The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

RHP Pick off attempt to first. Balk?

A few days ago I had a coach who was convinced that the opposing pitcher was balking on his pick off move to first, but I saw no reason to call the balk. His move was unusual, but I didn't see anything balk-worthy about it.

VFW game, NFHS rules. Right handed F1, set position, R1 on first base. Without picking up his pivot foot, he turns/pivots, and steps and throws to first base. We typically see right handed pitchers do the jump/turn and step to first, and this guy did almost exactly that, except he didn't come off the ground, just turned.

The OC (who I know pretty well, used to coach Legion ball and I called a lot of his games until he disappeared, apparently to coach VFW, which I don't usually call) felt certain that since his non-pivot foot moved first (as he picked it up to turn), then it must be a balk. I pointed out that that foot is also the first to move on a legal step and throw pick off to third and to second for a RHP and to first and second as LHP in moves that he doesn't have a problem with, but that didn't convince him because this runner was not at second or third. He thought that special rules applied when the runner is on first. I told him that the only thing I'm aware of that is different about pick offs to first base is that the pitcher can't fake a throw to first base when engaged with the runner, and this pitcher was not faking, he was stepping and throwing, so I had it legal.

He did not pick his left leg up and bend it toward his chest as he did with his pitch delivery, so I didn't find it to be executing actions normally associated with his delivery. Neither his leg, nor his body made movement toward home plate, so I didn't see anything wrong with it there either. No matter how hard I try, and I have tried, I can't find a way that it is illegal.

The pitcher did it twice in the first inning, but was getting shelled and was removed from the game, so we didn't see it anymore, but the coach and I talked about it between a few half innings in that game. He was never unprofessional about it or disrespectful in the argument (more like a discussion, really), but we finally quit talking about it because we just couldn't agree.

I have reviewed OBR and the NFHS rule book and case book to find anything that specifically addresses a move like this, but found nothing. I didn't find anything that said it was legal either, but we all know that a lot of times legal actions aren't listed, only illegal ones, and I didn't find this to violate anything.

In the end, the goal is to get all calls right every time, so if I'm wrong, I want to know. But I haven't found anything to convince me of that. Not yet, anyway.

We've both talked to others and received mixed responses. What do you guys think? (Sorry this was so long)
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Jeremy, your post, while lenghty, still confused me. You state, "Without picking up his pivot foot, he turns/pivots, and steps and throws to first base." How can the pitcher, turn/pivot AND step without picking up his pivot foot? Is he twisted toward first with his pivot foot still planted in its original position?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Step and throw to occupied 1B? Legal. Who cares what the pivot does.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

@mbyron, That's what I thought.

@RPatrino, His pivot foot did come up, as he stepped and threw. He just didn't do the jump/spin thing before the throw that we most often see from righties to first base.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Also, how does RHP step to 1st without picking up his foot? Is he supposed to drag it on the ground? Just lifting the free foot is not a balk!
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
As I interpret the OP, the issue is what the pitcher did with his pivot foot. If things were as described, F1 lifted his free foot, stepped and threw to 1b. As presented, I don't have a balk. He did not move his pivot foot, which, while awkward is not a balk.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 10:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

It is perfectly legal for a pitcher to step and throw to an occupied base while in the set position. There is no rule difference between what an LHP and an RHP may do.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Jeremy, your post, while lenghty, still confused me. You state, "Without picking up his pivot foot, he turns/pivots, and steps and throws to first base." How can the pitcher, turn/pivot AND step without picking up his pivot foot? Is he twisted toward first with his pivot foot still planted in its original position?
You can pivot on a foot without lifting it entirely off the ground. Even with spikes on.

You don't see it as much anymore but it was the only legal move to first from the rubber for a RH pitcher for many years -- until they started to allow the jump turn and jab step, both of which were technically illegal.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever I first introduce the concept to coaches that the pitcher can, indeed, throw to first without disengaging, the first question they invariably ask is, "Are you saying he can just turn and throw?"

They ask the question while demonstrating the move you describe which is an awkward move.

My answer? Yes he can.

Rita
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I remember getting into a heated discussion with a fellow coach about this very thing a few years ago. He insisted that RH pitchers can't do what the OP described.

To settle the argument I asked if it's legal for LH pitchers to make the move. He answered "Of course." I responded with "So you're telling me there's a separate section in the rules for RH vs. LH pitchers?" Deer in headlights.

All that being said, I wouldn't coach a RH pitcher to do this precisely because there is so much confusion over it and it's just as effective, if not more so, to teach RH pitchers a more "traditional" pick-off move.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Whenever I first introduce the concept to coaches that the pitcher can, indeed, throw to first without disengaging, the first question they invariably ask is, "Are you saying he can just turn and throw?"

They ask the question while demonstrating the move you describe which is an awkward move.

My answer? Yes he can.

Rita
As long as we have a step to the base before the throw.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 05:53pm
In Time Out

Or more commonly called, gain ground and distance.............
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As long as we have a step to the base before the throw.
The move, as I envision it, includes a step. An awkward one but it is a step.

So there.

Rita