limited) pivot on left (front foot). Awkward, but do-able.

Balk? Why?
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
R2. RH pitcher. Comes set. Simultaneously stepw with his right (pivot) foot toward second and throws the ball. No (or limited) pivot on left (front foot). Awkward, but do-able.

Balk? Why?
The pivot foot is supposed to land before the hands come apart. Granted, on snap throws to 1B or 3B we don't enforce it because it happens quickly, but on this move the foot not landing while the hands are already apart seems a lot more obvious.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
The pivot foot is supposed to land before the hands come apart. Granted, on snap throws to 1B or 3B we don't enforce it because it happens quickly, but on this move the foot not landing while the hands are already apart seems a lot more obvious.
The pivot foot is supposed to land before the pitcher throws to a base. The pitcher has to step off before separating the hands, otherwise he has begun to pitch and then he has to complete it.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
The pivot foot is supposed to land before the pitcher throws to a base. The pitcher has to step off before separating the hands, otherwise he has begun to pitch and then he has to complete it.
Just got back to this. Cant tell if you are correcting my previous post or aggreeing with it.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I was saying that there is not a requirement that the foot has to land before he separates his hands. It does have to land before he throws to a base though. However, if the pitcher separates their hands before they step off, then they have begun to pitch and have to complete it.

Granted sometimes there is a fine line between when he steps off and separates his hands.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 06:56pm
In Time Out

If you're not stealing, or going on first movement when on 2nd or 3rd, you have no business getting picked off the base.