The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   interference (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91701-interference.html)

the24kid Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50pm

interference

Runners of first and second, major league rules with a RH in the box. Ground ball to the SS. As the runner is crossing in front of SS about 1-2 feet in front, SS hesitates as he goes to circles ball because the runner was crossing in front of him. The hesitation caused the SS to boot the ball and head into CF. I immediately call the runner on his way to third out for interference and place the other runners. Correct or incorrect?

Rich Ives Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15pm

Youth - probably

Shaving age - non pro - Possibly

Pro - Probably not.

BSUmp16 Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:42pm

Nope and Not-nope

mbyron Wed Jun 13, 2012 06:04am

It's a little difficult to know from your description, but if the runner was occupying space the fielder needed to field the ball (you say 1-2 feet, which is pretty tight), so that the fielder was delayed getting to where he needed and was trying to be, then I've got a hindrance and INT (at any level).

Although I agree that fielders at lower levels are more easily hindered, IMO many umpires give the runner a pass on this play. They'll say "he was just running and did nothing unusual to shield the fielder." But the fielder has the right of way on a batted ball, and the runner must give way. In addition to intentional interference, he can be guilty of negligent interference on a batted ball.

WWUmp Wed Jun 13, 2012 04:23pm

[QUOTE=mbyron;845775]It's a little difficult to know from your description, but if the runner was occupying space the fielder needed to field the ball (you say 1-2 feet, which is pretty tight), so that the fielder was delayed getting to where he needed and was trying to be, then I've got a hindrance and INT (at any level).

I agree. If in your judgement runner blocks SS from getting to the ball (causing him to hesitate by not yielding the space), SS is out for interference. Fielder has the right to the baseline.

ozzy6900 Wed Jun 13, 2012 06:35pm

Can't make this call on the Internet because there is too much left out of the OP. All I can say is in all my years of umpiring, I probably called this (R1 interfering with F4) maybe 3 times at most. All 3 times there was no doubt that there was either contact or absolute interference on the part of the runner. Many coaches have called for it, asked for it even begged for it but I rarely called it because in most cases, parties are doing exactly what they should be doing. Add to that, I usually only deal with players who shave and either date or are married.

RPatrino Wed Jun 13, 2012 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 845881)
Can't make this call on the Internet because there is too much left out of the OP. All I can say is in all my years of umpiring, I probably called this (R1 interfering with F4) maybe 3 times at most. All 3 times there was no doubt that there was either contact or absolute interference on the part of the runner. Many coaches have called for it, asked for it even begged for it but I rarely called it because in most cases, parties are doing exactly what they should be doing. Add to that, I usually only deal with players who shave and either date or are married.

Does that 'shave or date' thing count in girls softball too?

DG Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by the24kid (Post 845754)
Runners of first and second, major league rules with a RH in the box. Ground ball to the SS. As the runner is crossing in front of SS about 1-2 feet in front, SS hesitates as he goes to circles ball because the runner was crossing in front of him. The hesitation caused the SS to boot the ball and head into CF. I immediately call the runner on his way to third out for interference and place the other runners. Correct or incorrect?

So SS gave up the right of way to the ball to allow runner to pass, don't see that very often. I got a no call on this, at any age group. If SS will just go after the ball and draw contact we can get an INT on this.

mbyron Wed Jun 13, 2012 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 845904)
So SS gave up the right of way to the ball to allow runner to pass, don't see that very often. I got a no call on this, at any age group. If SS will just go after the ball and draw contact we can get an INT on this.

Contact is not required. If the runner is in the space needed by the fielder or hinders his play on the ball in any way, that's INT.

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 14, 2012 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 845904)

Ah. NOW I know who the coaches are referring to when they say, "But blue, the umpires last time didn't call that".

This is INT at every age group.

ozzy6900 Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 845896)
Does that 'shave or date' thing count in girls softball too?

lol!

mbyron Thu Jun 14, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 845949)
Ah. NOW I know who the coaches are referring to when they say, "But blue, the umpires last time didn't call that".

Ha! Much better than my response.