The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I think I'm going to go with the "best" answer, not necessarily keep searching for the "correct" answer.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:08pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Because A says he must be tagged. Another answer says, paraphrasing, that Ifthe fielder had possession of the ball during the tag attempt the runner would be guilty of going outside of his 3` running lane. You can't have both of these answers as correct.
That's a mighty big word you're using there, pardner. Sounds like that is 99.9% of the law. It would be better if the runner ran through the fielder, and got an obstruction call (if that would apply in the rundown).
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
That's a mighty big word you're using there, pardner. Sounds like that is 99.9% of the law. It would be better if the runner ran through the fielder, and got an obstruction call (if that would apply in the rundown).
A - don't get what you're trying to get at.
B - you cannot get OBS if the runner was to run the fielder over since the fielder was in the act of fielding a thrown ball.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2013, 10:22pm
Veteran College Umpire

After finally watching the video several times and having the answers right in front of me, I'm going with "D".
I think the NCAA is trying to see if we'll get hung up on the "out of the baseline" bit, but since the fielder doesn't have the ball we can't call that. That leaves "he must be tagged" as the only way the defense can get him out. That makes "D" correct for me. FWIW.

JJ
Old Sun Feb 03, 2013, 05:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
A - don't get what you're trying to get at.
B - you cannot get OBS if the runner was to run the fielder over since the fielder was in the act of fielding a thrown ball.
A~IF the fielder has possession. From what I've gathered over the years, possession is 9/10ths of the law. The ball doesn't even have to be held in the glove if they attempt a tag with the glove, the runner has gone 3 ft. outside his running lane. They just have to have possession of the ball. Fielder touches runner with glove, you have a missed tag attempt. You run 3 ft. away on tag attempt with no in glove, you're out of the base path.

B~Most times it is just better to run at the fielder. You're in the line of the throw, and might get an obstruction call. That's why I wrote (if that would apply in the rundown). Why I put that part in parentheses.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Here is the NCAA's answer to this question (I had "C" and it was wrong. "D" is the correct answer). Nice going Dash, Bob, and the others who saw it as "D".

Question #4
Please select the best answer below that describes this situation.

a. This runner must be tagged to be out in this situation.

b. This runner is out of the baseline (more than three-feet around the fielder); therefore, is out if the fielder has caught the relay throw. The fielder must have possession of the relay throw and be preparing to tag a runner for the “being out of the baseline” provision to apply.

c. For the being “out of the baseline principle” to apply, the fielder must have secured the ball and be attempting a tag.

d. All of the above answers are correct.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 07:18am
Stop staring at me swan.

Yep, I agree. Nice job with that question fellas. I appreciate the guidance.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Here's another one from the test (I have omitted 2 answers that are obviously wrong):

R2, no outs, 1-2 count. The umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball prior to the 1-2 pitch.

a) The pitcher is ejected immediately.

b) Upon discovering that the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball, the plate umpire must not allow the pitcher to pitch. A warning is issued immediately.

Initially, I thought the answer should be b) because the rule calls for a one-time warning, but then I went to the Preseason Guide (where a bunch of the questions always come from). In the guide, there is a section entitled "Standards for Removal from the Game" which contains the following: "In addition, there are other situations that result in immediate ejections, such as a pitcher in possession of a foreign substance..."

So I answered a) and got it wrong. That just ain't fair.

I write the written test for my local (non-school) association. Here is one of the questions. Every once in a while, I throw in a ridiculous answer designed to give the test taker a chuckle and allow him to cross-off one of the possible answers. Nevertheless, I guarantee you someone will answer d.

Q: Slow ground ball to F5. It's going to be a whacker at 1st. The B/R completely misses 1st base. He is directly over the base when F3 (touching the base) catches F5's throw.

a. The B/R is out. No appeal is necessary.

b. The BU should make no call and wait for an appeal.

c. The BU should call the B/R safe but be prepared to call him out upon proper appeal.

d. The BU should scream "Safe - He's off the bag!" and sell the call by sweeping his arms away from the base.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Here's another one from the test (I have omitted 2 answers that are obviously wrong):

R2, no outs, 1-2 count. The umpire discovers the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball prior to the 1-2 pitch.

a) The pitcher is ejected immediately.

b) Upon discovering that the pitcher has applied a foreign substance to the ball, the plate umpire must not allow the pitcher to pitch. A warning is issued immediately.

Initially, I thought the answer should be b) because the rule calls for a one-time warning, but then I went to the Preseason Guide (where a bunch of the questions always come from). In the guide, there is a section entitled "Standards for Removal from the Game" which contains the following: "In addition, there are other situations that result in immediate ejections, such as a pitcher in possession of a foreign substance..."

So I answered a) and got it wrong. That just ain't fair.

I write the written test for my local (non-school) association. Here is one of the questions. Every once in a while, I throw in a ridiculous answer designed to give the test taker a chuckle and allow him to cross-off one of the possible answers. Nevertheless, I guarantee you someone will answer d.

Q: Slow ground ball to F5. It's going to be a whacker at 1st. The B/R completely misses 1st base. He is directly over the base when F3 (touching the base) catches F5's throw.

a. The B/R is out. No appeal is necessary.

b. The BU should make no call and wait for an appeal.

c. The BU should call the B/R safe but be prepared to call him out upon proper appeal.

d. The BU should scream "Safe - He's off the bag!" and sell the call by sweeping his arms away from the base.
Regarding the pitcher being discovered using a foreign substance, I too had the same answer you did: "The pitcher is ejected immediately" and I took my cue from the Study Guide 2013-2014. I believe I've seen MLB reports where an F1 (for example, Gaylord Perry) being ejected immediately upon discovery of a foreign substance on his hand or body/clothing. (As a side note, there were a few erroneous and conflicting (with NCAA) rulings/explanations in that guide. It actually had BESR as the legally required marking on the bat - pp. 42 & 43)!
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Regarding the pitcher being discovered using a foreign substance, I too had the same answer you did: "The pitcher is ejected immediately" and I took my cue from the Study Guide 2013-2014. I believe I've seen MLB reports where an F1 (for example, Gaylord Perry) being ejected immediately upon discovery of a foreign substance on his hand or body/clothing. (As a side note, there were a few erroneous and conflicting (with NCAA) rulings/explanations in that guide. It actually had BESR as the legally required marking on the bat - pp. 42 & 43)!
They are either careless, strongly averse to anyone scoring 100, or both.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Here's an NCAA question I got wrong and don't really understand why. I chose "C", but the answer given by the NCAA was "A". Does the NCAA think this is a batting out-of-order infraction. I took it as an illegal substitution. Even the NCAA justification seems to indicate that.

Question:

Larry is the DH for the pitcher. In the fourth inning, the coach decides to have the pitcher bat for himself. In the sixth inning, the coach decides to have Larry bat for the pitcher again. Before a pitch is thrown to Larry, the defense appeals.

a. Since the defense appealed before a pitch was thrown, the offensive team may replace Larry without penalty.

b. Once Larry is removed from the DH's role, he may subsequently return to the game but only as a pitcher.

c. Larry is called out and disqualified from the game.

d. Larry is ejected but is not called out. His substitute will assume Larry's position at the plate.

Explanation: 5-5j (1) & (3)
j. Should a withdrawn (disqualified) player re-enter the game:
(1) If on offense, whether as a batter or a runner, upon discovery by the
opposing team or an umpire, the player immediately shall be declared out
and disqualified from the game. If the player should score a run before the
discovery, an appeal must be made to the umpire-in-chief before the first
pitch to the next batter of either team. This appeal would invalidate the
action of the ineligible player;
(3) Any player for whom a withdrawn player substitutes may not re-enter the
game
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

So - did anyone ever figure out the purpose of the original question?

Hint: Obstruction before the runner reached first on a caught fly ball.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Here's an NCAA question I got wrong and don't really understand why. I chose "C", but the answer given by the NCAA was "A". Does the NCAA think this is a batting out-of-order infraction. I took it as an illegal substitution. Even the NCAA justification seems to indicate that.
I answered C as well. This has to be a brain fart/typo. They have the correct rule cite.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

I think we knew that. The problem was the last sentence didn't make any sense (in the real world). If it was just ignored, then the answer to the OP (ignore the OBS on a caught fly) was obvious.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

I didn't have that question so I don't know what the possible answers were. I would hope that one of the answers is: "The umpire shall call the obstruction when it happens, allow the play to continue, and call the batter out on the catch by F9."