The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

6.2.2 C - taking too much time

Fed game yesterday. I am HP. Pitcher is struggling to throw strikes. Starts taking FOREVER to pitch the ball. After saying a couple times, "hey guys, lets speed things up a bit" pitcher is still slow. I start visually counting (like a basketball ref) and the pitcher takes the hint and starts working faster.

My question is, if I had needed to issue a 1 ball penalty for taking more than 20 seconds to deliver the ball, what is the proper procedure to do this? Do you call time (kinda defeats the purpose of trying to speed up the game)? Do you let the pitcher remain on the rubber? Exactly how do I do this should I ever have cause to do it?
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Calling time seems like a reasonable thing to do as you will likely confuse the pitcher, batter, catcher, coaches, scorekeeper, etc., if you just yell out "Ball!" without some sort of explanation.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

"Time, that's a ball to the batter, the count is now 3-1, play."
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 12:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
kinda defeats the purpose of trying to speed up the game
Only slows it down once. You'll make up that time within 10 pitches.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 01:41pm
Administrator

I umpire FP softball too, and I remember one time in a USSSA Girls' 16U tournament game, the team finished its turn and bat and its HC kept its players in a huddle in front of its dugout for approximately 55 seconds. The team took the field and F1 toed the Pitching Plate; I gave her the Stop Sign, said Batter Up, and then said Play Ball. The coach started to complain about his pitcher not getting any warm up pitches and I told him why she wasn't getting any. Both teams hustled onto the field after their bats the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I umpire FP softball too, and I remember one time in a USSSA Girls' 16U tournament game, the team finished its turn and bat and its HC kept its players in a huddle in front of its dugout for approximately 55 seconds. The team took the field and F1 toed the Pitching Plate; I gave her the Stop Sign, said Batter Up, and then said Play Ball. The coach started to complain about his pitcher not getting any warm up pitches and I told him why she wasn't getting any. Both teams hustled onto the field after their bats the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.
I've never refused any warm up pitches but have told to catcher to throw it down after 1 or 2. The beauty of this is that it only happens once in a game.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed game yesterday. I am HP. Pitcher is struggling to throw strikes. Starts taking FOREVER to pitch the ball. After saying a couple times, "hey guys, lets speed things up a bit" pitcher is still slow. I start visually counting (like a basketball ref) and the pitcher takes the hint and starts working faster.

My question is, if I had needed to issue a 1 ball penalty for taking more than 20 seconds to deliver the ball, what is the proper procedure to do this? Do you call time (kinda defeats the purpose of trying to speed up the game)? Do you let the pitcher remain on the rubber? Exactly how do I do this should I ever have cause to do it?
Call time, get your brush out and while cleaning the plate tell the catcher he needs to visit his pitcher and tell him to speed up delivery between pitches, significantly. I have never seen this rule applied, by the way, or done it myself, as preventive umpiring is better. Do it as soon as you notice, first inning.

If you call a ball you can bet money the offended manager will soon be complaining that opposing batters are stepping out of the box and a ball should be called.

Last edited by DG; Mon May 14, 2012 at 10:40pm.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Call time, get your brush out and while cleaning the plate tell the catcher he needs to visit his pitcher and tell him to speed up delivery between pitches, significantly. I have never seen this rule applied, by the way, or done it myself, as preventive umpiring is better. Do it as soon as you notice, first inning.

If you call a ball you can bet money the offended manager will soon be complaining that opposing batters are stepping out of the box and a ball should be called.
Agree!
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would call time and then announce, "that is a 20 second violation, ball to the batter". Similar to how you call the 90 second rule violation in college except you don't call time in college.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you should all start wearing a whistle. FoxPro has some nice ones.