The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

HP umpire positioning on bunt

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CLE@TEX: Rottino's bunt rolls into fair territory - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Is this what you want HP to do? It looks to me like HP is impeding BR's path to 1st.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 02:28pm
Stirrer of the Pot

And it looks to me like the BR failed to run it out when he should have. Why fault the PU for doing what he should, and that's get into position to judge fair/foul?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I see RB's point... you come up the line to get a better look, but I'm not sure that's EVER put me in front of the batter runner. I don't think I'm running directly up the line if I've passed the batter runner. I'm either staying behind him, or getting at least a couple of feet out of the way.

I don't think he ACTUALLY slowed him down any (at least not enough to actually matter), but if this play was a step closer, I can see a few coaches getting upset.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

If the BR had been running like he should have, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. The PU did his job correctly, followed the bunt up the line. The BR finally woke up and decided to run when the PU was already down the line towards 1B. If a coach was going to be upset, it should be at the BR, not the PU.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2012, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
If the BR had been running like he should have, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. The PU did his job correctly, followed the bunt up the line. The BR finally woke up and decided to run when the PU was already down the line towards 1B. If a coach was going to be upset, it should be at the BR, not the PU.
Probably true...

However - I believe one of the tenets of doing our jobs correctly is not affecting the play. Yes, there are mechanics and things we do - and those are designed with the idea in mind that we get the best look possible at what we need to see, without affecting the play. Despite the fact that the batter made a mistake by not running immediately, it's important that we stay out of the play.

Honestly, this is a once in a lifetime thing - but if it happens to me (now that I'm forewarned of the possibility), I hope I remember this and stay out of his way.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 15, 2012, 02:44pm
In Time Out

Working two man which is often the case with most, I doubt I would have been following the ball down that far.

Runner never really had a chance to really get out of the box because the bunted ball was high and inside. Batter was mostly trying to protect himself.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2012, 07:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

So, if the BR stays in the box because he feels the ball will stay foul, as we sometimes see in amateur play, we're supposed to also stay at home plate and possibly have to make a long-distance call?

I agree we should do our best never to affect play. But when a player gets lazy on us, why should we also become lazy? If a coach gets upset at me, I'll tell him I can't wait for his player to finally wake up.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Well, 2 things really.
1) You should be able to see this from home plate - you call 90% of your foul/fair balls from either your initial position behind the plate (no time to move at all) or the 1BL or 3BL extended (minimal time to move) - no reason you can't make this call from there.
2) If you DO feel the need to move down the line for a better look, the closer you get the more you can accurately make this call without being exactly on the foul line. 1 yard foul would not have hindered his judgement on this.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Well, 2 things really.
1) You should be able to see this from home plate - you call 90% of your foul/fair balls from either your initial position behind the plate (no time to move at all) or the 1BL or 3BL extended (minimal time to move) - no reason you can't make this call from there.
Until BR blocks your view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
2) If you DO feel the need to move down the line for a better look, the closer you get the more you can accurately make this call without being exactly on the foul line. 1 yard foul would not have hindered his judgement on this.
Unless the ball was touched on the edge of the line...
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 04:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Until BR blocks your view...
Or, as was the case in this play, F1 blocks it. F1 trailed the ball up the line, and that would have caused the PU some problems if he's on 1BLX.