The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Bulter Game - taking time off the clock

Anyone catch the end of the Bulter Game? Wow, I can not believe they took time off the clock to end the game.

Also, the backcourt with 16 secs left to play, I thought white touch the ball before the ball had back court status.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

From what I could see the clock stopped momentary at 14.7 seconds. The officials used a stop watch to time how long the clock stopped, and from what was said postgame they came to the conclusion that the clock stopped for 1.3 seconds. They then reviewed to see if the shot was off in time which it was. It was gone at 1.8 seconds and the clocked stopped when the ball cleared the basket at 1.2. Game over
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

And just where is "Bulter" University? In Indinana?
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Huge call by those guys. I didn't the benefit of a stop watch to see how long the clock had been stopped but I assumed there would at least be a fraction of a second left. They were definitely right to take time of the clock and if they determined the pause was for 1.3 seconds, they got it correct.

I'm not a BB official so I was curious to know if the jump ball call was correct. I was rooting for Butler so I was happy with the call but wasn't sure if he held it up enough.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

From what I can tell, they got the call right. That being said, I would have liked to have heard Xavier's Chris Mack's post-game press conference.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

So how did they get there?

I saw the end of the game- lots of stuff going on. What is the theory/rule that allows the officials to take time off the clock after the clock stopped, then started, then the time out with 1.2 seconds left?

I understand the explanation- clock stopped for 1.3 seconds, therefore we subtract 1.3 from 1.2 (time left on the clock at time out)- game over.

I understand the use of replay, but the stopwatch idea seems to have saved the day. Does the alternate official or the scorer always have one in NCAA D-1 (or other levels)?

What do we do if this is NFHS? Most of us won't have monitors. I suspect if we officials even notice the brief clock stoppage with all else going on at 14.7, I don't think we could estimate the amount of time, and would probably just play on at 1.2.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Butler is in Indianapolis.

From the Horizon League Network Blog:

Official Referee Explanation of the Butler-Xavier Game

Adam Coppinger · December 19, 2009

Here is the official explanation of the ruling at the end of the Butler-Xavier game:

Statement From Today’s Game Officials

The game clock was erroneously stopped at 14.7 seconds. When we put (on) the stopwatch to see how long the clock had erroneously stopped, 1.3 seconds had elapsed.

The shot by the Butler player was released at 1.8 seconds. The ball went through the net at 1.2 seconds and the clock stopped correctly.

Because we lost 1.3 seconds, that time is deducted from the remaining 1.2 seconds, officially ending the game

This release was handed to all members of the media following the conclusion of today’s game.

We’ll have plenty more from this game, and the incredible finish at Cleveland State, on this very blog over the next few days. Be sure to check back for our thoughts on these insane finishes.

Tags: Butler - Men's Basketball · Horizon League - Men's Basketball

===

From my understanding, they did EXACTLY what was supposed to be done.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 11:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
Butler is in Indianapolis.
I know Butler is in Indianapolis. My question was where is Bulter?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

"It's A Family Affair" (Sly Stone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
My question was where is Bulter?
He's the one on the upper left:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Huge call by those guys. I didn't the benefit of a stop watch to see how long the clock had been stopped but I assumed there would at least be a fraction of a second left. They were definitely right to take time of the clock and if they determined the pause was for 1.3 seconds, they got it correct.

I'm not a BB official so I was curious to know if the jump ball call was correct. I was rooting for Butler so I was happy with the call but wasn't sure if he held it up enough.
My buddy texted me and told me to watch the game and asked if the officials did what they should on the game. When I got home I got on ESPN360 and re-watched the end of the game. I reviewed the play five or six times and not once could I get my stop watch to read anything less than 1.25 even with a slow start and quick stop. With my information the differential of 1.3 seconds was correct. Tough way to lose a game, but well within their jurisdiction, with the use of a monitor.

In high school or any game without a monitor, there is very little we could do, unless one of the officials noticed the stoppage. Correct procedure would be (now correct me if I'm wrong) to stop the game when you noticed the stoppage and take what we would deem as something around 1 second from the clock and then go POI from there. We could use our partner's and the table to help us get the right time on the clock, but we wouldn't have the monitor to help us, so we'd finish the game with the time that we saw the clock at when the timeout was called (the clock wouldn't stop in high school as it comes through the net as it does in college) if we didn't have any knowledge that the clock stopped at 14.7 like it did in this game.

Last edited by Clark Kent; Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 12:20pm.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddy View Post
From what I can tell, they got the call right. That being said, I would have liked to have heard Xavier's Chris Mack's post-game press conference.
The players and coaches are going by the time left on the scoreboard. So now you are telling me that they are basically saying when the clock SHOWED 2 seconds the game was really OVER. Think about this and use COMMON SENSE. There is NO WAY you take time off the clock after they have played for 15 seconds. You let them play it out. After the basket X should of had about 1.2 seconds to in bound the ball. That game should of never ending like that.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
The players and coaches are going by the time left on the scoreboard. So now you are telling me that they are basically saying when the clock SHOWED 2 seconds the game was really OVER. Think about this and use COMMON SENSE. There is NO WAY you take time off the clock after they have played for 15 seconds. You let them play it out. After the basket X should of had about 1.2 seconds to in bound the ball. That game should of never ending like that.
No, the game was over when there was 1.3 seconds on the clock. The Butler player's shot had left his hand with 1.8 seconds on the clock (or .5 adjusted time) and went through the net with 1.2 (or .1 after time would have expired).

The clock stopped with 14.7 seconds left for 1.3 seconds, so yes the officials had full jurisdiction to adjust the clock to the correct time. It is a tough way to lose a game because everyone is thinking there is still time left on the clock. Had the Butler player shot the ball with 1.1 seconds on the clock and the officials reviewed the play and discovered that the shot shouldn't have counted and Xavier won, I doubt you'd feel as strongly as to how the game should have ended.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
No, the game was over when there was 1.3 seconds on the clock. The Butler player's shot had left his hand with 1.8 seconds on the clock (or .5 adjusted time) and went through the net with 1.2 (or .1 after time would have expired).

The clock stopped with 14.7 seconds left for 1.3 seconds, so yes the officials had full jurisdiction to adjust the clock to the correct time. It is a tough way to lose a game because everyone is thinking there is still time left on the clock. Had the Butler player shot the ball with 1.1 seconds on the clock and the officials reviewed the play and discovered that the shot shouldn't have counted and Xavier won, I doubt you'd feel as strongly as to how the game should have ended.
NO NO NO!!!! You can't do that. You are talking about something that happened 15 seconds earlier and had no affect on the game. The players are going by the scoreboard can't you see that. Stick that stop watch where the sun don't shine. Make all the excuses you want but this was mis handled.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 01:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
He's the one on the upper left:

Billy, when is the last time you were smitten with a furled umbrella?

Don't you know that the term "gentleman's gentleman" was preferred, no, demanded by Mr. French?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 01:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
NO NO NO!!!! You can't do that. You are talking about something that happened 15 seconds earlier and had no affect on the game. The players are going by the scoreboard can't you see that. Stick that stop watch where the sun don't shine. Make all the excuses you want but this was mis handled.
I don't know how the NCAA rule reads in this matter, but I think it is undeniable that this is potentially unfair to one team for this reason.

Lonesome Dove