The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
MD, I think your confusing interpretation with Rule.

Rule NFHS Def.2-2-1 says Awarded Base is "the right to advance without a play being made", "it is the responsibility of the runner to legally touch those bases".

This rule alone would result in a run being scored, whether R2 was tagged for over running 3B or not.

"but they defy the internal logic of the rest of the rules)".

Not sure what other rules this defy's.
I'm not confusing anything. I know the rule. I'm saying the rule makes no sense.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upprdeck View Post
so does the same logic apply of the trailing runner passes runner on 3rd before he scores?
No because the rules state that a runner when passing " an obstructed preceding runner before such runner is out (including awarded bases)"
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm not confusing anything. I know the rule. I'm saying the rule makes no sense.
Which is your interpretation. I am just wondering what other rules you think this defy's.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which is your interpretation. I am just wondering what other rules you think this defy's.
A) If the 3rd out occurs before a runner has crossed the plate, does the run score? Answer: No, of course not... except in this one instance.
B) If the runner from 2nd makes the 3rd out by passing the runner from 3rd, does the run score? Answer: Depends on rule set... but in those where the run doesn't score - what makes being tagged off the base different from being called out for passing a runner?
C) If BR, on a walk or homer, fails to touch first base, and the defense appeals, does the run score? Answer: No - BR was put out before reaching first... contradicting the ruling for the OP

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

A) If the 3rd out occurs before a runner has crossed the plate, does the run score? Answer: No, of course not... except in this one instance.

The rules are quite specific about the criteria of when a run scores or not and this one instance is not contrary to them.

B)If the runner from 2nd makes the 3rd out by passing the runner from 3rd, does the run score? Answer: Depends on rule set... but in those where the run doesn't score - what makes being tagged off the base different from being called out for passing a runner?

I can't speak about other rule sets however, NFHS clearly states that passing runner is an out, even during an awarded base.

C) If BR, on a walk or homer, fails to touch first base, and the defense appeals, does the run score? Answer: No - BR was put out before reaching first... contradicting the ruling for the OP

Again I don't see the contradictions you are talking about. (and this Fed only). The rules clearly set the criteria for when the run scores or not.

Sorry, I am just not seeing your confusion here.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I am just not seeing your confusion here.
A) You just MADE my point, and B) I'm really not confused. Not in the slightest.

In a feeble attempt to clarify, I will say that I am not saying the rules themselves are contradictory (which seems to be what you're all wrapped up in)... I'm saying the logic is not consistent.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 22, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A) You just MADE my point, and B) I'm really not confused. Not in the slightest.

In a feeble attempt to clarify, I will say that I am not saying the rules themselves are contradictory (which seems to be what you're all wrapped up in)... I'm saying the logic is not consistent.
Oh sorry, your talking reality. Being an Engineer we tend to get lost in all the technical details and forget about that sometimes. Kind of like the "Speed up Rules"
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 01:38pm
In Time Out

Play sounds like a ball four, and catcher throws down to 3B where R2 has rounded 3B. Never ever mentioned R2 passing R3.

If an uncaught third strike.......no run from the OP.

Some of you need to stay on your side of road.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Can you think of any ruleset in which the ball isn't live on a walk? Tee ball maybe.
No walks in Tee-Ball.