The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

3-Umpire Mechanic Situation

The other 2-umpire situation brought up a situation that happened to me over the weekend and wanted input on proper mechanic.

3-umpires, bases loaded, and two out. Batter hits a fly ball down left field near foul line that drops fair. 3BU chases. Now, hopefully I get runners labeled correctly and avoid being chastised....R1 scores easily, R2 touches 3rd heads home as R1 heads towards 3B. Going to be a play at 3B, which is the PU (me) call. As I see this developing I realize I'm going to have a pretty close time play at the plate. Now I'm thinking where do I get into position to watch the tag play at 3B and watch when the runner touches the plate. I wound up closer to HP and was able to watch the runner touch before the tag. The play at 3B wasn't close and was safe so timing play didn't come into play.

I felt I was waaaaaaay too far away to make a sell call if the play at 3B had been a close play.

What would be the best way to position yourself? If you devote your full attention to the tag you are going to guess on if the run scored first.

Thanks for input.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

If there's going to be a play at the plate, that 1BU should have shaved over towards 3B to cover that play. We work in priorities, and that shouldn't be your call when you have a potential play on a runner coming home.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I am guessing your second "R1" is actually the Batter Runner, which would be the responsibility of the 1BU in 3 man mechanics.
Just like 2 man (because at that point you are in 2 man mechanics), he/she would take that runner all the way to 3rd base. PU stays home.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
The other 2-umpire situation brought up a situation that happened to me over the weekend and wanted input on proper mechanic.

3-umpires, bases loaded, and two out. Batter hits a fly ball down left field near foul line that drops fair. 3BU chases. Now, hopefully I get runners labeled correctly and avoid being chastised....R1 scores easily, R2 touches 3rd heads home as R1 heads towards 3B.
R1 is one fast runner. Touches the plate and heads back toward 3B! WOW!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure you mean R3 was heading to 3B

Quote:
Going to be a play at 3B, which is the PU (me) call. As I see this developing I realize I'm going to have a pretty close time play at the plate. Now I'm thinking where do I get into position to watch the tag play at 3B and watch when the runner touches the plate. I wound up closer to HP and was able to watch the runner touch before the tag. The play at 3B wasn't close and was safe so timing play didn't come into play.
If R2 was still heading home, the call at 3B may not have been yours, but was yours. Speaking ASA, it is a little vague. You have the call at 3B, but are still supposed to watch the scoring runner touch the plate.

Based on the principle of the BU always having the trail runners, I would think s/he should be prepared to take a call at 3B if you are unable. This is where that great umpire-to-umpire communications comes into play.

Quote:
I felt I was waaaaaaay too far away to make a sell call if the play at 3B had been a close play.

What would be the best way to position yourself? If you devote your full attention to the tag you are going to guess on if the run scored first.

Thanks for input.
Well, you can make a quick peek after seeing the play, but we all know you aren't supposed to take your eyes off the play.

Or you can hope your partners can help
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure you mean R3 was heading to 3B
And I tried so hard to get the labeling right!!!! That would be correct.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Angle over distance and you have a great angle for selling the play at 3B just fine. So you are probably correctly closer to home, as a play developing there is a possibility and that is the priority.

Your partner has got the back door.

You are left with your half, 3b and home.

2man is far from ideal in some situations, and this would be one of them.

If you do something different, communicate - you might can get your partner to take 3B with communication... but that could leave the potential play @ 2b open... which is never pretty.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
.... This is where that great umpire-to-umpire communications comes into play.
How about the timing play signal? Sorry Irish.

Hopefully U3 is not still facing the outfield and, with nothing else to do, watching the play and able to help if asked.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
That's another post

Quote:
Hopefully U3 is not still facing the outfield and, with nothing else to do, watching the play and able to help if asked.
Absolutely! It is very irritating to see an umpire go out, watch the ball head back toward the infield by looking over their shoulder while still facing the OF fence.

Just because an umpire is told, "once you go out, you stay out" does not mean you are no longer involved in the game.

Turn and follow the ball. Start "walking" toward the IF while watching the play (just don't get close). You are not going to make the initial call, but that does not mean your partners cannot use your eyes for help.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
I forget... What's that signal again? Grabbing your crotch or your @$$?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.