The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lancerdad
Question

I call Little League 11 and 12 years olds on my own. Last night batter lays down nice bunt between F1 and F2. I follow R1 down the line F1 makes throw to F3 was kind of blocked out on play and called runner safe. It was one of those calls that you know you blew but had to stick with. Luckily R1 did not score so no effect on close game (4-1). After the game one of the coaches who has umped a little said I could get a better angle on that kind of call by drifting more towards second. I appreciate any help for this 2nd year rookie ump!

Thanks,

Lancerdad
Harrison Township, MI
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

They were right.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:02am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Your best bet, from what I have been taught, in a solo game is to get your arse out near the pitchers mound and then move from there.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely right.

Always exit your position from behind the plate to the LEFT of the catcher; he is on your right side now. AS YOU ARE MOVING, watch the ball be fielded. Keep moving out into the infield - towards the pitcher's mound is good, keeping the fielders, the ball, and the batter-runner on your right side. AS THE THROW IS MADE find yourself a spot with a view of 1st base, the runner, and the flight of the ball - you should have been moving towards that spot all along. STOP moving, get SET, and watch the ball reach the 1st baseman. Watch to see that the ball is actually caught/controlled. Make your call.

That training has got to be worth $0.50. E-mail it to me. Thanks!
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

What DTTB said.

I generally come out to the left and generally come up the line about 15 to 25 feet. I am positioned so that I am about half way between the first base line and the mound.

Seems to me to be about the right spot. Your mileage may vary...
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Kaliix-

That's exactly where I where I head to when I'm working by myself. The only time I won't is if I've got a ball down the first base line and i need to hold the line to make the fair foul call. Any other time, I come out left of the catcher and head up exactly where you said. Another question for everyone, while I'm fairly comfortable working 1 man for the most part, the biggest thing I have a problem with is the steal of and pick off at second base. Any suggestions?

-J
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
Kaliix-

That's exactly where I where I head to when I'm working by myself. The only time I won't is if I've got a ball down the first base line and i need to hold the line to make the fair foul call. Any other time, I come out left of the catcher and head up exactly where you said. Another question for everyone, while I'm fairly comfortable working 1 man for the most part, the biggest thing I have a problem with is the steal of and pick off at second base. Any suggestions?

-J
Givem whatcha got. On steal, benefit to defense, on pickoff, benefit to offense. Don't take any crap whatsoever on that call.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

The one ejection I had last year was an assistant *****ing about a steal at second with one umpire.

DO NOT TAKE ANY CRAP about that call.

Quote:
Kaliix-

-J
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I definately don't take anything on those calls. When I work our local league alone, I tell the coaches straight up at the plate conference that I'm alone, rules interpretation questions only. I will not tolerate any judgement questions period. If I didn't see it, I don't have a partner to go to and I'm not changing my call without new information (from someone other than them). Surprisingly, I've had very pleasant experiences with the coaches in this league. Even a guy who has gotten a reputation as a hothead with every other umpire doesn't normally question me too much. Now I'm just rambling off topic though so I'm done.

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
The one ejection I had last year was an assistant *****ing about a steal at second with one umpire.

DO NOT TAKE ANY CRAP about that call.

Quote:
Kaliix-

-J
On the few occassions where I have worked alone, and had a close play on a steal of 2B, and a coach who wanted to complain about it, I just put a big grin on, look directly at him, let out a half laugh and say "you are kidding, right!". His response determines whether he stays.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lancerdad
Lightbulb Thanks for all the replies! &1 more question

Thanks to all of you for all the replies. I have used the advice at the last 2 games and it is amazing how the change in angle helps in "seeing" the whole play.

Now the other issue regarding passed ball which happens alot in minors. R3 coming home F1 comes to cover plate gets there moments before throw from F2. F1 blocks out R3 sliding and tags. (I Call out) Couch cries interference. How do all you guys handle these kind of passed ball plays at the plate?

Thanks,

Lancerdad
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks for all the replies! &1 more question

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancerdad
Now the other issue regarding passed ball which happens alot in minors. R3 coming home F1 comes to cover plate gets there moments before throw from F2. F1 blocks out R3 sliding and tags. (I Call out) Couch cries interference. How do all you guys handle these kind of passed ball plays at the plate?
Don't listen to the coach. He obviously dosen't know what he is talking about when he asks for interference.

1st base line extended is probally the best spot to observe this play. If the throw is coming from first base line extended, you will have to adjust your position.