The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Junior and I had a varsity game this afternoon. Six times today I went to the "B" position with Runners on 1B and 3B and each and every time the Runner on 1B stole 2B on Catcher's Indifference on the very first pitch to the Batter.

MTD, Sr.
That is really bad baseball.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:55pm
DG DG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Junior and I had a varsity game this afternoon. Six times today I went to the "B" position with Runners on 1B and 3B and each and every time the Runner on 1B stole 2B on Catcher's Indifference on the very first pitch to the Batter.

MTD, Sr.
There are no automatic steals here. Defensive indifference (don't put that on the catcher, coach has made the call and you can tell because F3 is not holding) only happens with a large late inning lead.

Its a short stroll from B to C.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have an intense dislike for the new NFHS Two-Umpire mechanic that requires the BU to be in the "B" position when there are Runners on 1B and 3B. I can truly say without exaggeration or hyperbole that well over 95% of the time I have had this situation, I have only been in the "B" for not more than two pitches because the Offensive Team has its Runner on 1B steal 2B and the Defensive Team lets the Runner steal 2B due to Catcher Indifference. Stupid, stupid mechanic.

I guess I am getting lazy and senile in my old age.

MTD, Sr.
B is a super mechanic w/ R1, R3...or R1.

It gives you a super look at swipe tag at 2B.

MLB mechanic, NCAA mechanic, and now FED finally jumped on board.

We agree to disagree.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:14pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
You're comparing Texas HS baseball to Midwest HS baseball, and there's no comparison. In the Great Lakes states, the average HS team has problems getting out of its own way. Making a play requiring an error-free sequence of catch, throw, catch, throw, catch, tag is WAY beyond a good two-thirds of HS varsity teams where baseball weather doesn't arrive until the season is over.

Don't speak for us up here in Minnesota.

Our kids can execute that play all day. BTW, I just got 8" of snow tonight. I won't sniff a field for another week.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:22pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
There are no automatic steals here. Defensive indifference (don't put that on the catcher, coach has made the call and you can tell because F3 is not holding) only happens with a large late inning lead.

Its a short stroll from B to C.

It doesn't only happen in large late inning leads. I had it down 6 times in the first four innings of a 2 run game.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It doesn't only happen in large late inning leads. I had it down 6 times in the first four innings of a 2 run game.

MTD, Sr.
If there is no indifference, B, IMHO, gives you a better look at the steal, which you need in high level games where they will throw and get the out and also possibly get the out at home if R3 goes. However, you will still see many pro and college umps in C. Those mechanics, except for a college LHP batter, in three and four man allow ump preference to position. The last bad call I saw in pro was the ump in C when he should have been in B. I don't think he will taking my advice any time soon.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 152
I agree with the perception issue on calling the pickoff at first from the "C". Just last night, R1 and R2, so I was in the "C". Pitch in the dirt that the catcher blocked, but rolled a few feet away. R2 took a couple of steps but held at second, R1 took a couple more quick steps toward second, then started back as the catcher snapped a quick throw down to first. I took one or two quick steps and then made the out call on a play that was not that close - the tag was down and applied as the runner slid back headfirst. However, the OC was livid, not because he saw anything different, as he admitted he didn't have a good look on the play, but that "there's no way you can make that call from there (meaning the "C")!!!" I told him I was in the place I was supposed to be and that his runner was clearly out as the tag was waiting for him as he slid back, and that I had a good view of the play. His only retort was again that there was no way I could make that call from where I was. I told him his runner was out and turned and walked away. He proceeds to my partner and whines a little more, where my partner repeated almost exactly the same to the OC as I had, including the fact that his runner was easily out.

The next inning with R1, a soft liner was hit to F6 that looked like it might fall. F6 makes a nice diving catch, and fires to F3, who was off the base and had to make a swipe tag on the runner to double him up. A similar tag play, and actually more of a banger, but not one peep from the OC, presumably because I was now in the "B" and not the "C". Either that, or he realized what a rat he really is - doubtful, though.
__________________
Never argue with idiots...they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 11:09am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It doesn't only happen in large late inning leads. I had it down 6 times in the first four innings of a 2 run game.

MTD, Sr.
So you want to be in C to avoid having to walk from B to C?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 02:51pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So you want to be in C to avoid having to walk from B to C?

Rich:

I am saying that I went into the season with an open mind about the new mechanic but in my games it has been a waste of time because what it is supposed to help cover has not arisen. And at my age it is from "C" to "B" and back to "C".

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 02:53pm. Reason: Added sentence.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 05:33pm
Is this a legal title?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Don't speak for us up here in Minnesota.

Our kids can execute that play all day.
Allowing that things may be different now, when I worked in the Rochester/Albert Lea area in the early '90s, those kids couldn't catch a raindrop in a thunderstorm. Relative to what I saw and see in the South and West, the Midwest kids, on average, suck. I heard things were better in MSP, but never got there; I was only in MN for two seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Allowing that things may be different now, when I worked in the Rochester/Albert Lea area in the early '90s, those kids couldn't catch a raindrop in a thunderstorm. Relative to what I saw and see in the South and West, the Midwest kids, on average, suck. I heard things were better in MSP, but never got there; I was only in MN for two seasons.
down there, I don't have any information to contradict what you're saying.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:50am
I hate Illinois Nazis
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 157
IHSA says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have an intense dislike for the new NFHS Two-Umpire mechanic that requires the BU to be in the "B" position when there are Runners on 1B and 3B. I can truly say without exaggeration or hyperbole that well over 95% of the time I have had this situation, I have only been in the "B" for not more than two pitches because the Offensive Team has its Runner on 1B steal 2B...
I'm still in B with R2 and R3. Third base isn't in jeopardy of being stolen. That's the only time to be in C in Illinois. I agree with it.
__________________
This is what the Sovereign Lord says: "In the pride of your heart you say, 'I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas.' But you are a mere mortal and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god." (Ezekiel 28:2)
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 12:20pm
Is this a legal title?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 360
A good general rule is for the BU to position himself based on the pre-pitch rotation.

If PU is rotating to 3rd, BU is in B. If PU is staying home, BU is in C.

With two outs and R2, R3 or R1, R2, R3, I like 'B'. With 0 or 1 out and RISP, I like C whether a steal of 3rd is possible or not. Back-picks happen, and when they do, I like to be nearer them.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 02:56pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapopez View Post
I'm still in B with R2 and R3. Third base isn't in jeopardy of being stolen. That's the only time to be in C in Illinois. I agree with it.
That's a big call at 3B... credible distance is important. R2, R3, I'm in C.
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 06:59am
CT1 CT1 is offline
Official & ***** Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,048
Although our state mandates Position C for R2 + R3, many times I get moved to deep B by the runner and/or F6.

As long as you stay close to 2nd base, you get a good look at the snap throw to 3rd, and you're at a reasonably credible distance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3-Umpire Mechanic Situation Dholloway1962 Softball 8 Thu Sep 24, 2009 07:56am
New(ish) three umpire mechanic JCurrie Baseball 13 Sun Apr 19, 2009 09:32am
ASA Umpire Mechanic PDF ChrisRack Softball 5 Thu Apr 03, 2008 04:37pm
Umpire mechanic for scrimmage kick? tskill Football 1 Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:35am
MLB 4 Umpire Mechanic Dave Davies Baseball 1 Wed Nov 22, 2000 09:59am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1