The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction vs. Fielder's right to the ball

This one I imagine is pretty straightforward for you guys. Just wanted your thoughts. R1 and R2 on base. Infielders were playing deep. Batter hits a slow ground ball headed straight toward short-stop area. F1 and F6 both charged for the ball. F1 got to the ball and threw it to 3rd base for the force out. At the same time, R2 had to loop around F6 who was charging for the ball as well and entered the baseline at the moment R2 was running toward third. Is that obstruction? F6 was indeed breaking for the ball, but F1 got to it before him. The call on the field was obstruction, and the runner was awarded the base. Thanks in advance.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

For OBR based games, you're going to protect one defensive player against OBS. Since F1 gloved it, it's pretty clear who you'll protect. So, F6 is going to be guilty of type b obstruction, and the ball remains live.

Now, the question is, because this is not an automatic award, would the runner have any chance to get to third without the OBS? If so, then award the base. Judgement call. But if the umpire said it was an automatic award, that would be grounds for a protest.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input. This happened in a Little League game (Minor Division). From what I recall, the runner had no shot at making it to third safely. But, like you said, that's a judgement call. I appreciate the input.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction should always be called when it happens, no matter the circumstance.

It's not an easy call to make, especially with most umpires working at the LL minors level. OBS and INT are tricky, and it takes experience to make that call in the less than 2 second window you have to call it.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
it takes experience to make that call in the less than 2 second window you have to call it.
And that is why umpires have my respect, and I keep my mouth shut. As per usual, the coaches in our league are all parents, and, amazingly, we get along pretty well. We just make mental notes of those type plays and debate them at the picnic table among ourselves after the games (away from the kids). We usually have about one call per week like that to give us something to discuss.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I actually enjoy working minors games because of all the interesting calls you get to make. You might get 5-6 OBS calls per game with the little guys, and not see one for a month with HS aged kids. Working the little guy games keeps me sharper.
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For OBR based games, you're going to protect one defensive player against OBS. Since F1 gloved it, it's pretty clear who you'll protect. So, F6 is going to be guilty of type b obstruction, and the ball remains live.

Now, the question is, because this is not an automatic award, would the runner have any chance to get to third without the OBS? If so, then award the base. Judgement call. But if the umpire said it was an automatic award, that would be grounds for a protest.
Actually, with R1 and R2, R2 has no where else to go. If he was obstructed, the award of third IS automatic.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to the OP, the play went to 3B, and R2 was the obstructed runner. Why isn't that type A, with an immediate dead ball and an automatic award?