The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Ever have a hard time with OOB calls?

My last game was OK as far as my mechanics and calling violations and fouls, everything other than OOB calls anyhow. Seemed like every time I signaled direction and color, someone had a gripe about it. A few times they were probably right. Aside from pausing briefly before indicating possession and watching where the players start to move, anything I could do to keep this from happening? It seems to hit me every now and then. Maybe I was just getting more than my share of close calls. I don't mind going to the AP arrow on occassion, but not every time the ball lands OOB in my primary.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
My last game was OK as far as my mechanics and calling violations and fouls, everything other than OOB calls anyhow. Seemed like every time I signaled direction and color, someone had a gripe about it. A few times they were probably right. Aside from pausing briefly before indicating possession and watching where the players start to move, anything I could do to keep this from happening? It seems to hit me every now and then. Maybe I was just getting more than my share of close calls. I don't mind going to the AP arrow on occassion, but not every time the ball lands OOB in my primary.
Where are most of the calls coming from? I am assume you are getting one's as the lead, opposite side, end line? If you didn't see it maybe your partner can help. Pre-gaming this situation can help.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

When players a both near the ball those calls are going to be contested. Maybe you body language is not strong enough or you are not forceful in calling the close ones. I would not say I had problems calling these, but I have had many calls contested. Heck it is the nature of the best sometimes. But I have found when I sell a close call or indicate the number it went out on, and then I get less crap. But you are going to get crap from time to time. And I would never go to the AP arrow just to go there. I would really have to not have an idea to do that.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Do you mean in closely double-touched situations? As in, two opponents touching the ball near-simultaneous? For me, it happens more when I'm the Lead than when I am the Trail, and more in girls games than in boys. My theory is that first, Boys are able to jump higher and grab stronger than girls are. Secondly, this happens mostly during rebounds of a missed shot. So again, more as a Lead, more in girls games than in boys.

I know I just opened myself up for debates. I got a few minutes before i gotta get ready for my game tonight
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
When players a both near the ball those calls are going to be contested. Maybe you body language is not strong enough or you are not forceful in calling the close ones. I would not say I had problems calling these, but I have had many calls contested. Heck it is the nature of the best sometimes. But I have found when I sell a close call or indicate the number it went out on, and then I get less crap. But you are going to get crap from time to time. And I would never go to the AP arrow just to go there. I would really have to not have an idea to do that.

Peace
Going along with the "selling" point... I'm a loud referee when it comes to making calls. The closer the call is, the louder my voice and more forceful with my hand signal I am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's a mistake to watch the body language of the players. The onus is on you to make a decision, quickly and decisively. Sell it.

A close out of bounds is one of the toughest calls, IMO. We all kick one from time to time. Sell it and move on.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

As Jeff mentioned, body language is important. It's OK to 'take a picture' of what you saw before you make the call. If there is a second of hesitation, calmly, and with confidence, make your call as if it was a clear cut one that needs no embellishment. There are times to ''sell it' of course. I'm weak on OOB calls as lead and it happens bang, bang in front of me. I like to work deeper.

The arrow is the last thing I want to go with. If I'm lead and it goes out on my line, opposite side, and I'm not sure, I have no problem blowing, arm up looking to C for help.

If it's in front of me, and I'm not sure, I give it my best shot, coaches seem to be OK with it as long as you look confident and they figure you had the best look at it.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
We all kick one from time to time. Sell it and move on.
Agreed. The OOB call may be the easiest call of all to sell. It doesn't require a lot of "finger brushing", pointing or gyrating. Just clearly state a color and point. Nothing else is required.

Oh, except maybe getting the ball back in play quickly for all of those that weren't "sold."
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think it's a mistake to watch the body language of the players. The onus is on you to make a decision, quickly and decisively. Sell it.

A close out of bounds is one of the toughest calls, IMO. We all kick one from time to time. Sell it and move on.
I think you can use the players as a guide, but you should not rely on them to make what might be a close call. If everyone is heading in that direction and you are unsure, I have no problem if you make a call based on that. It is after all just one call and if everyone is convinced you are going in a certain direction, you can just go with that. But it also takes some art to do that and you cannot rely on this to always work. But then again I have also learned to not be too quick to point. I just blow the whistle and wait before I call the color, then point. But that took time to do that consistently.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think you can use the players as a guide, but you should not rely on them to make what might be a close call. If everyone is heading in that direction and you are unsure, I have no problem if you make a call based on that. It is after all just one call and if everyone is convinced you are going in a certain direction, you can just go with that. But it also takes some art to do that and you cannot rely on this to always work. But then again I have also learned to not be too quick to point. I just blow the whistle and wait before I call the color, then point. But that took time to do that consistently.

Peace
Good point. I should have qualified my statement a little more. If you're looking to the players with an expression that says "I have no idea, help me out guys", then you're going to have 5 guys pointing one way and 5 pointing the other way. Then what do you do?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Good point. I should have qualified my statement a little more. If you're looking to the players with an expression that says "I have no idea, help me out guys", then you're going to have 5 guys pointing one way and 5 pointing the other way. Then what do you do?
Have the captains arm wrestle for it.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Your partner should help you out then. I am just saying that if the play is "close" and all the players head in that direction, if you go in that direction (and you are unsure in the first place) no one is going to give you much crap if you go in the direction everyone thinks it should be going. And if you ultimately get it wrong, it is not the end of the world that happens from time to time. That ball has a funny way of bouncing from time to time.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Answer: Don't do that. Use the clues subtlely.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Answer: Don't do that. Use the clues subtlely.
Sometimes just the body language of the head down, shoulders slumped, or the pained look of a player involved will tip you off.

Additionally, in a thirty point blowout, if I'm guessing, you know who is getting the ball.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 04:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Additionally, in a thirty point blowout, if I'm guessing, you know who is getting the ball.
The squirrel?