The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Don't talk to the coach about his press interview. Nothing good can come of it.

He's the dope. Your assignor knows all about. Be Calm, and Carry On.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Forget the lawsuit and find a way to dump his *** every time you see him again.
Perfect!
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
So just think that coach just made a bad call. Nah, he fabricated a bad call. If you can't distinguish between an umpire making an honest boot of a call and a coach dishonestly lying about what someone said, then you must be...a coach.

Upon further thinking about it, I change my mind, I think he's rat-bastid a-hole. And not worth losing a wink of sleep about.

You sure would be, if you went to the press and lied about a conversation the two of you had about the call.
You didn't get it. Figures.

It was about losing sleep agonizing over a call.

You think coaches don't agonize over their decisions that went south?

You don't get 10% of the grief coaches get. The get it, depending on their level, from some combination of players, parents, league officials, school officials, the press, the TV talking heads, their barber, the convenience store clerk when they go in to buy their beer to cry in, and Billy's Grandmother. Coaches get fired for making too many bad decisions - you just move on to your next game.

Then they see in the news that a supervisor of officials put a bounty on a coach - "in jest" he said - and didn't even get a wrist slap. Dash posts that you should find a way to dump the coach in the OP every time and Ozzy agrees. Vendetta time? Wonderful!

And you think the coach is the one who is out of line?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

You don't get 10% of the grief coaches get. The get it, depending on their level, from some combination of players, parents, league officials, school officials, the press, the TV talking heads, their barber, the convenience store clerk when they go in to buy their beer to cry in, and Billy's Grandmother. Coaches get fired for making too many bad decisions - you just move on to your next game.

Then they see in the news that a supervisor of officials put a bounty on a coach - "in jest" he said - and didn't even get a wrist slap. Dash posts that you should find a way to dump the coach in the OP every time and Ozzy agrees. Vendetta time? Wonderful!

oh, was that what we were talking about? poor misunderstood coaches. Though, that was a fairly respectable rant.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah Rich, I agree with Dash. The coach ran his mouth to the press and lied (as far as we know). We really can't do anything about the press so when we see him again, he has no leash at all. He goes on the first problem. When he questions, I have no problem telling him the next time he speaks to the press, speak for yourself and no one else. Remember, Rich, no one ever speaks for us (umpires). Coaches get to spew their diarrhea and the press loves it. We have no input so when coaches want to be jerks, they will be spectators for a while. Maybe they will learn their lesson.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

The thing that annoys me with this entire situation is the fact that the player did something he should not have. In my judgement it was directed to me in an act of trying to show me up and warranted an ejection. Instead of looking at the issue of the player doing something inappropriate and fussing at him, I am portrayed as the bad guy in the overall picture. The player messed up and will now have to pay the consequences as far as I am concerned. Do not make excuses for him or try to blame others, he made a decision and will now have to live with it and he should have to pay the consequences and realize he did something he should not have. Instead though, it will probably be portrayed as "the mean umpire was wrong and you did nothing wrong. " What does the player learn from that?

In regards to the coach's comments, as you all know already my assignor is aware of what occurred. He tells me that the state was put on notice and he feels as if nothing else needs to be done on my end. If there is an issue with anything the state will contact me directly. I feel as if it is best to probably just move on and not make it into a huge issue unless it occurs again. At least currently people are aware of what occurred.

Jicecone - the report that is mandatory is for an ejection. You have 24hrs to submit this report or the state sees it as never occurring and you as an official get in trouble. You have the option of reporting cases of unsportsmanlike conduct (which this would be considered), cases of good sportsmanship, etc. These secondary reports are optional on the end of the official.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes. Yes, he is.

While your "man the ramparts" speech here is just terrific, it's also about 98% irrelevant. And the Pac-10 reference is the worst part of the irrelevant. Different sport, different level, just .... different.

FFS, Rich - you're on an officials board. Like you ALWAYS are. And yet you're shocked - shocked! I say - when the opinion runs against coaches. Like you ALWAYS are.

Since you want to point out the differences between coaches and officials, let's point out one that's relevant to the OP: officials usually are restricted from media access, while coaches are not. So they can talk to anyone that will listen about what the umpire "said." And it will be reported as fact, even when it's usually not. (And any retraction will end up in 6-pt font on page C-4 a week later.)

In short: waaah.

(And for those that want to cut the coach a break by saying that a reporter hears what (s)he wants: if the OP is correct, the coach was quoted. To me, that keeps the coach more on the hook, since quotes generally mean that's EXACTLY what he said.)
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Hmmmm....I think it's time for BACONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
The thing that annoys me with this entire situation is the fact that the player did something he should not have. In my judgement it was directed to me in an act of trying to show me up and warranted an ejection. Instead of looking at the issue of the player doing something inappropriate and fussing at him, I am portrayed as the bad guy in the overall picture. The player messed up and will now have to pay the consequences as far as I am concerned. Do not make excuses for him or try to blame others, he made a decision and will now have to live with it and he should have to pay the consequences and realize he did something he should not have. Instead though, it will probably be portrayed as "the mean umpire was wrong and you did nothing wrong. " What does the player learn from that?
I understand that frustration. Once I EJ'd a player for showing me up as you had. Coach came out at me, demanding to know what he said (and I could tell he was looking for something to use on me, not his player). First I tried to be vague. "He was arguing balls/strikes and did so in disrespectful manner". That didn't work. Next, "Coach, I'll tell you exactly what he said, but I'll take a dim view of any response that condones his behavior". Then I told him and then I listened. I don't recall EJ'g the coach (would probably remember if I did). If he says anything that indicates that I over-reacted, then he gets to sit in the dugout the rest of the game, or maybe the parking lot.