The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Pitcher Injured During Warmups

FED rules. New pitcher is warming up between innings (started the game at shortstop). Twists ankle on warm up delivery and cannot continue as pitcher. Is taken out of game. When his turn comes up again on offense coach tries to re-enter him into the game but is told he cannot due to his leaving earlier due to injury. Coach tries to protest but it is not allowed in California High School Playoffs.

I know the rule says a player who comes into the game to pitch and cannot complete his first batter due to injury may not return as a pitcher, is their another rule I am missing that prevents him from returning to the game at all?
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish7694 View Post
FED rules. New pitcher is warming up between innings (started the game at shortstop). Twists ankle on warm up delivery and cannot continue as pitcher. Is taken out of game. When his turn comes up again on offense coach tries to re-enter him into the game but is told he cannot due to his leaving earlier due to injury. Coach tries to protest but it is not allowed in California High School Playoffs.

I know the rule says a player who comes into the game to pitch and cannot complete his first batter due to injury may not return as a pitcher, is their another rule I am missing that prevents him from returning to the game at all?
I can't find one other than 3-1-2 which allows return except as pitcher. You are missing umpires who know the rules.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

The substitution rules in general do not distinguish players based on position. All starters have re-entry privileges, including the one you describe.

As you say, a pitcher who is removed without facing a batter may return to the game but may not return to pitch. Sounds as if the umpires might have confused this restriction on returning to pitch with the re-entry rules.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish7694 View Post

You would think that umpires chosen for Playoff Games would know the rules! You are supposed to put your best out there at this time of the year.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Maybe the OP can tell us if California has some state restriction such as LL does where if medical personnel are available their approval is needed for the player to reenter the game?
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Maybe the OP can tell us if California has some state restriction such as LL does where if medical personnel are available their approval is needed for the player to reenter the game?
LL only has that in the tournament.

And it means that if there is a dispute the meds get to decide.
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Only medical restriction in California is for a suspected concussion, which was not the case in this situation.