The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is ridiculous--Little Leaguer getting sued

Nonsense like this is destroying our country.

Woman Sues Little Leaguer for $150,000 after Being Hit by an Errant Ball | NewsFeed | TIME.com
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Disagree. Anybody can sue anybody. If the case isn't thrown out at pre-trial and goes to a jury, THAT will be cause for concern.

Now the husband has a case.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm filing a class action lawsuit against the woman and her husband for wasting 5 minutes of my life reading the article and typing this response. Anyone want to join me?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I'm filing a class action lawsuit against the woman and her husband for wasting 5 minutes of my life reading the article and typing this response. Anyone want to join me?
I'm in...But I'm dimwitted, it took me 7 minutes to read the article. I should get more money than you 5 minute readers

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 05:29pm

I going to sue and name the woman in the suit because I had to read about umpires whining about how long they spent reading the article.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'm not defending her lawsuit, just saying there's more to this than has been reported. As usual, the media has jumped on the story about a Little Leaguer being sued.

This woman received multiple fractures and reconstructive surgery. She hasn't been able to settle with her insurance company and was facing the deadline for filing a suit under NJ's personal injury law.

It's all just legal maneuvering.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I'm not defending her lawsuit, just saying there's more to this than has been reported. As usual, the media has jumped on the story about a Little Leaguer being sued.

This woman received multiple fractures and reconstructive surgery. She hasn't been able to settle with her insurance company and was facing the deadline for filing a suit under NJ's personal injury law.

It might be maneuvering, but it's wrong. She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury, not going after the kid, his family, the league, the umpires, etc.

The insurance company would not be traumatized by the lawsuit, and it would not be frivolous or likely to be dismissed without a trial.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It might be maneuvering, but it's wrong. She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury, not going after the kid, his family, the league, the umpires, etc.

The insurance company would not be traumatized by the lawsuit, and it would not be frivolous or likely to be dismissed without a trial.
When you say "She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury" you simply have no clue as to what you're talking about. For starter's check out the difference between "First Person Coverage" (eg uninsured motorist, or Health Insurance coverage) and "Third Person Coverage" (eg your typical automobile or homeowners coverage).

Pray tell, Mr. Darrow, under what insurance policy is she going to "sue her insurance company"?

This kind of comment is no different than a Hawk Harrelson umpire rant
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
When you say "She should be suing her insurance company for a covered injury" you simply have no clue as to what you're talking about. For starter's check out the difference between "First Person Coverage" (eg uninsured motorist, or Health Insurance coverage) and "Third Person Coverage" (eg your typical automobile or homeowners coverage).

Pray tell, Mr. Darrow, under what insurance policy is she going to "sue her insurance company"?

This kind of comment is no different than a Hawk Harrelson umpire rant
If her insurance company attempts to deny coverage for a covered injury, she would need to get an attorney.

Oh wait, that never happens anywhere. Never mind.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

The bottom line is the woman sued a CHILD. Any kind of explanation or justification is just plain wrong. Here's a quote from her lawyer. I'd be ashamed.

"He throws his best fast ball over the bullpen into the picnic area, striking my client in the face," Elizabeth Lloyd's attorney told the Press about the little league lawsuit, which she filed after attempts to settle with insurance companies failed.

This video is like a picture--worth a thousand words. Pay particular attention to the words they use in the lawsuit to describe how the CHILD "intentionally and recklessly assaulted her".

NJ woman hit with ball sues Little League player
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 07:21am
Official & ***** Member

I haven't read anywhere (other than waltjp's post) that the injured lady even had any health insurance. If she did, why is the insurance company not fulfilling their obligation to her? Is she claiming some outlandish amount for "pain and suffering"?

Regardless, unless she can prove gross negligence or willful intent, she doesn't have much of a chance.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

In one of the stories I read about this, the lawyer did indeed state that the kid intentionally threw the ball at her, thus the suit.

So, we're not getting the whole story here. Was she a parent from the other team? Perhaps she was a loudmouth, and the kid let one "slip" in her general direction. There's something missing here.

And I know some folks think it's heartless to sue a kid, but they're actually suing the folks reasponsible for the kid. His parents (and their homeowners insurance.) are the ones they're going after.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post

Why should I believe what you say...provide the link to the other side of the story. Or are you the husband who is also suing for "for the loss of ”services, society and consortium" LOL!

There are a lot of people who make a good living filing personal injury lawsuits. These two sound like the type.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileonardoja View Post
Why should I believe what you say...provide the link to the other side of the story. Or are you the husband who is also suing for "for the loss of ”services, society and consortium" LOL!

There are a lot of people who make a good living filing personal injury lawsuits. These two sound like the type.
Sure, it sounds like it, given what we've read and know about how this stuff happens. I would also add that very rarely are these things as bad as they first come across.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that it gets tossed, but I also wouldn't be surprised to find that this kid purposefully nailed her with a fast ball. It's not like we've never known a kid that age to do something stupid that could have caused injury.

I'm 95% sure this is a stupid lawsuit, but there's always a chance.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
Breach of contract. Don't need that or another policy to be able to do that.