The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

interference

Runners of first and second, major league rules with a RH in the box. Ground ball to the SS. As the runner is crossing in front of SS about 1-2 feet in front, SS hesitates as he goes to circles ball because the runner was crossing in front of him. The hesitation caused the SS to boot the ball and head into CF. I immediately call the runner on his way to third out for interference and place the other runners. Correct or incorrect?
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Youth - probably

Shaving age - non pro - Possibly

Pro - Probably not.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Nope and Not-nope
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

It's a little difficult to know from your description, but if the runner was occupying space the fielder needed to field the ball (you say 1-2 feet, which is pretty tight), so that the fielder was delayed getting to where he needed and was trying to be, then I've got a hindrance and INT (at any level).

Although I agree that fielders at lower levels are more easily hindered, IMO many umpires give the runner a pass on this play. They'll say "he was just running and did nothing unusual to shield the fielder." But the fielder has the right of way on a batted ball, and the runner must give way. In addition to intentional interference, he can be guilty of negligent interference on a batted ball.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mbyron;845775]It's a little difficult to know from your description, but if the runner was occupying space the fielder needed to field the ball (you say 1-2 feet, which is pretty tight), so that the fielder was delayed getting to where he needed and was trying to be, then I've got a hindrance and INT (at any level).

I agree. If in your judgement runner blocks SS from getting to the ball (causing him to hesitate by not yielding the space), SS is out for interference. Fielder has the right to the baseline.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Can't make this call on the Internet because there is too much left out of the OP. All I can say is in all my years of umpiring, I probably called this (R1 interfering with F4) maybe 3 times at most. All 3 times there was no doubt that there was either contact or absolute interference on the part of the runner. Many coaches have called for it, asked for it even begged for it but I rarely called it because in most cases, parties are doing exactly what they should be doing. Add to that, I usually only deal with players who shave and either date or are married.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Can't make this call on the Internet because there is too much left out of the OP. All I can say is in all my years of umpiring, I probably called this (R1 interfering with F4) maybe 3 times at most. All 3 times there was no doubt that there was either contact or absolute interference on the part of the runner. Many coaches have called for it, asked for it even begged for it but I rarely called it because in most cases, parties are doing exactly what they should be doing. Add to that, I usually only deal with players who shave and either date or are married.
Does that 'shave or date' thing count in girls softball too?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the24kid View Post
Runners of first and second, major league rules with a RH in the box. Ground ball to the SS. As the runner is crossing in front of SS about 1-2 feet in front, SS hesitates as he goes to circles ball because the runner was crossing in front of him. The hesitation caused the SS to boot the ball and head into CF. I immediately call the runner on his way to third out for interference and place the other runners. Correct or incorrect?
So SS gave up the right of way to the ball to allow runner to pass, don't see that very often. I got a no call on this, at any age group. If SS will just go after the ball and draw contact we can get an INT on this.

Last edited by DG; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:45pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
So SS gave up the right of way to the ball to allow runner to pass, don't see that very often. I got a no call on this, at any age group. If SS will just go after the ball and draw contact we can get an INT on this.
Contact is not required. If the runner is in the space needed by the fielder or hinders his play on the ball in any way, that's INT.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Ah. NOW I know who the coaches are referring to when they say, "But blue, the umpires last time didn't call that".

This is INT at every age group.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Does that 'shave or date' thing count in girls softball too?
lol!
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Ah. NOW I know who the coaches are referring to when they say, "But blue, the umpires last time didn't call that".
Ha! Much better than my response.