The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Get it Right --- The 1st Time!

This video is an argument I have with the new way of "board meeting umpiring".

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | COL@NYM: Collins ejected for disputing call - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

My view is get it right the first time, not after a "board meeting". We all know that you are supposed to move with the play, in this case a run down. My problem is I see way too many calls made only to result in a meeting, leading to a call reversal (most times the correct call) then an argument. If the correct call were made the 1st time, there would be no argument (most of the time)! Now, I am not referring to professional ball, I am seeing this happening way too many times in amateur ball. This "board meeting umpiring" needs to stop. We need to teach our rookies that the 1st call is the call that needs to be on the money and stop relying on the "board meeting".
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:06am
Do not give a damn!!

This has been my position for years.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:10am
Stop staring at me swan.

Many well-trained umpires will agree with you.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

All I can see are the dumbest garments since leisure suits.

HOLY CRAP! sometimes you just have to step back and look at how stupid those smocks look! I almost forget sometimes.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
All I can see are the dumbest garments since leisure suits.

HOLY CRAP! sometimes you just have to step back and look at how stupid those smocks look! I almost forget sometimes.
They look like three fat dentists.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
My problem is I see way too many calls made only to result in a meeting, leading to a call reversal (most times the correct call) then an argument.
My problem is that managers haven't adjusted to the idea that umpires can get together and fix mistakes.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:55pm
Stirrer of the Pot

On the other hand, too often people criticize umpires for NOT getting together to fix a call. Remember the backlash when Jim Joyce stuck to his guns last year?

Pro umpires miss calls, plain and simple. And with all the HD cameras and super slo-mo capabilities in today's game, they're probably more reluctant than in the past to not check with their partners and then learn on SportsCenter later that they blew it when they could have fixed it.

Who knows, maybe they're conducting more "board meetings" to counter the argument that more use of replay is needed in the game. After all, if they eventually get the call right after the pow-wow, they're showing that there's no need to check the video.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
My problem is that managers haven't adjusted to the idea that umpires can get together and fix mistakes.
All the more amazing when you remember it was their idea.

In reality, they only haven't adjusted when the decision goes against them. They love it when it goes their way.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
On the other hand, too often people criticize umpires for NOT getting together to fix a call. Remember the backlash when Jim Joyce stuck to his guns last year?
Is there any evidence that anyone saw something clearly different? If the backlash is from ignorance, then honestly who cares what folks had to say about that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Pro umpires miss calls, plain and simple. And with all the HD cameras and super slo-mo capabilities in today's game, they're probably more reluctant than in the past to not check with their partners and then learn on SportsCenter later that they blew it when they could have fixed it.

Who knows, maybe they're conducting more "board meetings" to counter the argument that more use of replay is needed in the game. After all, if they eventually get the call right after the pow-wow, they're showing that there's no need to check the video.
This is probably true, but it has filtered down to levels that have none of this. We have two man systems where coaches ask help from a partner on a play where they have other responsibilities. That is the part where I have a problem with this. The MLB has 4 umpires and most of us will never work a game with that many on the field in our career even if it is by accident. And even when they do this, they get a lot of plays wrong. Or it is so inconclusive that was the change even worth it in the first place.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think any umpire is thinking "Well, I'll make a quick call and if I screw it up my partner will bail me out." I'm sure this umpire in the above play thought he initially got it right. His movement with the play obviously could have been better.

Ultimately, they got it right without spending a lot of time doing so. Absent the managers argument, this took less than 30 seconds. No problem.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 02:16pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The MLB has 4 umpires and most of us will never work a game with that many on the field in our career even if it is by accident. And even when they do this, they get a lot of plays wrong.
Percentage-wise, they do NOT get "a lot" of plays wrong. It's just that the ones they do miss are highly visible.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Percentage-wise, they do NOT get "a lot" of plays wrong. It's just that the ones they do miss are highly visible.
I simply disagree. I remember a play that was overturned from a 1st Base Umpire on a play that was taking place at 3rd base. And there was no video to back them up. Now when I say they miss plays they overturn, I mean they do not have any evidence that they got it right. So if you cannot determine by angle that a play was right or wrong, then it is wrong to overturn IMO a judgment call. And once again, this silly thinking that everything needs a conference is what I have a problem with, not that you get obvious mistakes corrected. As the OP said, get it right the first time. And if guys cannot get it right the first time, then get someone else that will.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Give me a break here. It is so easy to watch a video and play God. Hell, we can be perfect almost, ALWAYS. U2 got blocked out. Not because he wasn't hustling but, because he got blocked out. What was he supposed to do, use his super-speed and go to 2BX and see the tag. Get real.

If you have never been blocked out, (this doesn't apply to Rut because he's perfect, always), then you don't do many games a year and you just aren't that good. So this doesn't apply to you. If you can't see the play do you call the runner out? No. Do you yell out "does anyone have a tag"? No. How about "Lets go to the video tape"? Hell no!

Whats your options after that besides thinking that the guys on the Officiating.com forum, aren't going to like this.

WHAT Are Your OPTIONS?

**iT Happens Gentlemen!

And if this is your Day job, chances are your going to see more **it then the professionals, on this forum.

Could have, Should have and Would have, aren't making the call for you here. So where does that leave you? Have a huddle? Call a friend? Eat the call?

I can't do that because the forum won't like it.

MLB pays these gentlemen to do what they want done, to get the call correct.

Discussions are good but, get over it, smell the coffee and see how you handle it in your next Pro game.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 10:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes you have to be perfect to question the ability of MLB umpires who in my opinion are the worst of all the major pro sports officials. Sorry, but every play does not need a conference and if it does it is time to find new people if they cannot get in position to make a basic call that is easy in 2 person mechanics. These guys have 4 guys and cannot get basic plays right. Sorry, that does not make me perfect to point that out. Stop being a baby because someone takes a point of view in opposition to your position.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 23, 2012, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes you have to be perfect to question the ability of MLB umpires who in my opinion are the worst of all the major pro sports officials. Sorry, but every play does not need a conference and if it does it is time to find new people if they cannot get in position to make a basic call that is easy in 2 person mechanics. These guys have 4 guys and cannot get basic plays right. Sorry, that does not make me perfect to point that out. Stop being a baby because someone takes a point of view in opposition to your position.

Peace
I, can't understand why the almighty, ever-knowing, worlds best, all around AMATEUR OFFICIAL would take time from his throne to even participate with the peasants of officiating in discussion. Maybe you should just pontificate daily on the forum and we can all be blessed and gracious for your words of knowledge being bestowed upon us.

Besides you usual pompus Bullcrap, what are your options when all else goes bad, allmighty official? When you find yourself in that situation, (theoritically of course), what advise do you give to the rookie to rectify it? Take out your ipad and email Rut? 50,0000+ fans waiting for a call, **it happens and What is the almighty going to do??

If you don't like my opinon, go back to the Basketball Forum, I am sure they are all huddled around their computers waiting for you to honor them with your knowledge.

Last edited by jicecone; Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 07:28am.