The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm in position C while F2 throws to F5 attempting to pickoff R3. The throw beats R3, but with F5 having his back to me with his body between R3 and me I see no tag. I call R3 safe. Between innings I ask my more experienced partner if I should have asked him for help on the tag before I made the call. He said no, it's my call and if I didn't see a tag I made the right call. Opinions?
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

You can't call what you don't see.

Next time you might try to take a couple of steps toward the 3B line as the pitch is delivered. Also as the play ends after your call steal a couple of steps to the bag, the crowd won't notice and you look like you were closer than you may have been. Ty
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

You want to step quickly towards the 45 foot line (midpoint) between home and third base. The footwork should be similiar to a pickoff at first base.

This footwork should allow the base umpire to gain a better angle to view the play going back into third. Remember, angle over distance.

Also, you should use this footwork to follow R2 stealing third, since you do not want to be moving while the ball is in flight from the pitchers hand to the plate.