The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

In the past, MLB has had problems with AAA replacement umpires coming up and having problems adapting to the specific mechanic the Crew Chief wants used.

This has been specifically addressed. The powers that be have decreed that EVERY crew employ the exact same mechanics. There will no longer be a learning curve for replacement umpires. They will already know the mechanic to be used.

For instance, when U2 has vacated 2nd, there were options as to who would cover that base, U3 on a perceived single, U1 on a perceived double. No more. U3 is now instructed to cover a now unguarded 2nd base.

Another change (this should be very interesting to Carl), MLB will no longer, on a 4 man mechanic, teach the Pivot. This is also being considered with a 3 man crew. The pivot on a 2 umpire crew is also being discussed (Jim Evans is still teaching the pivot). All of this, of course, not valid until ratification by the union.

Is there a manual for these changes? Yes. I have a copy but haven't had a chance to read it yet. The final draft was dated 4 Nov. There may be a couple of changes before it has been finally ratified.

Dave Davies
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
In 1989 I was the first state-wide clinician for Texas. The four-man system I devised and taught the 100-plus local clinicians worked on five very simple principles.

1. The umpires should rotate exactly as they do in a three-man system, i.e., clockwise. When U2 stays in the outfield, U3 takes second, PU takes third, U1 takes the plate. For amateurs that's more important (easily remembered) than for the MLUs, who rarely work three-man.

2. Since we never sent U1 to second (except if U2 went to sleep in the outfield while U3 covered down the left-field line), we abolished the pivot without ever talking about it.

3. We always placed U2 in C with R1 only. Reasons: less likely to mask an infielder, less chance of getting hit by a throw, easier pivot to look between base and sliding runner, more working room to bounce for tags on great slides.

4. Whenever a wing umpire goes out, U2 covers second and PU takes the vacated base.

5. U2 returns to the infield following every obvious base hit but remains in the outfield for every catch/trap.

Any group of experienced umpires can learn those in 20 minutes and avoid the snafus that often occur when a two-man crew doubles its size.

I'm glad to see that professional baseball is finally catching up with the Texas Umpires Association.