The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

No Win Situation??

Situation: Only umpire (first problem). 2 outs, R2 and batter hits a line drive to the gap in left centre. I move into P15 position to start to watch the play and see both runners touch third and first. The BR is trying to stretch the hit into a double which draws a very good throw from the left fielder. I couldn't move behind the plate because the pitcher was standing on his mound (second problem because that is not where he is suppose to go in that situation) to watch the timing of when R2 touches the plate to the tag at second.

As a result of the pitcher's position, I'm up the line a bit to make the call at second, (an out of course ) then immediately turn to see where R2 is to see whether he touched the plate before the third out. I really couldn't tell, it was extremely close.

I made the decision since I couldn't say with certainty that the run scored that it wouldn't count. Of course the offense complained that the runner had touched before the out but I stayed with my call.

What did I do wrong, (besides agreeing to be the only umpire) and what should I have done?
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Just call BR safe at 2B and blame F1 for blocking your view.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Maybe its a Canadian thing, but what is P15?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Maybe its a Canadian thing, but what is P15?
P15 is about 10 feet up the third base line in foul territory. Basically its a position where you are suppose to stand unless you have only one play you need to watch.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
P15 is about 10 feet up the third base line in foul territory. Basically its a position where you are suppose to stand unless you have only one play you need to watch.
Sounds like the library.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation: Only umpire (first problem). 2 outs, R2 and batter hits a line drive to the gap in left centre. I move into P15 position to start to watch the play and see both runners touch third and first. The BR is trying to stretch the hit into a double which draws a very good throw from the left fielder. I couldn't move behind the plate because the pitcher was standing on his mound (second problem because that is not where he is suppose to go in that situation) to watch the timing of when R2 touches the plate to the tag at second.

As a result of the pitcher's position, I'm up the line a bit to make the call at second, (an out of course ) then immediately turn to see where R2 is to see whether he touched the plate before the third out. I really couldn't tell, it was extremely close.

I made the decision since I couldn't say with certainty that the run scored that it wouldn't count. Of course the offense complained that the runner had touched before the out but I stayed with my call.

What did I do wrong, (besides agreeing to be the only umpire) and what should I have done?
When you are alone, your priorities change a little. First, you must know the status of the ball then your focus has to shift to the lead runner. He is your primary concern, now. Once the lead runner has scored or stopped, you can change your focus to the trailing runner/s. The only other solution is to have a minimum of 2 umpires.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
When you are alone, your priorities change a little. First, you must know the status of the ball then your focus has to shift to the lead runner. He is your primary concern, now. Once the lead runner has scored or stopped, you can change your focus to the trailing runner/s. The only other solution is to have a minimum of 2 umpires.
I know I asked but this seems like a situation ripe for an arguement. I'm standing at home plate watching the runner touch the plate and then taking a couple of steps down the third base line around the pitcher to make a call at second......guarantee the defensive coach is asking me why I'm not in position to call the play where the ball is.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

With one umpire, stress angle over distance. If you have multiple runners, widen your position, especially when you notice two events are going to happen at nearly the same time (and especially with 2 outs). In the situation you describe, back up. Make sure the secondary event is in your peripheral vision when ruling on the primary event.

And if they complain - tell them to hire another freaking umpire.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:00am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
And if they complain - tell them to hire another freaking umpire.
+Infinity

Can't remember who I got this line from, but it was someone on this board:
"Coach, that's a $50 (or $45, or $70, or whatever an umpire gets paid in the game you're working) call"

I used that line on a coach when he claimed that I missed a pulled foot on a play at 1st (the foot, if pulled, was behind 1B, which is why I couldn't see if it was pulled or not).

Coach: "He pulled his foot!"
Me: "Coach, that's a $73 call."
Coach: "You've been practicing that line, haven't you?"
Me: "It's not a line, coach. It's the truth."
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheump View Post
+infinity

can't remember who i got this line from, but it was someone on this board:
"coach, that's a $50 (or $45, or $70, or whatever an umpire gets paid in the game you're working) call"

i used that line on a coach when he claimed that i missed a pulled foot on a play at 1st (the foot, if pulled, was behind 1b, which is why i couldn't see if it was pulled or not).

Coach: "he pulled his foot!"
me: "coach, that's a $73 call."
coach: "you've been practicing that line, haven't you?"
me: "it's not a line, coach. It's the truth."
me: "at least somebody around here has been practicing."

fify.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Coach: you should practice more, you just missed him pull his foot!
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
When working solo, P15 is about P10 too far up the 3rd baseline, IMHO.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

You guys make this way too difficult. I just always ask Charley for help on the call.

Oops, Charlies not working tonight, Sorry Coach.