The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:36pm
Administrator

Umpire calls Time.

NFHS Rules (and NCAA and MLB too, but keep the rulings seperate).

Situation: Two outs; R3 on 1B; two strikes on B4 (the number of balls do not matter in this Situation). B4 swings and misses on a pitch in the dirt that F2 fields the pitch (catches the ball but by rule this is an uncaught third strike). PU (does not see the pitch hit the playing surface) signals a strike; then calls Time (), and then calls the B/R4 out. During this time R3 started to break for 2B and B/R4 started to run toward 1B.

What say you?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 11:33pm. Reason: Editorial changes in red.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

What did the fielders do? Not that it matters really because the play was over once he called time? hmmm
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

If PU didn't see the pitch hit the dirt, then it didn't hit the dirt.

Even in FED, if it gets reversed, then you can rectify the situation (so it's a likely out).
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:12pm
Medium Kahuna

What the heck is a B/R4?

Other than that, what Bob said. PU ruled it a catch and the B/R out. He's out. Finding out later that he missed it is conversation for post-game.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

The OP says that F2 "catches" the ball. So it didn't hit the ground. If it hit the ground, he didn't catch it.

I've got a batter out... and if my partner tells me it hit the ground, then "rectifying" the situation results in an out anyway.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NFHS Rules (and NCAA and MLB too, but keep the rulings seperate).

Situation: Two outs; R3 on 1B; two strikes on B4 (the number of balls do not matter in this Situation). B4 swings and misses on a pitch in the dirt that F2 catches. PU (does not see the pitch hit the playing surface) signals a strike; then calls Time (), and then calls the B/R4 out. During this time R3 started to break for 2B and B/R4 started to run toward 1B.

What say you?

MTD, Sr.
I say brain fart and damage control upcoming.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

I want to know what the heck is a B/R4?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashell View Post
I want to know what the heck is a B/R4?
B4 (the batter) became a batter/runner
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:06am
Official & ***** Member

I hope I live long enough to see FED adopt the nomenclature used by every other governing body in the baseball-playing world.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I hope I live long enough to see FED adopt the nomenclature used by every other governing body in the baseball-playing world.
You have a better chance to see every other governing body in the baseball-playing world adopt the FED nomenclature.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.;882074]NFHS Rules (and NCAA and MLB too, but keep the rulings seperate).

Situation: Two outs; R3 on 1B; two strikes on B4 (the number of balls do not matter in this Situation). B4 swings and misses on a pitch in the dirt that F2 fields the pitch (catches the ball but by rule this is an uncaught third strike). PU (does not see the pitch hit the playing surface) signals a strike; then calls Time (), and then calls the B/R4 out. During this time R3 started to break for 2B and B/R4 started to run toward 1B.

I agree with the majority but, please take this official aside and slap them on the side of the head. I can't recall in 30 years ever seeing an official call "Time out" after a 3rd out.

Of course, if this is one of those what if, the moon is in the seventh house, and jupiter aligns with mars questions, then it speaks for itself.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I can't recall in 30 years ever seeing an official call "Time out" after a 3rd out.
Actually, this is a good point. If you think about it, the only reason he has to call TIME at this moment is if he saw something else - some other reason to kill the play other than simply a catcher catching the 3rd strike of a 3rd out. So maybe our hypothetical umpire here did NOT fubar the situation - maybe there's just something the hypothetical observer did not see, that the umpire did.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 02:36pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Actually, this is a good point. If you think about it, the only reason he has to call TIME at this moment is if he saw something else - some other reason to kill the play other than simply a catcher catching the 3rd strike of a 3rd out. So maybe our hypothetical umpire here did NOT fubar the situation - maybe there's just something the hypothetical observer did not see, that the umpire did.
I'm trying to come up with something he might've seen at that particular moment that would've prompted killing play and ruling the batter out.

He signalled the Strike first, so he didn't see a batter contact a pitch while out of the batter's box.

Maybe he discovered after the swing that the batter was using an illegal bat?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker