The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Next thing you know, we will be sued for making a call, giving a T, disallowing a game winning basket, etc...

Player's parent sues coach
Logan's Chong is hit with a $1.5 million suit for sending Rubin to JVs

Sports digest
TIMES WIRE SERVICES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNION CITY -- The father of a James Logan High School sophomore seeks $1.5 million in damages and the dismissal of the school's basketball coach after his son didn't make the varsity.

Lynn Rubin sued the New Haven Unified School District on Nov. 27 because his son, Jawaan, was told to return to the junior varsity after being asked to try out for varsity.

The family had rearranged its schedules to accommodate the varsity team's practice times, the suit said.

Coach Blake Chong, who cited a policy limiting sophomores to JV when he cut Jawaan Rubin, didn't consult with the parents before cutting their son, according to the suit. After Jawaan confronted Chong about the decision, he was dropped from the JV team, the suit said.

Chong refused comment Monday.

Rubin's older son, Janou, starred under Chong at James Logan and is a sophomore guard at UCLA. The father said he calculated the damages based on potential wages lost from his son's possible pro career.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Next thing you know, we'll have to "consult the parents" before we call a kid for travelling - it could hurt his feelings, you know.

If the kid isn't good enough to make varsity, he's not going to have a chance in the pros.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
If the kid isn't good enough to make varsity, he's not going to have a chance in the pros.
Reminds me of a kid from Wilmingtion, NC, about an hour from where I live, that got cut when tried out for the varsity as a sophomore.

As I recall, he won an NCAA Championship, the College Player of the Year award twice, 2 Gold Medals, played on 10 All-Star teams, won 3 All-Star Game MVP awards, 5 NBA MVP awards, and 6 NBA Championships and 6 NBA Finals MVP awards in the 90's!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Reminds me of a kid from Wilmingtion, NC, about an hour from where I live, that got cut when tried out for the varsity as a sophomore.

As I recall, he won an NCAA Championship, the College Player of the Year award twice, 2 Gold Medals, played on 10 All-Star teams, won 3 All-Star Game MVP awards, 5 NBA MVP awards, and 6 NBA Championships and 6 NBA Finals MVP awards in the 90's!
Yeah, but it turned out he's a sh1tty baseball player,
didn't it!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Yeah, but it turned out he's a sh1tty baseball player,
didn't it!
Sounds like a Knicks fan to me!

I guess but he was still probably better than 99% of the population.

Made him a better basketball player, too.

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

And for every MJ there are tens of thousands washing cars and flipping burgers.

Dad should be worried about his sons schooling.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

No doubt. I was just commenting on Mark's comment. Somewhat ironic, I thought.

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately that guy who grew up an hour from where you lives came out of retirement and now plays home games about 10 minutes from where I live.

Shoulda never gotten back on the court . . .
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Jury is still out on that one my friend. I am a DC area guy myself, and I will wait this out before I pass judgment. And although the stats may not be what they used to be, I believe he's at least in the upper 1/3 of the NBA already. Does that mean that the other 2/3s should take a seat with Mike? CONTRACTION!!! I can see it now.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wizards win their 4th straight!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:

Jury is still out on that one my friend. I am a DC area guy myself, and I will wait this out before I pass judgment. And although the stats may not be what they used to be, I believe he's at least in the upper 1/3 of the NBA already. Does that mean that the other 2/3s should take a seat with Mike? CONTRACTION!!! I can see it now.
Agreed. At this point, he's not the best player in the league but he's definitely in the top 10. The stats are down because of the players he's playing with. Other teams are focusing on him and there's not much help. If I had to win one game and could pick my own linelup, he'd still be the first player that I would pick.

Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 08:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Quote:

I recall receiving an e-mail where it mentions that MJ still pays $8 to see a movie, but earns $20,000 while watching it. It goes on to give other similar examples. At the end it says that MJ would have to work 365 days a year for 271 years to earn what Bill Gates is worth. (The #s may be wrong, but you get the idea.) The point: it pays to be a geek. Stay in school. You have a better chance. (But don't get me wrong - I am a computer guy, but I prefer Linux to MS.)

..Mike
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I also prefer Linux to MS, but my favorite is Snoopy. My bad, guess I should put my glasses on.