The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

New(ish) three umpire mechanic

I was reading my Baseball Canada Manual for Three Umpires, and I noticed a new mechanic that has supposedly been used in CCA and/or PBUC for the last year or two. With two outs and U3 inside, he is now supposed to leave the outfield to cover a fly ball to his area.

Would anyone like to share their experiences with this new mechanic? It seems like a train wreck waiting to happen. I can imagine numerous scenarios in which U3 goes out with the ball, and U1 is left to sprint into the infield and cover a play at second or third. Even if U1 reacts immediately and begins heading to the infield, the runners are moving on contact and I foresee him having to call a lot of plays from poor angles.

I'd love to hear your experiences with this.

I also apologize if this has been discussed, but I wasn't able to find any previous threads with the search function.

Last edited by JCurrie; Fri Apr 17, 2009 at 07:22pm. Reason: Updated Email Notifications
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 11:24pm

Shalom. Oh, wait...you said "newish" mechanic. Sorry.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Oy vey!
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

My understanding that this mechanic was used only when there is R2 or R2 and R3. Thus, U1's responsibility would be the BR at 1B, 2B and 3B. If that's the case, U1 would be fine.

One possibility of problems is that R2 doesn't realize that there two outs and holds up. That could create a play at 2B or 3B? I don't know. I'm also from Canada and I've only experimented with this mechanic a couple of times.

Last edited by Jay R; Sat Apr 18, 2009 at 06:22am.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
One possibility of problems is that R2 doesn't realize that there two outs and holds up. That could create a play at 2B or 3B? I don't know. I'm also from Canada and I've only experimented with this mechanic a couple of times.
Is that more of a problem in Canada? I'm trying to understand the relevance of your last sentence to evaluating this mechanic.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Is this true? It can't be serious can it?
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra2955 View Post
Is this true? It can't be serious can it?
Is what true?

That it's the CCA mechanic? Yes, that's true.

That it's being used in Canada? Maybe -- I would tend to give the OP the benefit of the doubt on this.

That it only applies with R2 or R2,R3? That's not true, at least not for CCA.

Yes, it requires umpres to be alert and react quickly. Note that the mechanic does not apply on "trouble balls" where the outfielder is coming in to get a low line-drive. Only on fly balls with converging fielders and balls that threaten the fence. That gives all the umpre more time to react and move.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Oregon uses the "Oregon Modified" mechanics which are based on CCA.

We teach, in certain situations, for an inside umpire to feel free to "go out" on trouble balls. We also teach for an inside umpire to "always" go out on a "ball to the wall."

In fact I posted a video here last season when I was working a state championship game and went out from the inside on a home run hit to RCF.

Regards,
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

This change was talked about for years in Canada and was first used last year. In the last couple of years there have been a couple of MiLB umpires leave the system and return to Canada, with some even being instructors at the pro schools. They have now been given greater power and you can expect to see more changes in the near future.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
This change was talked about for years in Canada and was first used last year. In the last couple of years there have been a couple of MiLB umpires leave the system and return to Canada, with some even being instructors at the pro schools. They have now been given greater power and you can expect to see more changes in the near future.
Excuse my confusion. What does former MiLB umpires returning to Canada have to do with Canada adopting US college mechanics?
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Is that more of a problem in Canada? I'm trying to understand the relevance of your last sentence to evaluating this mechanic.
My reference was to the fact that our region has not been using this mechanic and that I've used it on a trial basis with some umpires.

I didn't mean that Canadian ballplayers don't know how many out there are.

When I tried it, my partners were telling me that it was only with R2 or R2-R3.
So the mechanic applies any time there are 2 outs?

Last edited by Jay R; Sat Apr 18, 2009 at 03:29pm.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

hmm,

Quote:
"So the mechanic applies any time there are 2 outs?"
No, not really.

With R2 U1 is in "B" . . . no matter the number of outs if a fly ball is hit to the wall (either taking F8 towards F9 or anything to RF) U1 vacates the infield and heads "out."

We will also go "out" when U3 is in "C" (ex: R1) and if the ball is to the wall or between converging fielders. The mechanic works well with seasoned crews.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Sat Apr 18, 2009 at 04:00pm.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Excuse my confusion. What does former MiLB umpires returning to Canada have to do with Canada adopting US college mechanics?
The new mechanics are more inline with what is done by PBUC. CCA allows the inside guy to go out alot more often than PBUC.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurrie View Post
I was reading my Baseball Canada Manual

Just kidding, go out from infield in small u coverage (your corner outfielder in/out to the centerfielder turning your way) on trouble balls (with obvious exceptions). On routine balls now, infield guy takes all routine ball in big u. Plate and corner guy takes ball that take outfielder to lines......