The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 131
This is ridiculous--Little Leaguer getting sued

Nonsense like this is destroying our country.

Woman Sues Little Leaguer for $150,000 after Being Hit by an Errant Ball | NewsFeed | TIME.com
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Disagree. Anybody can sue anybody. If the case isn't thrown out at pre-trial and goes to a jury, THAT will be cause for concern.

Now the husband has a case.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
I'm filing a class action lawsuit against the woman and her husband for wasting 5 minutes of my life reading the article and typing this response. Anyone want to join me?
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'”

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I'm filing a class action lawsuit against the woman and her husband for wasting 5 minutes of my life reading the article and typing this response. Anyone want to join me?
I'm in...But I'm dimwitted, it took me 7 minutes to read the article. I should get more money than you 5 minute readers

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:29pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
I going to sue and name the woman in the suit because I had to read about umpires whining about how long they spent reading the article.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Randolph, NJ
Posts: 1,936
Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'm not defending her lawsuit, just saying there's more to this than has been reported. As usual, the media has jumped on the story about a Little Leaguer being sued.

This woman received multiple fractures and reconstructive surgery. She hasn't been able to settle with her insurance company and was facing the deadline for filing a suit under NJ's personal injury law.

It's all just legal maneuvering.
__________________
I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I'm not defending her lawsuit, just saying there's more to this than has been reported. As usual, the media has jumped on the story about a Little Leaguer being sued.

This woman received multiple fractures and reconstructive surgery. She hasn't been able to settle with her insurance company and was facing the deadline for filing a suit under NJ's personal injury law.

It's all just legal maneuvering.
It might be maneuvering, but it's wrong. She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury, not going after the kid, his family, the league, the umpires, etc.

The insurance company would not be traumatized by the lawsuit, and it would not be frivolous or likely to be dismissed without a trial.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It might be maneuvering, but it's wrong. She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury, not going after the kid, his family, the league, the umpires, etc.

The insurance company would not be traumatized by the lawsuit, and it would not be frivolous or likely to be dismissed without a trial.
When you say "She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury" you simply have no clue as to what you're talking about. For starter's check out the difference between "First Person Coverage" (eg uninsured motorist, or Health Insurance coverage) and "Third Person Coverage" (eg your typical automobile or homeowners coverage).

Pray tell, Mr. Darrow, under what insurance policy is she going to "sue her insurance company"?

This kind of comment is no different than a Hawk Harrelson umpire rant
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:50pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
When you say "She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury" you simply have no clue as to what you're talking about. For starter's check out the difference between "First Person Coverage" (eg uninsured motorist, or Health Insurance coverage) and "Third Person Coverage" (eg your typical automobile or homeowners coverage).

Pray tell, Mr. Darrow, under what insurance policy is she going to "sue her insurance company"?

This kind of comment is no different than a Hawk Harrelson umpire rant
If her insurance company attempts to deny coverage for a covered injury, she would need to get an attorney.

Oh wait, that never happens anywhere. Never mind.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 06:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 131
The bottom line is the woman sued a CHILD. Any kind of explanation or justification is just plain wrong. Here's a quote from her lawyer. I'd be ashamed.

"He throws his best fast ball over the bullpen into the picnic area, striking my client in the face," Elizabeth Lloyd's attorney told the Press about the little league lawsuit, which she filed after attempts to settle with insurance companies failed.

This video is like a picture--worth a thousand words. Pay particular attention to the words they use in the lawsuit to describe how the CHILD "intentionally and recklessly assaulted her".

NJ woman hit with ball sues Little League player
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 07:21am
CT1 CT1 is offline
Official & ***** Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,049
I haven't read anywhere (other than waltjp's post) that the injured lady even had any health insurance. If she did, why is the insurance company not fulfilling their obligation to her? Is she claiming some outlandish amount for "pain and suffering"?

Regardless, unless she can prove gross negligence or willful intent, she doesn't have much of a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,458
In one of the stories I read about this, the lawyer did indeed state that the kid intentionally threw the ball at her, thus the suit.

So, we're not getting the whole story here. Was she a parent from the other team? Perhaps she was a loudmouth, and the kid let one "slip" in her general direction. There's something missing here.

And I know some folks think it's heartless to sue a kid, but they're actually suing the folks reasponsible for the kid. His parents (and their homeowners insurance.) are the ones they're going after.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I'm not defending her lawsuit, just saying there's more to this than has been reported. As usual, the media has jumped on the story about a Little Leaguer being sued.

This woman received multiple fractures and reconstructive surgery. She hasn't been able to settle with her insurance company and was facing the deadline for filing a suit under NJ's personal injury law.

It's all just legal maneuvering.

Why should I believe what you say...provide the link to the other side of the story. Or are you the husband who is also suing for "for the loss of ”services, society and consortium" LOL!

There are a lot of people who make a good living filing personal injury lawsuits. These two sound like the type.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:17am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
Why should I believe what you say...provide the link to the other side of the story. Or are you the husband who is also suing for "for the loss of ”services, society and consortium" LOL!

There are a lot of people who make a good living filing personal injury lawsuits. These two sound like the type.
Sure, it sounds like it, given what we've read and know about how this stuff happens. I would also add that very rarely are these things as bad as they first come across.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that it gets tossed, but I also wouldn't be surprised to find that this kid purposefully nailed her with a fast ball. It's not like we've never known a kid that age to do something stupid that could have caused injury.

I'm 95% sure this is a stupid lawsuit, but there's always a chance.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Pray tell, Mr. Darrow, under what insurance policy is she going to "sue her insurance company"?
Breach of contract. Don't need that or another policy to be able to do that.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG - local ref gets sued on People's Court Mark Padgett Basketball 15 Fri Jul 12, 2013 03:47pm
OT - NCAA sued by AAU coach Mark Padgett Basketball 2 Mon Mar 14, 2011 07:24pm
Ridiculous Legislation BigUmp56 Baseball 18 Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:21pm
Ridiculous Shot bwbuddy Basketball 8 Thu Dec 23, 2004 03:22am
Coach sued for $1.5M after child does not make V Rookie Basketball 11 Fri Dec 14, 2001 07:50am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1