The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

infield fly rule question

Runners on 1st and 2nd 0 outs. Pop up to ss, umpire calls and signals "infield fly, batter is out". When are the runners "free"to advance" and do they need to tag up?

thanks. Basic question I know. Was at my sons game and it was called different than I thought. the case book and rules book dont mention this (at least I didnt find it)

Thanks
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbbcoach99 View Post
Runners on 1st and 2nd 0 outs. Pop up to ss, umpire calls and signals "infield fly, batter is out". When are the runners "free"to advance" and do they need to tag up?

thanks. Basic question I know. Was at my sons game and it was called different than I thought. the case book and rules book dont mention this (at least I didnt find it)

Thanks
Just like any other fly ball that may or not be caught. If fly ball is caught, the runner(s) can advance at their own risk after the ball is touched and the runner(s) has tagged the base at TOP. If the fly ball is not caught, the runner(s) may advance at any time at their own risk.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Search Infield fly rule

Quote:

Thanks
Run at your own risk, batter is out, if fair. Yes, if caught, runners must retouch before advancing to next base.

Allowing the ball to fall to the ground, before being touched does not remove IFR in effect.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 08:31pm.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
Assuming Official Baseball Rules: (I've highlighted the pertinent part.)

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted
bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder—not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if,
in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05(l).
The infield fly rule takes precedence.

No casebook needed. Basically, except for the fact that the batter is out regardless of whether or not the ball is caught, it is the same as any fly ball. So the runners can leave when they would on any fly ball.

They do not need to tag up unless the ball is caught. (But why would they advance?)

Rita
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Just like any other fly ball that may or not be caught. If fly ball is caught, the runner(s) can advance at their own risk after the ball is touched and the runner(s) has tagged the base at TOP. If the fly ball is not caught, the runner(s) may advance at any time at their own risk.
No No! The tag-up must be at (or after) the time the ball is touched by the fuielder.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Assuming Official Baseball Rules: (I've highlighted the pertinent part.)

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted
bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder—not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if,
in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05(l).
The infield fly rule takes precedence.

No casebook needed. Basically, except for the fact that the batter is out regardless of whether or not the ball is caught, it is the same as any fly ball. So the runners can leave when they would on any fly ball.

They do not need to tag up unless the ball is caught. (But why would they advance?)

Rita
I saw this situation 10 years ago in a state championship game in legion baseball and the communication between the umpires was HORIBLE. The batter popped up just off the infield grass and the infield fly was called so the batter out. Ball was not caught so the runners advanced and the ball was thrown to 2nd base. No tag was applied and the 2nd base ump(4 umpire system) called the runner out on the force play. Said runner gets up and is going back to the dugout thinking he is 2nd out when he is tagged and called out by the 3rd base umpire for the 3rd out and the game ends as it os nit eh bottom of the 11th inning and the team at bat was down 1 run. Because the umpires failed to communicate properly said team lost A CHANCE to tie the game with the next batter. Resulted in one of the longes and loudest rubahrbs I have ever heard at a baseball game. Losing team basically accused the umps of incompetence in failing to communicate and as a result we are being penalized because YOU(The umpires) screwed up. I was broadcasting this game and took me until the drive home to figure out the very very basics of what happened.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
I saw this situation 10 years ago in a state championship game in legion baseball and the communication between the umpires was HORIBLE. The batter popped up just off the infield grass and the infield fly was called so the batter out. Ball was not caught so the runners advanced and the ball was thrown to 2nd base. No tag was applied and the 2nd base ump(4 umpire system) called the runner out on the force play. Said runner gets up and is going back to the dugout thinking he is 2nd out when he is tagged and called out by the 3rd base umpire for the 3rd out and the game ends as it os nit eh bottom of the 11th inning and the team at bat was down 1 run. Because the umpires failed to communicate properly said team lost A CHANCE to tie the game with the next batter. Resulted in one of the longes and loudest rubahrbs I have ever heard at a baseball game. Losing team basically accused the umps of incompetence in failing to communicate and as a result we are being penalized because YOU(The umpires) screwed up. I was broadcasting this game and took me until the drive home to figure out the very very basics of what happened.
It looks as if a rule was not applied correctly. The offended manager should have protested. As much his fault as any ones.

Joel
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 06:19am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
No No! The tag-up must be at (or after) the time the ball is touched by the fuielder.
I'm sure he meant "tagged the base occupied at TOP."
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I'm sure he meant "tagged the base occupied at TOP."
Then he should have said it. There are many lurkers and we don't want them to misunderstand the rule now do we - they might yell bad things at you at a game if they don't.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
One runner getting called out twice? He must have been really, really out!

Seriously, though, FED rules explicitly allow the umpires to fix this, put everyone back, and continue the game. (10-2-3L)
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Then he should have said it. There are many lurkers and we don't want them to misunderstand the rule now do we - they might yell bad things at you at a game if they don't.
But if I correct someone's terminology, you tell me that I knew what they meant and to shut up. Can't have it both ways.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
But if I correct someone's terminology, you tell me that I knew what they meant and to shut up. Can't have it both ways.
Yes he can. He's a coach.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich being Rich
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
One runner getting called out twice? He must have been really, really out!

Seriously, though, FED rules explicitly allow the umpires to fix this, put everyone back, and continue the game. (10-2-3L)
We were playing OBR which is what legiuon ball uses. And yes the trhow beat him to the bag and the 2nd base ump ruled him out on the force not realiznig the infield fly had been called and the ball had dropped uncaught so the runner was advancing at his own risk. He wsan't tagged when he went into 2nd base. But not knowing the infield fly rule was called and thinking he was called out on the force is why he left the base. Personally, I think the umps knew they screwed the call up roally and were to embarassed to rectify the situation which would have meant admitting they kicked a very imprtant call at the worst possible time. Of course I could be wrong with the OBR.(Call happened in the bottom of the 11th innnig. Team at bat trailing 5-4 and 1 out when the situation occured. Infield fly was 2nd out and runner tagged out after thinking he was the 2nd out on the force was the 3rd out. This was also the championship game of the State tourney and it was winner take all as the tourney was(and still is) double elimination and both teams had 1 loss)
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wasn't the terminology he got wrong. It was the requirement. Significant difference.

YOU may know, or think you know, what he meant, but the lurkers will just see the wrong requirement. Not good.

You've been turing into a real something-or-other lately - feeling OK?