Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dweezil24
Question

Hi everybody,

I'm a pretty new ump still learning the ropes. My church started a softball league in our neighborhood near Tucson, and I volunteered to study up and call the games along with one other guy. Needless to say, it's more difficult than I thought!

Question: When calling the bases, on a hit to the outfield, where is the best place to position yourself to see the runners hitting the bases? Infield grass? The normal position between 1st and 2nd? I've been staying between 1st and 2nd, but sometimes it's hard to see whether the runner actually hits the base or not from some angles.

I really appreciate this forum, it's taught me a lot. I'm sure I'll be posting here a lot with all my questions - every week something new seems to pop up that I've never anticipated!

Thanks,

--Doug (Rookie Blue)
Pathway Sports
http://www.pathwaysports.net
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
I am assuming that this is slow pitch. In this case your base positioning is rather simple. You are always between 1st and 2nd, typically bahind and off to one side of the 2nd baseman depending on his position. When the ball is hit into the outfield, you should come inside the diamond, turning to see the batter-runner touch first. From this position you now have the ball in front of you as well as any runners that you are responsible for.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dweezil24
Hi everybody,

I'm a pretty new ump still learning the ropes. My church started a softball league in our neighborhood near Tucson, and I volunteered to study up and call the games along with one other guy. Needless to say, it's more difficult than I thought!

Question: When calling the bases, on a hit to the outfield, where is the best place to position yourself to see the runners hitting the bases? Infield grass? The normal position between 1st and 2nd? I've been staying between 1st and 2nd, but sometimes it's hard to see whether the runner actually hits the base or not from some angles.

I really appreciate this forum, it's taught me a lot. I'm sure I'll be posting here a lot with all my questions - every week something new seems to pop up that I've never anticipated!

Thanks,

--Doug (Rookie Blue)
Pathway Sports
http://www.pathwaysports.net
Doug,
Even if things go waaaay off track (aka a third-world country play, where weird things happen), a good rule of thumb it to get into a position where you can see the ball, the runner(s) and the base(s). You can never have a play without the ball.

Hope Mt. Lemmon has decent snow. Any way you can send me a really good green chile burro?

Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Doug,

I would suggest attending a clinic. Here in Phoenix, ASA has several each year. I'm sure the ASA staff in Tucson also has regular clinics. You will meet great people and learn the right way to do things. Go Cats.

Paul B.

Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I always like it when a newbie wants to learn so welcome aboard to the world of umpiring.
I agree that finding an ASA clinic is the best way to learn. In Michigan, during the State clinics, there is a new umpires breakaway session. I assume many states have this as well. you will learn a ton during this.
If there is ASA softball around you, become an ASA umpire and if you do enjoy umpring, do some games for them.
If you don't want to spend the money on uniform and ASA just to do church games with friends then this is a great place to ask questions.

To answer your question....like already answered, button hook in so everything is in front of you. you'll be in good position to see second base and the play if there is one and can also get to third a lot easier if a solo batter/runner is going for third.

Take Care
and good luck
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dweezil24
Thanks for the input guys,

We did invite the ASA UIC for Tucson, Joe Robinson, and he came and did a one-day mini-clinic for anyone from our league who was interested. We had 8 or 9 guys show up and we all learned a lot, got a copy of the rulebook, etc. Definitely a good thing to have done.

I'm keeping my eyes open for more opportunities to learn in my area as well. I'm really enjoying myself so far!
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Doug...

Here in Phoenix we have the best school you are ever going to attend outside of an ASA advanced school. (It sounds cocky, but we work VERY hard for several months putting it together.) This year its scheduled for September. You can get the dates off the following website. http://www.3up3down.org. Its a great 2 day school and you will have a choice of SP, FP or both. Come see us.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

THE best school

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
Doug...

Here in Phoenix we have the best school you are ever going to attend outside of an ASA advanced school. (It sounds cocky, but we work VERY hard for several months putting it together.) This year its scheduled for September. You can get the dates off the following website. http://www.3up3down.org. Its a great 2 day school and you will have a choice of SP, FP or both. Come see us.
If you prefer rainier, cooler weather, the BEST school this year will be in Seattle on Feb. 17-19. We are doing a pilot program, combining a national school with a regional clinic. We will have at least five national staff members on hand. Reservations are limited to the first 200 applicants. You can get more information from http://www.smsua.com.